HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Garmin Livescope, HB 360 and other high end electronis.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Garmin Livescope, HB 360 and other high end electronis.

I'm posting this in the main forum because my thoughts to follow are more applicable here. First off, I'm a huge Garmin fan and I'm really impressed with many of the video clips from all over. I have two of the 93SV on my Lund. I think Livescope would be a great tool and might even buy the transducer in the future. I've seen some pretty impressive results from the HB 360 also. I love catching, and eating, crappie and these tools are very impressive.

That said, I'm an old geezer and I have a concern about these high end electronics. I've fished since way before the old "green box." My concern is the impact tools such as these can have on the resource. I certainly like to have a couple of meals in the freezer but, for my wife and I that's about five fish a meal and that gets me some left overs. I have no problem with anyone catching crappie from dusk to dawn and would love to do so myself. However, I'm seeing more pics of full livewells or cleaning tables, day after day. When I can make it to a lake I rarely keep over half a dozen eaters a day. I prefer to release most of my fish and allow someone to catch em again. I certainly understand everyone's requirements are way different than mine so I don't want to slam anyone over this. There are times such as a planned fish fry that I will keep more. I just ask that everyone consider the impact these modern tools can have. Very few anglers need a couple hundred, or more, fillets in the freezer.
    Proud member of TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

I understand and agree with what you're saying. It concerns me as well. Having said that, I have a Livescope on order. I hope it helps me catch a limit every day, BUT I won't keep more than a mess every once and a while like I've always done. I hope others do the same, but I know some of them won't.
    Likes Keystonecrappie LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Just remember there are limits for a reason and state biologists pay a lot of attention to impact from fisherman and other natural causes to set those limits, crappie reproduce in high numbers and don’t have a long life span, sure there are more being caught nowadays because of the advancements but I don’t believe you can destroy a fishery because of technological advances, remember just because they are easier to find doesn’t mean you can make em bite
    Likes "G", timd3200 LIKED above post
    Thanks chaunc thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Everyone wants to improve their catch rate, including me. We all want the latest and greatest equipment, specifically electronics. I’m no exception. While I could afford it, can I justify spending that much? I’m frugal, bordering on cheap. I’ve not mastered the electronics that I already have. I often have no idea what I am seeing on the screen. Then, when I’m pretty sure that I know what I’m seeing, I’m not sure where what I’m seeing actually is. Is it on the left of the boat? Right? Directly under? Truthfully, I have probably just made a justifiable case for electronics, such as Livescope!
    Social Media, IMO, drives the need to have tables, coolers, and tailgates full of crappie. After all, who wants to read and see pictures of a day when I am skunked? I am a member of a Crappie FB Group, and I can promise you it is much different than this site. Arguing, cursing, and full of keyboard pros. It makes me very thankful and appreciative of all that is, and has been done, to make crappie.com what it is. Much like a campfire where we share our stories!
    I’ve started rambling, so I’ll wrap up. Will these latest electronics be permitted in major tournaments? Will peer pressure continue to drive sales? What’s in the future? Use whatever tools you can comfortably afford that increases your enjoyment of this sport. Follow all game laws. Enjoy the pursuit!
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.
    Likes chaunc, Slabprowler, Herewego, Hat55 LIKED above post

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I’ll just say this, livescope May help you locate fish quicker but as with any finder, it doesn’t guarantee you putting fish in the boat. My Panoptix is more of a video game on the water to me. I caught limits even when I had the cheapest units made. I’m retired and I want to enjoy my time on the water as best and as often as I can now. I’ll continue to have benefit fishfrys for the church, teams, and family as they request. And I’ll keep some for myself when I want too.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the livescope on my boat, about two week now. The thing is it shows so much there i a learning curve i have not mastered. The garmin support people i talked to said it will make a better or worse fisherman out of you. I asked how and the reply was you will see more fish then you can catch. I didn't understand until i went and it will drive you crazy seeing what is down there and most won't bite. You can see them moving around tops post and other structure but most won't bite. It will put you on fish but from there its up to you and the fish. I agree with the other post catch all you can but keep only what you need.
    Likes Slabprowler, ET Fish, Herewego, timd3200 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Gonna agree 100 % with Et fish. 90 % of the average fishermen today haven't touched the full potential of their current electronics. The fishermen I've seen having success with livescope and 360 are the one's that spend hours and days every week on the water. I think in the end, you are going to see a bunch of very disappointed fishermen that spent a lot of money and don't have the success they thought they would. Not because these are not great tools but they don't have the time or patience to learn how to use them.
    Likes ET Fish, Crappie Chatt, Herewego, Redge, Hat55 LIKED above post

ezgoing is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't have a problem with people keeping what they catch as long as they don't waste it. When my wife and I could only fish weekends we kept our limits each weekend. However once I retired and we were able to fish anytime the weather permitted we only kept five for ourselves as that gave us an excuse to go fishing on a regular basis.

I don't believe crappie is being over fished on the lake I fish. I can't say what applies to other lakes but for years my lake has had a problem with most crappie being undersized. You could catch large numbers but only 10% of what you caught were legal to keep.

Frankly I love that situation as I love to catch crappie and only needed five keepers a day. I personally would prefer to catch 100 undersized crappie a day than to only catch a few large crappie a day. But most people hated it, as they could not fish every day.

So I've ordered the 93sv+ and the Live Scope unit. I'm impatiently waiting for it to arrive. I believe this will add to my enjoyment of crappie fishing and will not impact the number I keep.

But after this long winded response my answer to your question is that I don't believe the new electronics will impact the crappie population that much. Few people catch limits every time they fish and few people are able to fish every day. So when they do catch a limit they are proud of what they have caught.
    Last edited by ezgoing; 02-11-2019 at 08:35 AM. Reason: typo

Post Thanks / Like

One thing to think about:

The majority of people on public forums (or the internet in general) are not reporting their normal catch. You might see 20 people that post pictures of "limits" of fish. Coolers full of fish. Livewells full of fish. Stringers full of fish. The reality however is that the other 400 people didn't catch anything! In other words, nobody seems to report when they catch 2 fish. Or six fish. But have zero problems thumping their chest to be the "Internet Rockstar" when they do finally catch a large amount. If you see someone with a photograph of a ton of fish, do a little research back and see when the last time they posted catching that many. Was it a month, two months previous. Does that mean that they didn't fish for the last month or two? No, it simply means they only feel it necessary to thump their chest when they do good!

I see forums all the time where people are posting limit catches of fish. A week later they are complaning because there isn't anyplace to park, there isn't anyplace to launch their boat, and there isn't any access. Did they ever stop to think about the consequences of their "chest thumping" posts?

In the days of old, people didn't share information. One might wonder if it had to do with the fact that they wanted to keep the fish to themselves. OR, one might think that they didn't want the word to get out and their "special place" to be overrun. Back then you also didn't seem to have the braggert type of people. Today, a large majority of people always want to one up someone. Their bragging (in the form of a photograph) has consequences.

My point in all of this is simple. For every post someone is making with their rockstar pose, they probably went to the lake 20 times and didn't catch much. These people are hard wired to only report the good and not the bad! Local areas are starting to see the dangers of these types of posts. As a whole, I don't think that one particular fish is being fished out (as a whole) HOWEVER: when people start seeing limit catches on the internet from "Rockstars" in one particular location, it brings in the masses which results in more fishing pressure on that particular area than it might have had if they would have kept quiet about it!
    I have OCD "Obsessive Crappie Disorder"
    Thanks Cropduster1968 thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I got to agree...enjoy what you catch if you catch and return or devour ....I figger every time we put out Habitat we increase the population or at least room for expansion of fishable water...Enjoy Your new Elect... I'm stalling a little to see what else is coming....

Just don't waste!!!!!!!!!
    Likes Redge LIKED above post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast