PDA

View Full Version : help with reel

matt1991
02-17-2019, 03:31 AM
iv always used spincast reels due to there ease id lik to buya spinning reel now since i bank fish and i need to be able to cast my bait out much farther can u get a pretty good reel for under 20 bucks?

also what size rod should i get? id think a 7 foot rod would b a bit much for bank fishing for crappie or am i wrong?

Crestliner08
02-17-2019, 07:43 AM
Your budget constraints are tough to work with. If you can extend that up to the $30. - $40.00 range, your odds go up dramatically. The Pflueger Trion in small to medium size will work just fine. And the 7' rod would be ideal for your purpose. Take a look at the BPS Micro-lite series - decent rods at reasonable prices. You should be able to find something there that would fit the bill.

As far as long casts are concerned, the line has a lot to do with it. You might want to look at a good "fused" line (not a braid) with a fluorocarbon leader. The fused lines (like 4# test Fireline) will allow greater casting distance than any mono can hope for and the fluoro leader will give you the abrasion resistance that you need on the business end. Join the two with the Alberto knot and you're good to go. Good Luck and let us know how you make out. :)

Grainraiser
02-17-2019, 08:55 AM
You need to add $10 to your reel budget. You can then look at the Shimano Sienna or Quantum Optix to name a few. Get a 1000 or size 20 size reel. If casting distance is really important to you a fused lined like stated above will make the largest difference. For me a 6-7 ft med-light rod is just about perfect for casting. Anything less than 6ft are typically ultralight rods. 8 footers are longer are typically used for vertical jigging or pitching jigs. They are better suited for fishing structure near the bank. Longer rods shine when being used for this application because you can pick apart structure by lowering your jig exactly were you want it. This is crucial when fishing during the spawn. Goodluck with you search.

INDyak
02-17-2019, 11:13 AM
My local walmart routinely has LEWS, mr crappie combos for less than 20$. Or Abu Garcia, they can be a bit more but I'm fond of them. They also have Shakespeare brand Light and UL combos for about the same $, also a decent setup for the price IMO..

Bricks
02-17-2019, 11:22 AM
If you want casting distance you will need at least a 20 size reel the bigger spools will allow longer casts. For the rod I would not go any thing shorter then 7 foot for long casts an 8 footer would be even better. You want the rod light enough so the baits you are using will load up the rod properly, more then likely a very soft tip a MLXF ( Medium Light Extra Fast) for Crappie size baits. Ever watch surf casters they are using 14 foot plus rods to make long casts.

For me I would look at 6lb braided line 1lb diameter, it is very limp and fishing from the bank will save you some baits as it is strong enough to bend light wire jig hooks

ford man
02-17-2019, 03:04 PM
Shimano IX series.I use the IX2000 it has rear drag and is smooth.You can buy them around 15.00 bucks.

76cherokee
02-17-2019, 11:07 PM
Check Walmart I bought a size 30 trion today for $30

FIN
02-17-2019, 11:24 PM
Once you get used to spinning reels you'll want a quality reel like the pflueger president.
Its not unusual to find them on sale.
Pflueger President Spinning Reel | DICK'S Sporting Goods (https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/pflueger-president-spinning-reel-17pfluprsdnt30spnree/17pfluprsdnt30spnree)

76cherokee
02-18-2019, 08:53 AM
Don't overlook just buying a cheap combo. Lots of places are clearing out rods and a lot of times you can find a combo cheaper than a reel. Even my cheaper reels lasted a long time and I was pretty hard on them as a kid we had 1 rod to catch everything.

Techno2000
02-18-2019, 05:57 PM
Shimano IX series.I use the IX2000 it has rear drag and is smooth.You can buy them around 15.00 bucks.

Yep...got a bunch of those,they work just fine, and I like trigger and the rear drag.

matt1991
02-18-2019, 07:01 PM
so your saying that any spinning reel n rod combo for30 bucks is a piece of junk ehh i also hope to get one pre spooled since im sure it will cause me some issues i have veryy bad add sadly lol i can barely put line on a spincast reel tying 3 overhead knots and reeling the line in so hopefully ill get one prespooled so i can learn t work with it i got a spinning reel for 20 bucks when i was 15 and it ended up backlashing bad on me for some reason the reel part seems to fall off a lot idk why

deathb4disco
02-18-2019, 07:24 PM
... i got a spinning reel for 20 bucks when i was 15 and it ended up backlashing bad on me for some reason the reel part seems to fall off a lot idk why

There's a strong relationship between paying $20 for a reel and having it backlash and having parts fall off.

Take the $20 you're willing to spend on a spinning reel and add that the $40 you're willing to spend on a baitcasting reel:

https://www.crappie.com/crappie/catfish-fishing/387827-baitcasting-reels/

Use that $60 to buy a better quality spinning reel.

76cherokee
02-18-2019, 08:18 PM
I say if you have a limited budget just buy what looks best to you and go fishing. I just started buying nicer rods and reels this year and I still have a lot of cheap rods and reels and they still work. Iíve been there and I think itís better to buy a budget reel and still be able to afford whatever you need to go than to overspend and not have the funds to enjoy your new equipment.

INDyak
02-18-2019, 10:27 PM
so your saying that any spinning reel n rod combo for30 bucks is a piece of junk ehh i also hope to get one pre spooled since im sure it will cause me some issues i have veryy bad add sadly lol i can barely put line on a spincast reel tying 3 overhead knots and reeling the line in so hopefully ill get one prespooled so i can learn t work with it i got a spinning reel for 20 bucks when i was 15 and it ended up backlashing bad on me for some reason the reel part seems to fall off a lot idk why

I dont think anybody has said that. Theres been several suggestions. Use what you like, can afford, or heck even looks cool. As many have said, the cheap ones do work. Are they ideal, no, but the certainly do work. Get something and get a line in the water, nothing replaces experience..and most importantly, have fun

senkosam
02-19-2019, 09:36 AM
Casting distance/ accuracy depends on lure weight #1. If you're casting 1/8 oz or heavier lures, distance will be greater than casting 1/32 oz lures. Rod action is the next most important factor depending on the average lure weight you're casting. In my experience, medium action rods don't cut it for light lures because the 1/3 length nearest the tip doesn't load up (bend) enough. Too many ultralight rods bend too much towards the middle and make fighting larger fish a problem when fish get too near the boat. But bank fishing might not be a problem as long as fish can be played near and away from weeds and forced in a direction you choose.

As for myself, a light action spinning rod between 6 - 6.5', a reel I can lubricate that's between the large and small sizes sold, that has a ratio of 5.2:1 and a smooth drag, can make your fishing day comfortable, more accurate and less frustrating. Rod/line sensitivity is of utmost importance when using light lures as well as imparting the right action to light lures. Few lures don't need manipulation by the angler to generate strikes and the tackle package - rod, reel, line and lure, really makes a big difference!

For panfish I use 8# test (2# test diameter) uncoated braid that's supple with a 6# test fluorocarbon lead of 1.5' for distance casts, p/u sensitivity, gradual rod-sweep hook sets, best lure action and fish playing. If there's one thing I can't stand is line twist. Braid has the least twist of the other types and fused braid is no different than monofilament IMO.

Just one angler's opinion supported by a yearly average of over 600 fish - some reaching 7-15 lbs. (catfish/ carp).

matt1991
02-19-2019, 02:56 PM
There's a strong relationship between paying $20 for a reel and having it backlash and having parts fall off.

Take the $20 you're willing to spend on a spinning reel and add that the $40 you're willing to spend on a baitcasting reel:

https://www.crappie.com/crappie/catfish-fishing/387827-baitcasting-reels/

Use that $60 to buy a better quality spinning reel.

yeah a member from the site is sending me2 pfluger trion reels i cant wait gonna get them and add 4 or 6 pound line to them now i gotta buy 2 spinning rods walmart wont have anything decent might have t order form bass proshops id like to have 1 good rod for crappie i once went in and felt the crappie max basspro brand the yellow one and my god it was so sensitive think it was 19 or 29 bucks

its a little difficult for me now getting into more advanced fishing since everyone i knew growing up only had your basic zebcos

matt1991
02-19-2019, 03:05 PM
Access Denied (https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/bass-pro-shops-micro-lite-glass-spinning-rod)

Access Denied (https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/bass-pro-shops-crappie-maxx-signature-series-crappie-spinning-rod-100012946-1)

im thinking of getting one of these i think the second one is the rod i was talking about i reallyloved the feel of it iv never bought expensive rods always 10 dollar ones form walamrt or bought combos so id like to have a good flexible rod to make the fight for panfish much more fun im not sure about the gauges of medium light and ultra light though im such a noob that till recently i thought all rods fit all reels i didnt realize the larger line rings were meant for spinning reels thank god i never bought a spinning rod for my spincast that could have went bad

Takeum
02-19-2019, 03:22 PM
I bought several Kast King orcas a few years back which at the time only cost $30 each but they do have several that were cheaper,, these are great reels at very low cost with a great reputation,,,,
Shop Spinning Reel - In Stock Ships Today ! (https://www.shopkastking.com/category/fishing-reel/spinning-reel/)

FIN
02-19-2019, 06:30 PM
Here is a clearance deal on Pflueger President reel. Also check the combo deals.
Clearance Reels and Combos, Sale | Pflueger (http://www.pfluegerfishing.com/pflueger-clearance/)

Lake Life
02-19-2019, 07:19 PM
I normally buy Pflueger Presidents but I picked up a couple of Pflueger Trions the other day that were on sale. I really like them. You can usually get them for about $30. Buy them at Academy and they will spool mono line on it for free. You can also get a 7 ft BnM Sam Heaton Super Sensitive rod from Walmart for about $35. Makes a great pairing that will jig and cast.

FurFlyin
02-19-2019, 07:21 PM
If you're going to use pre spooled line, you're not going to be happy with your purchase. :twocents

wannabe fisherman
02-20-2019, 06:02 AM
If you're going to use pre spooled line, you're not going to be happy with your purchase. :twocents

FOR SURE, They're usually filled with cheap line that's stiff as wire and 10lb test

FIN
02-20-2019, 06:50 PM
FOR SURE, They're usually filled with cheap line that's stiff as wire and 10lb test

:hesaid

matt1991
02-20-2019, 09:03 PM

most reels presppooled i see use stren or trilene which is decent line right

FurFlyin
02-20-2019, 09:32 PM
most reels presppooled i see use stren or trilene which is decent line right

Yes, but most are prespooled with 10# line and you'll want 4# or 6# at most. I've never seen a reel that was prespooled that the line wasn't a mess of curls.