PDA

View Full Version : best way to use a jig under a cork

matt1991
02-22-2019, 02:27 AM
iv never had success with jigs like i have with minnows maybe its my retrieve method? i usually use a weighted round cork or cigar shaped cork about 2-4 feet deep i slowly reel and lightly jerk every 2 times i reel is this how you work the jigs? i wish i could use a smaller un weighted cork but the fact i cant cast it out far bank fishing forces me to use a weighted cork

Crappkid
02-22-2019, 04:39 AM
You might want to try those small spinners that you can snap a jig on, like the Johnson beetle spins, be good for a light rig casting & retrieving,
When Iím using jig under a float Iím just flipping it around the stick ups, but Iím in the boat

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com

Ketchn
02-22-2019, 05:51 AM
larger diameter spools on a good spinning reel and the lightest line you can get away with will help with distance .
I love floats and use them quite often and never use a weighted one . as far as action goes I always let the fish dictate what is needed .
sometimes in can sit dead still for a while and get bit and other times it needs to be quite frisky . very slow dragging it is possibly the best of the start patterns with a light twitch every foot or 2 .
and yes sometimes distance is everything when you are on the bank .

Crestliner08
02-22-2019, 05:55 AM
First of all, on your jigs, what kinds of plastics have you tried? Under a bobber, just about any kind will work at one time or another, but some shine over others.

In cold water, under a bobber, it's hard to beat the simple straight tailed plastic such as the Bobby Garland Baby Shads. What I usually do is once the jig has settled under the bobber, I wait about a minute (sometimes this "do-nothing" retrieve is dynamite!) then start a slow, steady retrieve back to me. Occaisionally during this retrieve I will stop and let the jig settle again before bringing it home. If there are crappie in the vicinity, you will get bit! Just remember to vary the length of the jig to the bobber to cover all depths of the water column.

During the warmer months, I'll just use cast & retrieve presentation. At this time I lean towards the small swimbait/paddletailed plastics such as the Charlie Brewers Sliders, on a 1/16 or 1/8 oz. jig head. I retrieve the bait as soon as it hits the water, straining the top of the water column. Then I progressively count it down on consecutive casts to cover the entire water column. Sometimes a slow, almost on-bottom type of retrieve works best. You just have to experiment and try different baits, making sure to strain all areas of the water, top to bottom, slow to fast, to see what the fish want. Afterall, it's the fish that has the final say. :)

CliffordN
02-22-2019, 06:02 AM
I wrote a little about this here... Others added to it... Lots of info... https://www.crappie.com/crappie/crappie-fishing-styles/353113-jig-cork-shallow-water/

glasseyes
02-22-2019, 07:06 AM
i do most of my crappie fishing in cold weather. I fish a lake area that has a channel running close to a shallow bay i fish. I use a bobber and 1/32 oz jig i make using a #1 size hook and the BG shad baits or small tubes. I fish from the bank and use a 9'6" rod with 4 lb. test line. The best bobber i have used doing this to get the long casts i want and easy to detect the slightest hits , is the rocket bobber. used with the 1/32 oz jig it works fantastic.

tahoe 50
02-22-2019, 04:48 PM
Growing up in California the water is very clear. We used a bobber that was clear, and you opened it up and put water in it. That was your casting weight. You didn't fill it up, about a 1/4 of it. I have seen them in some of the tackle shops.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

matt1991
02-22-2019, 09:13 PM
i have 3 types of jigs

http://mytackle.webcluster.com/content/images/thumbs/0168303_johnson_beetle_bou_marabou_crappie_jigs_jo hnson_beetle_bou_marabou_crappie_jigs_200.jpg

got this in solid white
http://www.deepcreeklures.com/storenew/media/ecom/prodlg/crappie%20jigs%20lg.png

got this in green and red

andgot this here with pink and brown

https://monkeysee.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/msl_prepare20a20jig.jpg

matt1991
02-22-2019, 09:14 PM
id like to get the gulp 1 inch minnows with a 1/64th jig head cause its small enough also to catch bluegill i hear they work very well

Jamesdean
02-23-2019, 04:04 AM
I also fish from the bank and use between a 7' to my 12' jigging rod. I have found to get the distance I use a slip float rig with a 1/32 to 1/16 oz jig, but I come up about 16-24 inches above the jig with a removable clinch on weight. I usually get out to about 25-35 yards from shore. Sometimes a bit farther. I use the clear bobbers or one I maybe from a wine cork by frilling a hole through it and putting a legth of bamboo skewer threw with a loop secured to one end for line attachment. Works real good.

shipahoy41
02-23-2019, 09:12 AM
I like to use a double rig set up under a slip float. A 1/8th ounce jig on top and a #4 hook below gives me castability and versatility from the bank. This is what it looks like in an aquarium.

Grainraiser
02-23-2019, 07:11 PM
Growing up in California the water is very clear. We used a bobber that was clear, and you opened it up and put water in it. That was your casting weight. You didn't fill it up, about a 1/4 of it. I have seen them in some of the tackle shops.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Those are called casting bubbles. I have some small ones made my Eagle Claw. They great for fishing clear water. Like stated you add water to them to add weight. You use them more to add casting weight than as a bobber.

ClearLKCrappie
02-25-2019, 06:12 PM
id like to get the gulp 1 inch minnows with a 1/64th jig head cause its small enough also to catch bluegill i hear they work very well

I use a lot of the Gulp minnows, but in the 2.5 inch size. They are my number 1 choice.

wolfhnd
02-25-2019, 06:26 PM
I like to use a double rig set up under a slip float. A 1/8th ounce jig on top and a #4 hook below gives me castability and versatility from the bank. This is what it looks like in an aquarium.

What distance do you place the lures apart?

matt1991
02-26-2019, 07:12 PM
I use a lot of the Gulp minnows, but in the 2.5 inch size. They are my number 1 choice.

even over jigs?

shipahoy41
02-26-2019, 08:24 PM
What distance do you place the lures apart?

About 10 inches

Crabballs69
02-26-2019, 08:38 PM
been having the same issue fishing loch raven here in Md as of late :dono

matt1991
02-26-2019, 11:22 PM
been having the same issue fishing loch raven here in Md as of late :dono

rough city lol

BAFishBarn
03-05-2019, 12:53 PM
I've been experimenting with the jig under float myself. Using a weight float. Crappie Ciller has been telling me to get slip bobbers so I can adjust depth easily and have the best castability and I need to get some. From the sounds of it, it's the way yo go for sure.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87936)

deathb4disco
03-05-2019, 01:07 PM
For me, the best way to use a jig under a cork is not to use a jig under a cork. If I'm moving a bait through the water, I don't want it under a float of any kind. YMMV

TAZ
03-05-2019, 03:34 PM
I fish hair jigs I make under a bobber all the time. Rarely do I ever use a minnow, If I am around lilly pads or tree tops I will use a weed less tube jig. Most of the time I use a small plastic bobber and if the wind gets up I will use a bigger one. My opinion is that crappie will hit that hair jig just as fast as a minnow . Most of my fishing is usually over stake beds.

Fish on Line
03-05-2019, 04:18 PM
We have lots of Cypress trees here in Sportsmans Paradise .. so fishing very shallow water my choice is the Porcupine Quill with a tiny float of about 3/8 inch to 1/2 inch in size .. this looks like the Cypress ball with a stick attached .. Fish see these all the time. any wave action jiggles the bait and is castable to about 30 Feet -- The Quill makes the take that might not be seen obvious stand out when it tips down without any resistance for the fish to feel

Catfish Tony
03-05-2019, 10:56 PM
Around here in our reservoirs, a bobber is only useful during the spawn. I just caught a crappie that was 55ft deep on top of trees on a very light bite, wouldn't have budged a bobber. I've tried the slip bobber but have never been real successful deeper than about 20ft, something between not detecting the bite and swinging too late. Jigs over minnows in reservoirs and minnows over jigs in really stained water, especially shallower waters around here. My bobber season is late April, May, and June.

wolfhnd
03-05-2019, 11:05 PM
Around here in our reservoirs, a bobber is only useful during the spawn. I just caught a crappie that was 55ft deep on top of trees on a very light bite, wouldn't have budged a bobber. I've tried the slip bobber but have never been real successful deeper than about 20ft, something between not detecting the bite and swinging too late. Jigs over minnows in reservoirs and minnows over jigs in really stained water, especially shallower waters around here. My bobber season is late April, May, and June.

That sounds right to me. I have only caught Crappie on jigs under bobbers when I was moving the bobber. If I was going to use slip bobbers I would probably go minnows unless the fish are pretty shallow like 6 ft.

Never caught a Crappie in 55 ft of water. In the summer the lakes I fish have a thermocline of around 12 ft and deep water is apparently pretty dead. Can you expand on your experience a bit?

Catfish Tony
03-05-2019, 11:26 PM
Our reservoirs are deep and clear. 30ft trees in 80ft of water. Crappie are just coming out of wherever they go for winter and the first place they show up are on top of trees in the creek channels. Those trees 3 weeks ago were barely touching water are now 80 ft. What I do is use my ff to find trees, then drop jig with split shot "18" above till I feel the snag. Pull jig approx 1-2ft from snag and deadstick jig above treetop.333238

wolfhnd
03-06-2019, 12:05 AM
Our reservoirs are deep and clear. 30ft trees in 80ft of water. Crappie are just coming out of wherever they go for winter and the first place they show up are on top of trees in the creek channels. Those trees 3 weeks ago were barely touching water are now 80 ft. What I do is use my ff to find trees, then drop jig with split shot "18" above till I feel the snag. Pull jig approx 1-2ft from snag and deadstick jig above treetop.

When do the lakes turn over?

Catfish Tony
03-06-2019, 09:03 AM
In about 3 weeks the water will go from clear to 6ft visibility. That's when crappie move to 18ft and shallower.

matt1991
03-06-2019, 11:29 PM
so fishing jigs from a bank do you think its best to use a slip cork around 2 t 3 feet and just slowly retrieve the jig with slight jerks? guys use jigs differently in boats i realize just wondering what the bets method for me with jigs on bank will be if i end up liking it ill stop having to buy minnows which will save me lots of time

Catfish Tony
03-06-2019, 11:37 PM
Cigar balsa on a slow retrieve with a curly tail is my go to when banking it.

CrappiePappy
03-07-2019, 12:01 AM
so fishing jigs from a bank do you think its best to use a slip cork around 2 t 3 feet and just slowly retrieve the jig with slight jerks? guys use jigs differently in boats i realize just wondering what the bets method for me with jigs on bank will be if i end up liking it ill stop having to buy minnows which will save me lots of time

A slip float will cast more easily and possibly farther, since the weight of the jig/float is more or less at the end of the line. A fixed float with the same depth setting will "tumble" or "spin" when being cast, and the jig could possibly hang into the main line before splashdown, for that very reason.

Most use slip floats because they're easier to cast with, and especially with shorter rods. The problem with shorter rods & a jig/float rigging is the shorter rod can't always take up all the slack between the rod tip and float when a bite is perceived, which can result in a less than adequate hookset. The greater the distance between rod & float, the more problematic it is.

But, to answer your question ... yes. Cast out and retrieve in one of several ways : slow/steady/pause - slow/light jerk/pause - slow/constant light jerk - etc. Just remember that any retrieve speed is going to pull the jig higher in the water column, and a pause is necessary to allow the jig's weight to pull the line thru the float until the bobber stop reaches it. Using a jig with sufficient weight to pull the line thru the float & pull the float upright & a float with a line tube that allows the line to easily run thru it will work in your favor when using slip float/jig rigs. Also remember to try and keep the main line, between the rod & float, as straight as possible ... so that your slack line is as short as possible. And start reeling before you jerk the rod upwards (once you see the float go down), as this will also shorten the slack line distance ... putting more power/speed into your hookset.

hdhntr
03-07-2019, 09:48 AM
another great conversation about how to use bobbers and the many variations of it. Thanks guys and is whey the CDC community is so helpful to those wanting to learn how to improve their crappie fishing!

SpeckledSlab
03-07-2019, 10:13 AM
What method of attaching the loop to the skewer have you found to work best? Thanks