Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else allergic to fish attractants?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Anyone else allergic to fish attractants?

I've tried a couple different fish attractants and always seem to have a major allergic reaction right after? I do have a bad shellfish allergy and i figure that there is shrimp in the fish attractant. I know this is not a normal review on the SLAB SAUCE. I ordered one of each last week and just couldn't wait to get them in the mail. I got them Tuesday finally got out this evening for a couple hours so I doused the jig with slabsauce made my first cast and caught a crappie. So I can honestly say that is some good stuff it seemed to work. I cast again caught another one. Then like most fisherman I went fishing in the trees and snapped my jig off. So I tied up again and thought I'd try the same color with no slab sauce needless to say didn't get a bite. So I squirted some more on the new jig and went back to catching fish. Then I noticed I was feeling pretty rough and thought it might be a reaction. So I waited it out a few minutes and was feeling worse. Then I decided to get me a cough drop out of my shirt pocket and not thinking I had that cough drop in my hand that had the slab sauce on it. I popped it in my mouth and started feeling real bad so I head for the truck about 150 yards away. By the time I got to my truck I couldn't breathe my tongue had swollen up felt like I was laying in a straw patch in July the way I was sweating and itching. Luckily I carry benadryl in my truck so I chewed two up and got them down and within 20 mins the swelling started to go down and the itching let up. I'm now at home feeling a little better but not 100 percent. Probably should have hit the epi pen but the benadryl kicked in so we are all good now. I will say slab sauce works and encourage anyone who don't use it to try it. As for me I'm gonna steer clear of fish attractants in general thanks I know it's a long post but had to tell it all.

Sent from my SM-J337U using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

My problem is,fish are allergic to me

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yaker View Post
    That's never good haha

Takeum is offline Crappie.com 3K Star General * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Only if I get it in my mouths, It causes me to gag and spit...lol
    Ranger boats
    Perotti pro holders
    Avery outdoors superstore
    Likes huntinslabs LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

The only one I’m allergic to is anise oil. It gets me pretty bad.....I no longer use it.

Regards

Sent from my iPad using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yaker View Post
    Thought I was the only one with this problem.
    -------> "Go ahead --- leave me on the dock --- see if I care" <-------

Redge is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2017 Man Of The Year
    Post Thanks / Like

I hadn’t ever thought of that! Thanks for the heads up.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer!

catchNgrease is offline Crappie.com 3K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I would figure that all mainstream plastic jigs of all sorts would have some sort of attractant on them.

Sent from my E6810 using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

ezgoing is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to hear you have this problem. Have you tried the skin type gloves that are used for cleaning and by health agencies. Costco has a large box that is not that expensive. This might keep the attractant from getting on your skin and causing this problem.

I would also use a dipping bowl instead of spraying the attractant on the jig. That would keep most of it out of the air so you would not breath the molecules of it in to your lungs.

Or you could fall back to an old fish attractant that was very effective. Catch a bream, fillet it leaving the skin and scales on the fillet and cut the fillet into small pieces to put on your jigs. If it's too small to fillet then just cut it into small chunks. At one time I caught a lot of crappie and other fish using this procedure.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ezgoing View Post
    Sorry to hear you have this problem. Have you tried the skin type gloves that are used for cleaning and by health agencies. Costco has a large box that is not that expensive. This might keep the attractant from getting on your skin and causing this problem.

I would also use a dipping bowl instead of spraying the attractant on the jig. That would keep most of it out of the air so you would not breath the molecules of it in to your lungs.

Or you could fall back to an old fish attractant that was very effective. Catch a bream, fillet it leaving the skin and scales on the fillet and cut the fillet into small pieces to put on your jigs. If it's too small to fillet then just cut it into small chunks. At one time I caught a lot of crappie and other fish using this procedure.
    I've tried gloves before on bait in Florida they seem to work. I may try the Bream cut bait trick

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast