HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Built a fluid bed

Post Thanks / Like

Default Built a fluid bed

That's the way to roll if you're powder coating jigs. I have read umpteen posts on here and all over the Interwebs about making fluid beds and ran across a post on another site where a guy posted that he'd been coating jigs with powder and a fluid bed for 8 years and had finally come across the perfect diaphragm material for the fluid bed. Tyvek. Well, I thought I'd try it and it worked beautifully. It's easy to use too. Just use PVC glue to glue it to the bottom of your short section of PVC.
    Thanks Pondfisher42 thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I have been using a brown paper bag in my fluid bed which I though was pretty good . I have some Tyvek and have been wondering about it. I will give it a try Thanks for posting this..

Post Thanks / Like

Let me know what you think about it. A brown paper bag may be better. I have nothing to compare to.

Post Thanks / Like

I’m interested in knowing since I might make one soon. SK has good video of his using brown paper bag.

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Brad, had not heard of using that so went on a search. Found a post on BBC where a guy had a good idea. Take a test cap for size pvc your using. Place it in pipe and knock or cut bottom out leaving the outside edge and lip. Then remove and place a piece of the Tyvec over end of pvc then press the test cap in to hold it to pvc. Might be a little easier than trying to glue on. I was real fortunate a guy gave me a section of the commercial sheeting that is used in most commercial built cups. Have about 10 cups set up with different colors.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

I read that too Charlie. I started to try that, but it would have meant another trip to the store. Did you see the updated post on my motor? Do you think a carb slightly cracked open would cause the filter bowl to gravity drain partially?

Post Thanks / Like

Brad,

I make all my own fluid bed cups out of PVC and chamois. Other materials may work better, but I’ve made a bunch for cheap!

I even made a smaller version for small batches of custom paint mixes.

I keep the paint stored in the cups and covered with what is called a “test cap”

Name:  IMG_3471.jpg
Views: 882
Size:  58.3 KB

Name:  IMG_3679.jpg
Views: 830
Size:  160.2 KB

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Likes SuperDave336 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! Quite the collection there. I had read that Chamois worked real good. Only problem, I didn't know where to get a "real" chamois cloth. I poured my powder back into the cup it came in. Wasted some too. The test cap would surely be better if our humidity doesn't make it clump up. Where's the cheapest place to buy powder? Also what glue did you use to keep the chamois on?
    Thanks Pondfisher42 thanked you for this post

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FurFlyin View Post
    I read that too Charlie. I started to try that, but it would have meant another trip to the store. Did you see the updated post on my motor? Do you think a carb slightly cracked open would cause the filter bowl to gravity drain partially?
    It very well could. If all he did is sync carbs and got that one closed. It could have caused that one to seep just a little fuel. Remember that section is going to have just a slight amount of pressure on the system until it bleed down a little. Though I would have a tendency with out looking at your set up to lean toward a sticking float. Which shouldn’t happen since you have had them apart, cleaned and run seafoam through them.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Thanks FurFlyin, Pondfisher42 thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I bought a small chamois from the auto store. I still have some left after making all my cups.

For glue I use gel super glue. I found its best to stretch the chamois a little and tape it to a flat surface before clamping the glued pvc.

I was a little worried about the possibility of humidity issues, but I’ve never had a problem. I just stir it a little before turning on the air pump

Name:  IMG_3468.jpg
Views: 825
Size:  63.7 KB
    Name:  IMG_3467.jpg
Views: 814
Size:  123.5 KB

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Likes SuperDave336 LIKED above post

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast