PDA

View Full Version : 40hp 4 stroke

agruss
02-12-2019, 07:54 AM
Looking to purchase new motor. Have done a lot of research online. Price is always a consideration but not the only one. The best price i have found is a tohatsu and mercury. The murcury is a new 2017 never sold with a new warranty good price. Mercury has more bad reviews than the others maybe there is so many out there. Prices vary from dealer to dealer just looking for input from crappie fisherman. My boat is rated for 40hp so that is where i will stay. I have looked a yamaha suzki honda i like to look at every option before i buy to the point its crazy.

Locator79
02-12-2019, 09:19 AM
More bad reviews, because there is more sold. I have a mercury 4 stroke on my boat now, and I'm completely happy. My boat prior had a nissan/tohatsu and I ran that motor hard for 10 years with no issue.

Sent from my Z983 using Tapatalk

Factory909
02-12-2019, 09:24 AM
I have one of the Tohatsu 40 4 strokes. Bought new in 2016 and I will hit the 300 hour mark this spring/summer. She has been sunk, ran through flooded timber during duck season, and still keeps going. With the 40 4 strokes, you can actually remove the restrictor plate and gain a few extra HP out of it. The 2.08 gears haul a load well. Super super little motors.

Also, I believe the warranty on the Tohatsu's is 5 years.

Cray
02-12-2019, 09:30 AM
For the money I’d go Tohatsu generally cheapest motor out there. Don’t know if it’s true on the 17 but for years all the Merc motors in that size and smaller Tohatsu built the power heads. Then merc added their accessories such as electronics and fuel systems. Tohatsu is about simplest motor out there. Everyone I know or talk to that has one loves them. I have 50 Yamaha 4 stroke and it’s a 04 and never a problem. If money was no object and had to replace mine I would probably go Suzuki but with money being a object I wouldn’t blink at buying a Tohatsu. This is just me but Merc would be at bottom of my list.

trypman1
02-12-2019, 10:06 AM
My Tohatsu is fine and dandy so far- 2 years old. I use it a lot!

blueball
02-12-2019, 10:11 AM
If you decide to go mercury check out jaco marine they usually have the best prices on mercurys

Sent from my SM-S907VL using Tapatalk

SeaRay
02-12-2019, 11:02 AM
I bought a 20 HP 2018 Tohatsu last year and it is a nice engine .Extremely efficient fuel injection and computer control ignition. It is high tech and simple at the same time .As stated earlier, Tohatsu makes the Mercury motors up tp 60HP I believe.
I'm 99% sure the 40 is made by them
Fine motor.

S10CHEVY
02-12-2019, 03:38 PM
I have a Honda 10 hp 4 stroke. Would go with a 4 stroke over 2 stroke. There is no messing around mixing oil with the gas. 4 strokes are a lot easier on gas consumption. But beware, they are heavier than 2 stroke engines. Don't know about all brands, but some have an oil light on them, that lets you know if it becomes low.

Sourmash
02-12-2019, 03:46 PM
I bought a new setup last year with that same merc that you speak of and have not had an issue. Boat and motor have been great so far and I have it out many times a month.

Sent from my iPad using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87936)

stumpjumper
02-12-2019, 03:49 PM
I have a several mercury, Johnson, Blowed them both up... never lost a Yamaha (knock on wood) yet, but never owned but one 4 stroke, I'd say Yamaha but I like fuel injection over carbs. them most. my2cents. Good luck

Orion_70
02-12-2019, 03:53 PM
Out of the two, I would go with Tohatsu... if other options, Suzuki

slabby
02-12-2019, 04:30 PM
I posted this on another thread also but the only way I would have a Tohatsu is for a boat anchor,my brother bought one in 2016 and it stayed in the shop more than on the boat,it was heck to start and he run down a fully charged battery several times,he kept taking it back till the dealer finally gave him a refund and he went and bought a Evinrude

Sent from my SM-J337A using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87936)

hog pawn
02-12-2019, 05:20 PM
Sir you will get as many opinions as there are motors! So heres mine:) tohatsu and mercury were the same builder as of a few years ago .prolly still are. Very good motors. Im running a 40hp yamaha that i love. As for as my mercury its 200hp which is a different animal but would buy the same if were doing over again. People running the tohatsu on the rivers really like them. There is a website that has free shipping no sales tax ( outside Tennessee) and hands down best price. There out of memphis.if i think of it ill pm it to you. I have purchased from them with good results. I guess i would buy the best deal out of those brands. Good luck

Nutbush
02-12-2019, 05:55 PM
Trypman has a 50 Tohatsu and that thing cranks and runs perfect. Donít think he has had any issues with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87936)

huntinslabs
02-12-2019, 06:41 PM
If you have a Tohatsu service center in your area get the Tohatsu. If not buy whatever you have closest service center. Tohatsu is a great motor but very hard to find support in many areas if the need should rise. Mercury and Yamaha have both treated me fantastic as far as reliability.

Snubby
02-12-2019, 06:51 PM
Ran a 40 horse 4 stroke Yamaha for a number of years 5 plus or so, can't think of one time it let me down. Still know the guy who owns it and the motor runs like a top. All great motors in my opinion, proper care and maintenance goes along ways on any motor.

agruss
02-12-2019, 06:55 PM
Thanks to everyone who answered, lots of different opinions and all good. I talked with lots of people and several out board mechanics, one who serviced the rentals at tim ford lake. He told me the rentals were 40hp 4 stroke mercury and he would buy one if the price was right. I have found a dealer with 4 2018 models left and i think we have reached a deal. I priced most all the brands people talked about and he was $1,000 to $1500 dollars cheaper. Cheaper is very seldom the best but i think this will work. I won't put the price but if you are close to north Alabama and want to know pm me and you got it.

catchNgrease
02-12-2019, 07:28 PM
Gets a little tougher when there really ain't a bad choice in your options.

Sent from my E6810 using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87936)

ezgoing
02-14-2019, 10:49 AM
I have owned a 40 hp Mercury for five years. For three of those years it was only started and ran for 30 minutes once a month due to health problems. It has never given me any problems and always started on the first crank. I am now using it on almost a daily basis and it still purrs.

Granite
02-14-2019, 10:49 AM
Honda makes tahatsu , parts are interchangeable . Will last a lifetime , may have to go up a few pitches on the prop , due to gearing.

eagle 1
02-14-2019, 08:15 PM
If you decide to go mercury check out jaco marine they usually have the best prices on mercurys

Sent from my SM-S907VL using Tapatalk

Guy at pepper town , just outside Fulton MS. claims to be cheapest in the nation . In house boat show this weekend . Midway marine is the name of dealership .