Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spoon Feedin' Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Default Spoon Feedin' Crappie

As much crappie fishing as I have done in my lifetime I have never tried using a jigging spoon to catch crappie. I would like to try it this year.
    Any ideas on what type, weight, or color of spoons to use. What time of year is the best?
    I've read where a lot of people modify the spoons for crappie, changing out the hooks,ect.
    CATCH A BIG-UN

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by slabbandit
    As much crappie fishing as I have done in my lifetime I have never tried using a jigging spoon to catch crappie. I would like to try it this year.
    Any ideas on what type, weight, or color of spoons to use. What time of year is the best?
    I've read where a lot of people modify the spoons for crappie, changing out the hooks,ect.
    I can't remember any names this morning. But, you might try some of the east coast forums. The fellow that is having stalker troubles can probably educate you. It ain't getting boring catching them on them big head jigs is it?
    I am a heterosexual male. 2 Chronicles 7:14
    "If my people who are called by My name will humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from Heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land."

Post Thanks / Like

Slabbandit, check with Crappieday he has them in all sizes and all colors . He is the spoon guy..Dennis

Post Thanks / Like

slabbandit, Our spoons are very light, they are between 1/64 - 1/32 and our new one that weights 3/16. they can be used inline with a jig to troll or you can jig em around brush or docks. We plan to be back up and running sunday night. my wife has had a stalker problem so we shut down to get a handle on it. by sunday we will have his number, name and address but we will be back up either way. If he wants to order and get our address he ( the stalker ) is welcome to come on by and say howdy her are some pics of recent ice catches with the Micro Spoons. They can be tipped with minnnows,nibbles,plastics or nothing at all.
    Name:  tessiehook.jpg
Views: 3125
Size:  46.5 KB

Name:  tessiehookcrappie.jpg
Views: 3252
Size:  44.5 KB

Name:  CRAPPIEQUEEN 6 POUNDER.jpg
Views: 2489
Size:  45.4 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Default spoons

I carry some spoons but almost never use them. Other guys are correct alot of spoon are more related to ice fishing/cold weather.
    2 smallest sizes of johnson hammered spoons
    Rattler spoon
    sweedish pimple as I recall
    Kastmaster
    I have a few other odd ball brand mini spoons and I think some by bluefox.
    "Some days im Basstastic other days im crapptacular"

Post Thanks / Like

I can fully endorse crappieday spoons caught alot of crappie on them.

Post Thanks / Like

When, if any, is an appropriate time to throw a spoon vs something like a plastic or jig?

Post Thanks / Like

When you know they are there but stop or wont bite a jig, drop em a spoon. It has a slower fall and different action and thats what triggers the bite. Spoons are not for every occasion but I have been catching them on a jig around structure or docks and the bite stopped after I caught a few, I then drop a spoon down and jig it, if it reaches the bottom with out a hit. Most hits come when the spoon is falling

crappiekid24 is offline Moderator Ice Fishing Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Crappieday is right! Spoons work better then jigs when the bite gets tough because of the slower fall. I got some of crappieday's spoons and they are great! I cant wait to try them out this summer.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey DrPepper, No I haven't got tired of using the Bighead Jigs yet. I'm always looking for different ways to crappie fish and was wondering about jigging spoons in the river channel in the winter or hot summer. I've caught crappie close to 20 feet deep on the Bighead Jigs but I thought it would be fun to try it with a spoon.
    Has anyone ever tried one while nightstalking?
    CATCH A BIG-UN

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast