PDA

View Full Version : February insanity

hog pawn
02-15-2019, 06:49 PM
Happens every year as far back as i can remember. February weather is nasty and inconsistent but im just chomping at the bit to wet a line. Currently 31dg high tomorrow hits 40 about 2pm. And im thinking about giving it a shot.havent heard any reports.a man can only reorganize so many times. I need to wet a line. Would love to hear a success story of fish caught under such terrible conditions. Some good tips. Or a call from a good counselor .😁

catchNgrease
02-15-2019, 07:03 PM
Tip #1 dip your rod tip in the water often to unfreeze the eyes.
Tip #2 dress in black

Sent from my E6810 using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87936)

stormcloud
02-15-2019, 07:04 PM
I'm in the same boat. I'm going to crank up spring fishing the 18th regardless of the weather. If it's too bad that day I'm going the next.

hog pawn
02-15-2019, 07:14 PM
catchNgrease i will add a thermos of coffee that lol!!

catchNgrease
02-15-2019, 07:17 PM
If you're settling on 45 degree water it's kinda like being on warming pad if the air is 30.

Sent from my E6810 using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87936)

Locator79
02-15-2019, 07:47 PM
I catch them all winter I'm the 20's and 30's as long as there's no hard water. Just go when the wind isn't forecasted to howl and layer up. High water everywhere here or I'd be out tomorrow with high 20's starting out.

Sent from my Z983 using Tapatalk

Ketchn
02-16-2019, 07:57 AM
tough to pattern this time of year ,what was was and what is is
Tricky darn fishes

Crestliner08
02-16-2019, 11:26 AM
Look on the bright side, at least you might get the opportunity to wet a line! Here abouts we're still dealing with frozen water. Another month or so though and things will start to change. If I had conditions you've got now, I'd be out there for sure. Climbing the walls here! LOL!

Lonnie84
02-16-2019, 11:58 AM
My best catch to date as far as numbers goes was in 25 dg weather.

ezgoing
02-16-2019, 05:57 PM
You have my respect for what you endure for the love of crappie fishing. And my sympathy for having to endure those conditions.

ET Fish
02-16-2019, 06:26 PM
Temps are not as big of problem for me as the above average amounts of rain. Rain and muddy water are not in my Crappie catching strengths.

BJH
02-16-2019, 06:58 PM
I just don't get that mad at them like i used to!

hog pawn
02-16-2019, 10:26 PM
Ok gentlemen after retrieving my crappie rig yesterday from the mechanic about 70 miles north of me. Which was an adventure considering i was trying to beat the freezing rain and my trailer came off the hitch on the way home😲. I made plans to fish today😎. I awoke this am with a wife that doc says later today, has type b flu and strep. She just got over type A flu.😷 After sterilizing the house,making her breakfast and cleaning the kitchen i was sure i had enough points to head to the lake. And it was still early. So out the door i went. That's when things got a little irritating. My minn kota anchor winch that i paid to have repaired last week was not working😠. Lucky for him the mechanic is closed today. Well at this point im going to fix it.Cant tear up somthing thats broke and it hasnt worked right since i purchased it 8 years ago. At about 3pm and after a trip to town for a proper wire connector i fixed an 8 year old problem for about .50 cents. I had just paid the mechanic 50.00 for part plus labor. Im happy😁. Now at this point with my wifes weeping and nashing of teeth(and rightly so) I would have been much safer in freezing temps on the lake fishing( with my head under water). But you know i just wasnt feeling so lucky.🙄 but hey the good news is when the boat came off the hitch the safty chains held up and the spare tire mounted to the tounge of the trailer held it off the pavement until i got pulled over. Ok my spare is flat on one side now. But im just going to turn the tire over flat side up and sit my coffee on it while getting ready to go fishing😆. When i said February insanity i wasnt kidding. Thanks for the tips and encouragement guys i just didnt get it done. Oh and how about that counselor 😱

hog pawn
02-16-2019, 10:27 PM
And yes its ok to laugh. I am😁

wannabe fisherman
02-17-2019, 05:41 AM
And yes its ok to laugh. I am

:Rofl sounds like a LUCKY day NOT !!

skeetbum
02-17-2019, 06:21 AM
When I lived in TN, a friend never let the temps dictate us. We have launched in 24 and 27* and caught fish every time. Wind was the deciding factor. Those temps and a breeze was unbearable, and we usually lasted about three hours and then our core got cold and we were done. Hope you get out. I did some dumb stuff suffering from cabin fever.

Redge
02-17-2019, 07:33 AM
Hog pawn, sorry for all the troubles, however youve got the right attitude!
Id rather have a flat sided spare than the alternative.

hog pawn
02-17-2019, 08:27 AM
In all serinouse i have had some good days when it was miserable. And its not so bad when the fish are biting. Like most places we have had torrential rains and up and down weather wich makes it tuff. But i have learned that those that stay on top of the fish and go when its tuff those fishermen are also the ones that are first to catchem when it turns on.they know where the fish are.

Fish on Line
02-17-2019, 05:07 PM
I done turned into a lazy fair weather fisherman ,, and living this far south at my age the investment into Heated jackets and socks for just fishing is still cheaper than good Sonar or a Trolling motor and can be used in the Deer Stand.. Most of the heated Jackets do not come with the Battery Pack needed.. some Jackets even have heaters built into the Pockets

hog pawn
02-17-2019, 07:46 PM
I new an older gentlemen years ago. Him and his buddy would build a heater from a coffee can feel it full of hot coals and put it under there seat. It would keep them warm the better part of a day. Especially there hands. Wish i could remember the details of the design. They caught fish and had the lake to there self.

Yak Fish
02-17-2019, 10:36 PM
Go ahead and get all the bad luck behind you now, so when things warm up you can be fishing without trouble.

Jim

Badgerfan
02-18-2019, 08:00 PM
I caught a 30 fish limit today. Was 29 degrees when I launched, 15 mph wind,. Big fish of the day was 2 pound 2 oz, all on jigs, i'd call that a success story in junky conditions.

Pithon
02-18-2019, 09:19 PM
I new an older gentlemen years ago. Him and his buddy would build a heater from a coffee can feel it full of hot coals and put it under there seat. It would keep them warm the better part of a day. Especially there hands. Wish i could remember the details of the design. They caught fish and had the lake to there self.The coffee can trick is a roll if toilet paper (the cheap kind) and a bottle if alcohol. Pour alcohol in can and let toilet paper soak it up. Light. And instant warmth. Don't know that I would put it under the seat cause it does have a flame. And make sure to put a piece of metal under it cause the can does get HOT. Will melt a cooler lid. When done put a metal lid on it to put it out, let it cool down, put the lid on it and save it for next time. Used to use them all the time in the deer stand.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87936)

SKs Crappie Catching Adventures
02-19-2019, 12:40 AM
Crappie tend to feed very well in cold nasty weather..... I've been there and done that.... Winter is my favorite time to be on the water...... on the other hand lots of rain makes it hard..... But doable.....

CrappieCat
02-19-2019, 05:02 AM
Layers layers and electric socks

hog pawn
02-19-2019, 10:29 AM
Badgerfan, nice catch:highfive Crappiemaster thats a great pic. captures the details for sure

hog pawn
02-19-2019, 10:37 AM
[QUOTE=Pithon;3782640]The coffee can trick is a roll if toilet paper (the cheap kind) and a bottle if alcohol. Pour alcohol in can and let toilet paper soak it up. Light. And instant warmth. Don't know that I would put it under the seat cause it does have a flame. And make sure to put a piece of metal under it cause the can does get HOT. Will melt a cooler lid. When done put a metal lid on it to put it out, let it cool down, put the lid on it and save it for next time. Used to use them all the time in the deer stand.

Thanks for the tip Pithon. That definitly sounds like the simplified version