HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Cranking depths

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cranking depths

When pulling cranks and looking at a crank depth chart, the feet of line out. Is that from the tip of the pole to the crank or from where the line hits the water to the crank?
    Seems to me it would be from where the line hits the water but I've never heard anyone come out and say it that way.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Where the line enters the water.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff
    Likes wicklundrh LIKED above post
    Thanks Pithon thanked you for this post

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Calibrate the line on the reel.
    If you don’t have enough line on the reel, your bait will be short of target depth. Quite a bit short if you have lot of line out.

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

All my trolling rods have linecounter reels on them using Precision Trolling book or information on the packaging it is from the reel other wise what good would it do from the point of entering the water it would be a major guess. Many baits run at different depths so the angle from the water to the crankbait would be a pain to try and figure out.

Type of line used will change the depth charts a fair amount braid will run deeper mono will run shallower always pay attention on the depth charts what line and poundage they are using for there guesstimate and speed. No 2 crankbaits will run exactly the same there will always be some variance in the depth and action. the BIGGEST thing when pulling cranks is to tune it to run straight..

Post Thanks / Like

It is created from where the line actually enters the water!

Many of the dive charts are actually created using planer boards. You let out your desired amount of line, and clip on the board, from there you let it out away from the boat.

How do I know it is from where the line hits the water? Well, I happen to know the guys that own precision trolling. I know where they test it, how it is tested, and who is testing it!

The testing is actually done with divers in the water and very specific measured depths. Each bait is tested based on speed, type of line, size of line, and now with clip on weights. It is monitored from several angles as the bait passes over the measured depth field. Mark Romanak and his son Jake own and operate precision trolling. Mark is also the head pro staff member for Off Shore tackle and the editor of Off Shore's "Release" magazine.
    I have OCD "Obsessive Crappie Disorder"
    Likes M R Dux, Pithon LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wicklundrh View Post
    It is created from where the line actually enters the water!

Many of the dive charts are actually created using planer boards. You let out your desired amount of line, and clip on the board, from there you let it out away from the boat.

How do I know it is from where the line hits the water? Well, I happen to know the guys that own precision trolling. I know where they test it, how it is tested, and who is testing it!

The testing is actually done with divers in the water and very specific measured depths. Each bait is tested based on speed, type of line, size of line, and now with clip on weights. It is monitored from several angles as the bait passes over the measured depth field. Mark Romanak and his son Jake own and operate precision trolling. Mark is also the head pro staff member for Off Shore tackle and the editor of Off Shore's "Release" magazine.
    Pretty interesting. But I'd hate to be the diver that got hung by a crank that wasn't running true. Lol

Likes blueball LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

No need to worry about that. Off Shore tackle patented a tool that adjusts cranks. Mark was one of the main testers. All crankbaits are tuned for running accuracy before they hit the water!

Post Thanks / Like

I still like the idea of a rogue crank. Kinda got a sadistic mind i guess. Lol

Likes wicklundrh LIKED above post

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Ima gonna write a book on weights and baits one day. I have discovered some interesting stuff. This is a round tuit thang.

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"
    Likes blueball, wannabe fisherman LIKED above post