Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: help with reel

Post Thanks / Like

Default help with reel

iv always used spincast reels due to there ease id lik to buya spinning reel now since i bank fish and i need to be able to cast my bait out much farther can u get a pretty good reel for under 20 bucks?

also what size rod should i get? id think a 7 foot rod would b a bit much for bank fishing for crappie or am i wrong?

Post Thanks / Like

Your budget constraints are tough to work with. If you can extend that up to the $30. - $40.00 range, your odds go up dramatically. The Pflueger Trion in small to medium size will work just fine. And the 7' rod would be ideal for your purpose. Take a look at the BPS Micro-lite series - decent rods at reasonable prices. You should be able to find something there that would fit the bill.

As far as long casts are concerned, the line has a lot to do with it. You might want to look at a good "fused" line (not a braid) with a fluorocarbon leader. The fused lines (like 4# test Fireline) will allow greater casting distance than any mono can hope for and the fluoro leader will give you the abrasion resistance that you need on the business end. Join the two with the Alberto knot and you're good to go. Good Luck and let us know how you make out.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."
    Likes Cropduster1968, redfin00 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

You need to add $10 to your reel budget. You can then look at the Shimano Sienna or Quantum Optix to name a few. Get a 1000 or size 20 size reel. If casting distance is really important to you a fused lined like stated above will make the largest difference. For me a 6-7 ft med-light rod is just about perfect for casting. Anything less than 6ft are typically ultralight rods. 8 footers are longer are typically used for vertical jigging or pitching jigs. They are better suited for fishing structure near the bank. Longer rods shine when being used for this application because you can pick apart structure by lowering your jig exactly were you want it. This is crucial when fishing during the spawn. Goodluck with you search.
    Likes INDyak LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

My local walmart routinely has LEWS, mr crappie combos for less than 20$. Or Abu Garcia, they can be a bit more but I'm fond of them. They also have Shakespeare brand Light and UL combos for about the same $, also a decent setup for the price IMO..

Post Thanks / Like

If you want casting distance you will need at least a 20 size reel the bigger spools will allow longer casts. For the rod I would not go any thing shorter then 7 foot for long casts an 8 footer would be even better. You want the rod light enough so the baits you are using will load up the rod properly, more then likely a very soft tip a MLXF ( Medium Light Extra Fast) for Crappie size baits. Ever watch surf casters they are using 14 foot plus rods to make long casts.

For me I would look at 6lb braided line 1lb diameter, it is very limp and fishing from the bank will save you some baits as it is strong enough to bend light wire jig hooks

Post Thanks / Like

Shimano IX series.I use the IX2000 it has rear drag and is smooth.You can buy them around 15.00 bucks.
    IN IT FOR THE THUMP!
    Likes Techno2000 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Check Walmart I bought a size 30 trion today for $30

Post Thanks / Like

Once you get used to spinning reels you'll want a quality reel like the pflueger president.
    Its not unusual to find them on sale.
    Pflueger President Spinning Reel | DICK'S Sporting Goods

Post Thanks / Like

Don't overlook just buying a cheap combo. Lots of places are clearing out rods and a lot of times you can find a combo cheaper than a reel. Even my cheaper reels lasted a long time and I was pretty hard on them as a kid we had 1 rod to catch everything.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ford man View Post
    Shimano IX series.I use the IX2000 it has rear drag and is smooth.You can buy them around 15.00 bucks.
    Yep...got a bunch of those,they work just fine, and I like trigger and the rear drag.
    Likes ford man LIKED above post

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast