Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: 4 stroke - grade of gas and type of oil?

Post Thanks / Like

Default 4 stroke - grade of gas and type of oil?

Just got a used 4 stroke, Yamaha 50, 2003
    dealer say to run straight 30 wt in it.
    Yamaha internet site says 10w30 or 10w40, (if I was on the right site)
    Anyway, I'm wondering what kind of oil you 4 stroke owners run and what grade of gas.
    thanks,
    brett w
    G3PO

Post Thanks / Like

gas 89 octaine, oil 10w30 high grade name brand i would not use the off brands thats what i use on a merc 25 2 stroke

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Yamaha F50 TLR and only use Yamalube for 4 Stroke. The additional cost (maybe 2 or 3 bucks an oil change) vs. the number of oil changes per year (maybe 3 if you REALLY use your boat A LOT) make it an easy decision for me. It's made for these motors by the manufacturer. Is there any difference between conventional 10w30. Who knows. To save 3.00 am I willing to find out on a 6000 dollar motor ... NO.

Yamalube

Gas I run 89 or 93 depending on the cost. During duck season I add the appropriate amount of stabil on EVERY tank. Warmer temps about every 2nd or 3rd tank. My boat gets A LOT of use year round and I have to make LONG runs during duck season.

The biggest problem these motors have is under revving. Make sure you have the correct pitch prop for your boat and you are turning the correct RPMs. Over revving is not near as hard on these are under revving them.
    Last edited by itallushrt; 04-11-2007 at 06:26 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

87 octane, 10W-30 Mobil 1 and I change the oil and filter every 6 months or 50 hours along with the lower unit.
    Gerald K4NHN
    Cayce, SC
    Gerald K4NHN
    Cayce, SC