Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Line/leader advice

Post Thanks / Like

Default Line/leader advice

About to reline all of my poles and was looking for advice on line/leader combos. I mainly spider rig with a football weight above a barrel swivel and then a single hook/jig tied to about 20 inches below that. What is a good combo that will ensure that if I break off it will usually be below my barrel swivel. I like to pretie my leaders to my jigs/hooks because of failing eye sight. Should I use a certain type of knot in a certain place? Thanks for any advice.

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tb27688 View Post
    About to reline all of my poles and was looking for advice on line/leader combos. I mainly spider rig with a football weight above a barrel swivel and then a single hook/jig tied to about 20 inches below that. What is a good combo that will ensure that if I break off it will usually be below my barrel swivel. I like to pretie my leaders to my jigs/hooks because of failing eye sight. Should I use a certain type of knot in a certain place? Thanks for any advice.
    I use 6lb test mono to tie my leaders with ... then wrap a bunch of those pre-tied leaders around a section of Pool Noodle. I tie a loop knot on one end of the leader and a jighead to the other end. I tie a Improved Clinch knot on the jighead.

My main lines on my long rods are 17-30# test mono or braid... with a duo-lock snap or swivel on the end of the main line to hook the loop knot of my leader into. Barrel sinkers are on the main lines above the duo-lock snap .... and on the rods with a swivel I can attach different size weights and push the loop knot thru the bottom eye of the weight and then run the jighead thru the loop and pull it closed.

As long as your leader line is a lighter pound test than your main line, chances of the leader breaking first are good.
    Likes tb27688 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

we use mainly 10# line for main line on our spider or tightlining rigs with either 6 or 8# test low vis. line Trilene xl is all I use for main line and my longlining rods which I use 6# on them only.
    If you don't get hung every-once-n-a-while you ain't jigg'n it right..:D
    Member of:
    South Carolina Crappie Association TX. Trail
    Vexan Pro-staff Member
    Likes trypman1, tb27688 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I use 10# mono with 6# leader, I like the 2 wrap loop knot or Palomar knot!
    Likes tb27688 LIKED above post