PDA

View Full Version : Storing Minnows at Home

Tommy2268
02-13-2019, 10:07 AM
Unfortunately, I can only buy minnows by the dozen. They are priced at $3 per dozen. I'm thinking about buying minnows by the pound and storing them at home. I can meet the fishery at the bait shop that sells their minnows at $3 per dozen and pay $16 per pound. I'm seeing how others store their minnows during the week at home. Been looking at a large cooler with a good filter and air supply. Any help and pictures would be greatly appreciated.

deathb4disco
02-13-2019, 10:19 AM
This topic comes up frequently here:

https://www.crappie.com/crappie/live-bait/

Crappkid
02-13-2019, 11:29 AM
100 gal tank from tractor supply,
2 filter pumps for aquariums from Walmart & a 110 bubbler
Used the blue bait savor chem to remove chlorine & protect there slim, was good for couple pounds depend on there size
& a screen to keep them in the tank, worked great for us till it just got to hot to deal with.

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com

Nutbush
02-13-2019, 02:40 PM
I have the same minners I bought in October in an old deep freezer outside. I just let the rain refresh them. Now during the summer itís nearly impossible for me to keep them like this. I do have an aerator that I put in there which helps some, but I usually just use jigs during the hot months.

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87936)

BuckeyeFishing
02-13-2019, 02:53 PM
100 gal tank from tractor supply,
2 filter pumps for aquariums from Walmart & a 110 bubbler
Used the blue bait savor chem to remove chlorine & protect there slim, was good for couple pounds depend on there size
& a screen to keep them in the tank, worked great for us till it just got to hot to deal with.

This was my exact setup also. I kept mine outside and I would keep minnows from early Spring until late Fall. All I ever did was add water in the summer if we hadn't gotten any rain recently. I also trapped all my minnows so they tend to be heartier than store boughts. I would set 3 traps, once a week and it would be enough to last me the week plus extras. Once I had enough built up, I would quit trapping and only trap once I got down so far. I used screen material with weights on the ends to keep them from jumping out. In the winter, I would drain the water, take the filter inside, and flip the trough upside down. Super easy clean up and storage.

Tman53
02-13-2019, 03:34 PM
[QUOTE=Tommy2268;3778711]Unfortunately, I can only buy minnows by the dozen. They are priced at $3 per dozen. I'm thinking about buying minnows by the pound and storing them at home. I can meet the fishery at the bait shop that sells their minnows at $3 per dozen and pay $16 per pound. I'm seeing how others store their minnows during the week at home. Been looking at a large cooler with a good filter and air supply. Any help and pictures would be greatly

The only thing I see wrong with that is you need to buy your bait from where the man that sells to your bait shop gets his. You can order minnows from Anderson in Arkansas and get them fed X Ed to you. Or make the trip for about 1/3 the price
We give $16 a lb at the bait shop here and I think thatís a bit high

bfish
02-13-2019, 04:01 PM
Rounded corners are important. The bigger the tank the better too.

scout-j-m
02-13-2019, 04:03 PM
Ive been thinking about setting one up on my screened in porch. We have a well which waters our garden and I could easily run plumbing to it. I've pondered putting a timer paired with a pressure regulator on it and allowing the pump to kick on for a set amount of time each day to pump in fresh water, allowing old water to overflow to a drip line to some shrubs or something. I would pair it with an aerator/filter as well. I'm not sure if this is a good idea though as the well water may be too much of a shock as it is very cold compared to what the ambient tank water temp would be in the peak of summer. It's something I may toy around with though.

Snubby
02-13-2019, 05:23 PM
Simple but effective, 55 gallon drum was free. Added an aerator and a 75 gph external bio canister filter. Can hold 5 pounds of #12 minners with this setup. I order from Anderson's in Lonoke, AR and pay $115 total for overnight shipping. That's $23 a pound, much cheaper than driving to get them for me.330599

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

BuckeyeFishing
02-13-2019, 07:35 PM
Ive been thinking about setting one up on my screened in porch. We have a well which waters our garden and I could easily run plumbing to it. I've pondered putting a timer paired with a pressure regulator on it and allowing the pump to kick on for a set amount of time each day to pump in fresh water, allowing old water to overflow to a drip line to some shrubs or something. I would pair it with an aerator/filter as well. I'm not sure if this is a good idea though as the well water may be too much of a shock as it is very cold compared to what the ambient tank water temp would be in the peak of summer. It's something I may toy around with though.

If you have a filter on it, you shouldn't need to change out the water, just add water as it evaporates. Just make sure to spray off the filter pads every couple of weeks. Once they get all clogged up they won't filter anything. I added an extra piece of PVC tube so that the filter arm went all the way to the bottom. Thats the only modification I made. Water was always crystal clear and being outside, the water temp was close to that of the rivers and lakes so no worry of shock to the bait.

Jamesdean
02-13-2019, 07:39 PM
that's a neet set up Snubby...

Crappkid
02-14-2019, 05:15 AM

When we bought minnows they were bagged and they told use to place bag on tank water for 1/2 hr or so to let them adjust to temp,
Iíd think if the timer wasnít pumping in very much water it wouldnít shock them.

Friend of mine(brother) has duck club on the river and we catfish run lines in summer, the neighbors traps rice slicks for us and uses an old freezer to keep them in, heíll run it from time to time in the summer to keep them cool, worked good to good we showed up to fish and the bait was in a big block of ice,
He had gone to town and forgot about them we got him a timer for Christmas ha

Keith K
02-14-2019, 05:58 AM
keep tx heat in mind.locate were its handy to fill an drain.all above tanks look good .

Jamesdean
02-14-2019, 08:56 AM
wife bought me a 12'x20' wooden shed. unfortunately it's not insulated, going to get that insulated, a window cooler and try to keep some there. Need to rearrange some stuff for sure, and move stuff not used often into the upper storage area. She says that's my "MAN" cave, but sure came up with enough stuff to fill it up twice. May use it for a pattern and try to build one a bit bigger for my mancave...lol.

Tommy2268
02-14-2019, 09:37 AM
Simple but effective, 55 gallon drum was free. Added an aerator and a 75 gph external bio canister filter. Can hold 5 pounds of #12 minners with this setup. I order from Anderson's in Lonoke, AR and pay $115 total for overnight shipping. That's $23 a pound, much cheaper than driving to get them for me.330599

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

How much is shipping?

Snubby
02-14-2019, 04:16 PM
How much is shipping?

Not sure, they do not break the shipping cost in the receipt. I can get 4 pounds of #6 minnows for $115 or 5 pounds of #12 for the same cost. I'm guessing it's like a minimum charge type deal. Here is the link to their site you can call them an inquire on shipping to your location or fill out the contact us form and they will get back to you fairly quickly. Anderson Minnows (http://www.andersonminnows.com/)

polarcrafter
02-14-2019, 05:07 PM
Not sure, they do not break the shipping cost in the receipt. I can get 4 pounds of #6 minnows for $115 or 5 pounds of #12 for the same cost. I'm guessing it's like a minimum charge type deal. Here is the link to their site you can call them an inquire on shipping to your location or fill out the contact us form and they will get back to you fairly quickly. Anderson Minnows (http://www.andersonminnows.com/)

Any estimate as to the approximate numbers of the #6 and #12 minnows per pound???

Snubby
02-14-2019, 05:14 PM
Any estimate as to the approximate numbers of the #6 and #12 minnows per pound???

Per the website info golden shiners are approximately 166 count per pound of number 6's and 83 per pound on the 12's. The 12's aren't your typical size minnows that most folks fish with.

Fish on Line
02-14-2019, 06:26 PM
I have 2 Aquariums set up -- A small 10 gal in the dinning room by the Door with about 15 mixed sizes shiners --- this one is to remind me to feed the Pound out in the shed that is 30 gallon -- regular Aqu filter with an Air pump. I have to take out two gallons of water each week and replace it with Rain water. what is taken out goes on house plants ,, almost like supercharged Fertilizer with the Ammonia.. that water would not even be clear changing 5 gallons .. when the Air pump is pulling freezing air temp in the tank the water gets really cold and the heater will not keep up -- they do not move around much when it is cold.. I also put a little salt in every once and a while

Potatoe
02-14-2019, 06:26 PM
I put a 5 gallon bucket in my fridge, drilled a hole in the side of fridge for the aerator. I asked the bait shop a ton of questions how they do it. I think the filter, water change is very important. I do not have a filter need to figure one out. I might try the chemical also this year. I do think keeping them cool in fridge is a good thing.

Grainraiser
02-14-2019, 10:44 PM
My minnow shop is 5 minutes from the house but they are not open when I hit the road. I have a 15 gallon plastic tank that keep in my sunroom. It has aerator and I change water once a week with rain water I collect. I can keep minnows for a month with it. Make sure you keep it in a secure area or keep a top on it. My setup was heaven for raccoons when I kept it outside.

cva34
02-15-2019, 08:40 AM
wife bought me a 12'x20' wooden shed. unfortunately it's not insulated, going to get that insulated, a window cooler and try to keep some there. Need to rearrange some stuff for sure, and move stuff not used often into the upper storage area. She says that's my "MAN" cave, but sure came up with enough stuff to fill it up twice. May use it for a pattern and try to build one a bit bigger for my mancave...lol.
Maybe consider frame out (minimal support and put foam insulation board small area on outside corner wall )Set window ac to cool Just that space...Of course with... enough room to maintain maybe 6x6 or so... Thats what I been thinking about doing...could put small elect heat for winter

Jamesdean
02-15-2019, 12:16 PM
I thought of doing the foam board as I have a sheet of 3" left over from foaming under my boat seats...But as momma has said, I need to do my tying and material storage out there 'cause she wants no dead critter remnants that's not edible in da house!! so I would like to get it fully insulated, with a window cooler,(already has window), for summer, And a small heater for cooler, damper weather...

blueball
02-15-2019, 12:50 PM
Yall need to come to tn,i think davis minnow farm gets $7-$8 a lb

Sent from my SM-S907VL using Tapatalk