HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 40hp 4 stroke

Post Thanks / Like

Default 40hp 4 stroke

Looking to purchase new motor. Have done a lot of research online. Price is always a consideration but not the only one. The best price i have found is a tohatsu and mercury. The murcury is a new 2017 never sold with a new warranty good price. Mercury has more bad reviews than the others maybe there is so many out there. Prices vary from dealer to dealer just looking for input from crappie fisherman. My boat is rated for 40hp so that is where i will stay. I have looked a yamaha suzki honda i like to look at every option before i buy to the point its crazy.
    Thanks cva34 thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

More bad reviews, because there is more sold. I have a mercury 4 stroke on my boat now, and I'm completely happy. My boat prior had a nissan/tohatsu and I ran that motor hard for 10 years with no issue.

Sent from my Z983 using Tapatalk
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

Post Thanks / Like

I have one of the Tohatsu 40 4 strokes. Bought new in 2016 and I will hit the 300 hour mark this spring/summer. She has been sunk, ran through flooded timber during duck season, and still keeps going. With the 40 4 strokes, you can actually remove the restrictor plate and gain a few extra HP out of it. The 2.08 gears haul a load well. Super super little motors.

Also, I believe the warranty on the Tohatsu's is 5 years.
    Likes trypman1 LIKED above post

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

For the money I’d go Tohatsu generally cheapest motor out there. Don’t know if it’s true on the 17 but for years all the Merc motors in that size and smaller Tohatsu built the power heads. Then merc added their accessories such as electronics and fuel systems. Tohatsu is about simplest motor out there. Everyone I know or talk to that has one loves them. I have 50 Yamaha 4 stroke and it’s a 04 and never a problem. If money was no object and had to replace mine I would probably go Suzuki but with money being a object I wouldn’t blink at buying a Tohatsu. This is just me but Merc would be at bottom of my list.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Likes "G" LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

My Tohatsu is fine and dandy so far- 2 years old. I use it a lot!

Post Thanks / Like

If you decide to go mercury check out jaco marine they usually have the best prices on mercurys

Sent from my SM-S907VL using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I bought a 20 HP 2018 Tohatsu last year and it is a nice engine .Extremely efficient fuel injection and computer control ignition. It is high tech and simple at the same time .As stated earlier, Tohatsu makes the Mercury motors up tp 60HP I believe.
    I'm 99% sure the 40 is made by them
    Fine motor.
    Mark 1:17 ...I will make you fishers of men

S10CHEVY is offline Crappie.com 3K Star General - Moderator Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a Honda 10 hp 4 stroke. Would go with a 4 stroke over 2 stroke. There is no messing around mixing oil with the gas. 4 strokes are a lot easier on gas consumption. But beware, they are heavier than 2 stroke engines. Don't know about all brands, but some have an oil light on them, that lets you know if it becomes low.

Post Thanks / Like

I bought a new setup last year with that same merc that you speak of and have not had an issue. Boat and motor have been great so far and I have it out many times a month.

Sent from my iPad using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

I have a several mercury, Johnson, Blowed them both up... never lost a Yamaha (knock on wood) yet, but never owned but one 4 stroke, I'd say Yamaha but I like fuel injection over carbs. them most. my2cents. Good luck
    If you don't get hung every-once-n-a-while you ain't jigg'n it right..:D
    Member of:
    South Carolina Crappie Association TX. Trail
    Vexan Pro-staff Member

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast