Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello fellow crappie enthusiast

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hello fellow crappie enthusiast

Have obtained some valuable information off of this site in the recent past and am proud to be a part of it.

I recently purchased a new 17 ft Alweld boat and 90 HP Yamaha motor and last week "broke-in" the motor for about 2 hours. I have a 17 gallon gas tank and only put in 1 and 3/4 pints of oil before running my new motor. I was informed that I should have put close to 3 pints in the 17 gallons. My motor is oil injected.

Did I screw up the motor any by adding insufficient oil on it's maiden voyage?

Post Thanks / Like

It of course depends on how much gas you burned in that time. I always fill my oil reservoir each time I run my boat to make sure there is adequate oil. If the oil reservoir was empty you could have a problem. I'm sure there are more experienced folks on here who will post more.

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck Troop, I hope you haven't hurt it.

Post Thanks / Like

Welome to the site. On your motor, If its a new one you should have a alarm om it that would have or should have went off if your oil level got too low. But I wouldn't try that again!
    Monk

Post Thanks / Like

If it is oil injected, then it really shouldn't matter. Most of the new engines, example a Mercury Optimax, will automatically double up the oil injection for the 10 hour breakin without you knowing it. Basically, you only have to keep oil in the reservoir. If you didn't get a nasty alarm, I'd say you should be fine.

Post Thanks / Like

My oil reservoir was filled and I only used about half the tank before I added the appropriate amount of oil into the remaining gas.

The alarm did not come in.

I'm feeling better from your responses.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zebkedic
    If it is oil injected, then it really shouldn't matter. Most of the new engines, example a Mercury Optimax, will automatically double up the oil injection for the 10 hour breakin without you knowing it. Basically, you only have to keep oil in the reservoir. If you didn't get a nasty alarm, I'd say you should be fine.
    I agree,and some say you should vary your rpm Evey couple min. too when doing break-in.

Post Thanks / Like

My 2004 40hp Mercury (also oil injected) required me to add additional oil to my gas during the break in period. I ran 6 gallons of mixed oil/gas fuel for the break in. It smoked a little but I think the extra lube does probably help during the break in.
    I would check with your motor manufacturer or themarinedoctor.com for extra input as well.
    Currently a non-fishing slacker! (not for too much longer)

Post Thanks / Like

Troop,

I pulled the owners manual on your motor from the web site and it has no specifics about having to add extra oil, only to fill the reservoir. It does give some specifics about RPM limits that your shouldn't exceed through various time frames, etc, but I think you are ok.

Post Thanks / Like

Default oil mixture

If the mixture your motor needs is 50 to 1 then make sure you always have at least 1 pint of oil per 6 gallons of gasoline. This will make you run out of gas just before you run out of oil. The 17 gallon tank you have will need 43.52 oz of oil at the 50 to 1 ratio. 1 gallon has 128 oz and 17 times this is 2,176 oz of gas. At a 50 to 1 ratio, divide this 2,176 by 50 and it gives you 43.52 oz for the oil mixture. In other words, you need 2.56 oz of oil for each gallon of gas.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast