Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baitcasting reel questions...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Baitcasting reel questions...

I think I am brave enough now to try a baitcast reel. How much should I spend on one? What features are most desireable, and which can I live without? Any help would be appreciated

Post Thanks / Like

I use Team Diawa stuff its been very reliable and high quality. Look for high ball bearing counts, quality drag systems, and smooth effortless retrieve. Most of the good ones are $100 and up. Its just like pick ups, everyone has their perferance

Post Thanks / Like

get you a good abu garcia ambassadeur. i use them for carp and they are the smoothes(spelling)reels i have ever used.i have 2 6000's but plane on getting 2 6500c3's or 6600c5's plus they have the new carbon matrix drag systems in them that makes em smooth as silk and they have alot of upgrades for them.give em a shot,i know you will like them.

Post Thanks / Like

I recently purchased a BPS 7 bearing bait caster with 6'6" Med. Heavy action rod for $79. It seems to work well for a starter system to find out if you really like baitcasters or not.

Post Thanks / Like

The rig Zeb just bought is great. Bass pro Shops are running a 79.00 special on them. I think normally they are 119.00 or so. I have some like this that are 6 and 7 bearing and love them. I know i have an over kill but i troll with them but they really are smooth and nice. They also have the same thing that comes in a lighter model and they are closing it out and it is a good reel. They are called Bass Pro Shops Extreme Reels. The rods that come with them, extreme, in the combo, is very nice also. Just pick the length you want and how heavy.

I have a cheaper Diawa baitcast also and i do like it to.

Post Thanks / Like

If for slow vertical trolling for crappie then the Wally Marshall Baitcaster is excellent for 39.99 at Bass Pro. If for bass and crappie I say a Shimano Citica or a Shimano Curado. I own 3 of the old Curados they are awesome. I have heard the new Citcia is the old Curado which is legendary. However there is the new upgraded Curado. Probably bang for the buck I would choose the new Shimano Citica. If for bass do not skimp here, I've seen friends buy a baitcaster under $100.00 and throw them down in frustration, so I totally agree with KC Outdoorsman comment. Your higher end Shimano, Diawa, Pflueger, Abu Garcias will be the better reels in the 120.00 to 200.00 range. Make sure it has a 6:2 to 1 or 6:3 to 1 ratio so you can burn buzzbaits and spinnerbaits. I know there are reels just as good, just giving my opinion what I know works well. I know this is a crappie forum, but if bass fishing get a pack of White Pearl Super Salty Flukes mate it with a 3/0 EWG Gamakatsu hook on a 6 ft medium action rod. Twitch it sideways getting it to dart back and forth just under the water. He can't take it trust me. In a farm pond or small lake environment when the water is warm you will not find a better bait. To know how to hook it,watch the video on www.insideline.net , click on video tab at top and watch how Jerry Puckett rigs the weightless Senko . Super weedless and deadly. TIE IT ON AND HANG ON!
    Last edited by Countrytime; 04-11-2007 at 01:39 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Shimano Calcutta & a Shimano Chronarch that I loooooved....FOR BASS FISHING.
    I've found them useless for crappie thus far, b/c I generally only cast due to the boat factor.
    Soooo, in other words: I'll probably sell them soon.

fiddlefarter is offline Moderator Crappie Cover Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Mt. Juliet, TN...Percy Priest Lake/Old Hickory Lake
    Post Thanks / Like

I have several Diawa, Shimano, Browning. I have a 2 BPS Extremes and I like them a lot. They're smooth and cast great. The Extreme rods are great too. Starting out I say that's a real good option. $100 for the combo can't really be beat. I started with a cheap Diawa and it really sucked compared to the Extreme which is made by Pfleuger.

For general bass fishing I'd get the ETX10HD (6.4:1 ratio) and a 6'6" Med or Med/Heavy Rod. Then throw some 12 or 14 lb. line on it. I wouldn't get the most expensive line sold till you get good at it. You'll be glad you didn't when you have to cut out a few backlashes. But don't get junk line either. If you buy at BPS get some Excel line, it ain't bad.

I've always figured about $200 for each combo I put together. $100 for a reel and $100 for a rod. I try to go less if I can. The reel is as good as any $100 reel, plus the rod is on par with most $100 rods. It's a good buy.

Also a lot of people like me cast right handed and then switch the rod to the left hand and crank the reel with their right. If I had to do it over I would have started from the beginning casting right and cranking the reel with my left. That would be cause for a Lefthanded reel if you want to go that route. Gives you more power to set the hook and negates the baton exchange. Now though it feel too unnatural to me.

If you plan on casting crappie jigs, don't buy a baitcaster.
    Last edited by fiddlefarter; 04-11-2007 at 03:32 PM.
    Ya ain't holdin' your mouth right.

Post Thanks / Like

Can,t go wrong with ABU. Like all of them they take practice. I only use mine for striper. (Personal Opinion)-too much reel for crappie.
    It is not enough that a man should toil and provide,but that he be granted the pleasure of fishing with a friend.

Post Thanks / Like

if you can find a Quantum 1310mg at wmart for about 55 dollars you will be set. Mine are smooth and 10 years old. Use them for bass and hybrid fishing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast