Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 17 keeps on the freezer

Post Thanks / Like

Default 17 keeps on the freezer

So me and my buddy went fishing for a good 5 hours and caught 22 fish only 17 were keepers though.

Is it ok if I just wrap the crappie and bluegill WHOLE in some foil and cook em real good on the grill, then when i eat em just peel off the skin with a knife and eat the meat right off the body with a fork?

I know it may seem nasty but i'm lazy and don't have any good knives at the moment. Is this safe? Could this get me sick? thanks

Post Thanks / Like

i dont know about getting sick but you dont need a good knife just to cut the head off and gut them. use a spoon to scale them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bama647
    i dont know about getting sick but you dont need a good knife just to cut the head off and gut them. use a spoon to scale them.
    Like I said, I'm lazy =) Plus another reason I ask this is cuz I already froze them when there are whole which may have already ruined them, I don't know

bobberdown is offline Slabmaster II * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Good God! I have a vision of this. A bunch of aluminum foil balloons on the grill looking like party balloons and all of a sudden hissing and popping.

Let us know how they turn out.

Post Thanks / Like

My Dad, rest his soul, told me he used to catch bluegill and just pack them in mud, then bake them on a campfire until the mud got hard. Then they would just break open the mud and pick the meat off the bones. He lived over 20 years after that. Don't know about having them frozen, but they will be ok if they were not spoiled before they were frozen. Just thaw, gut and fry. If you don't like them that way, then get a sharp knife and fillet them next time. Or just throw them all back and don't keep any. Your options are endless. Did you know that with a good file and a butterknife you could perform an appendectomy? After only 8 years of medical training? Wow...
    I have a jig with a face like this!:eek:

Post Thanks / Like

Please at least gut them!! I think you will live with the hide and head on though.
    DP
    I am a heterosexual male. 2 Chronicles 7:14
    "If my people who are called by My name will humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from Heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land."

Post Thanks / Like

I have to agree with the other fellows, at least gut them!!! I can't help but think you asking for problems cooking them with their insides still in there. I believe they might just blow up on you!!
    Monk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Glowgood Jigster
    My Dad, rest his soul, told me he used to catch bluegill and just pack them in mud, then bake them on a campfire until the mud got hard. Then they would just break open the mud and pick the meat off the bones. He lived over 20 years after that. Don't know about having them frozen, but they will be ok if they were not spoiled before they were frozen. Just thaw, gut and fry. If you don't like them that way, then get a sharp knife and fillet them next time. Or just throw them all back and don't keep any. Your options are endless. Did you know that with a good file and a butterknife you could perform an appendectomy? After only 8 years of medical training? Wow...
    That's the same way you cook carp. You wrap them in mud, cook them until they're done, throw away the carp, and eat the mud. :D

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FishnLine
    That's the same way you cook carp. You wrap them in mud, cook them until they're done, throw away the carp, and eat the mud. :D
    I eat carp in a similar way. I like to marinate it in Zesty italian dressing after I have wrapped it in peppered bacon. After a few hours, I grill it then throw the fish away and eat the bacon. MMMMMgood!!!!
    DP
    I am a heterosexual male. 2 Chronicles 7:14
    "If my people who are called by My name will humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from Heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land."

Post Thanks / Like

I'd gut 'em at least. Any old knife, or even a pair of kitchen scissors will work for that.

Even the folks on "Survivor" gut their fish before sticking them in the fire.

I'd scrape the scales off too. A spoon or a steak knife will work if you don't have a scaler.

Lazy is fine, but it won't take but a few minutes to gut and scale them - even without a good knife. The end result will be a tasty meal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast