Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Question on Soft Baits

kmarker Guest

Default Question on Soft Baits

I recently got a bait kit as a gift that has an assortment of soft baits (minnows, tubes, grubs, beetles, craws, shads, and frogs). I have zero experience fishing with artifical bait. Are there certain situations (ie. time of year, time of day, etc.) where one type of bait tend to work better than others? Or is it pretty much whatever the fish are interested in eating on a given day? I'd appreciate any and all advice! Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

I get those kits from time to time as a gift; sort of like getting a tie every father's day.
    Your question is really open ended since I don't know what type of waters you will be fishing. I fish both shallow/stained water, and clear deep water. I carry enough stuff that it would fill a 5 gallon bucket. I do well at times with a smoke or clear/pepper curly tail that comes in most of those kits. In the shallow/stained waters I like to cast with and sometimes without a cork. In the deeper clear water, I mainly tight line directly over deep brush. But if I find them in a cove with water less than 20', I cast with a heavier jig head so I can get it a little further away from the boat.
    I hope this gets you to thinking. Read the articles on this site and get some more ideas.
    DP
    I am a heterosexual male. 2 Chronicles 7:14
    "If my people who are called by My name will humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from Heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land."

Post Thanks / Like

Nothing special where time of year etc. are concerned.
    Biggest three things are
    1) finding where the fish are
    2) finding what color they like that day
    3) presentation that gets them to bite.

slow troll, vertical cast, straight-line, hang 'em under a bobber. All of these are tried and true methods that work with the stuff in your kit.

Have fun with it!

Post Thanks / Like

Any chance you can post a picture of your kit, or a link to somewhere online that sells it and has a picture?

2010 NWR Bash Crappie Division Champion

kmarker Guest

Here's a pic of what's in the kit. I understand you use different colors for different water clarity. What I'd like to understand better is why would I use a grub over a frog, etc. Thanks for any help.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

backtocrappie is offline Moderator OT Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Nahhh none of that is gonna work, I'll take it off your hands for ya.

Seriously thought I thnk it's a good selcetion and the best thing to do with it test test test. I prefer white grubs this time of year. But thats just the lakes I fish here. Blue and white tube might be the thing where you live.
    "We're going to take things away from you on behalf of the common good"
    Sen. Hillary Clinton - Speech at Democratic Fundraiser, June 2004

Post Thanks / Like

KMARKER,
    I have a place where I fish that fish will suspend between 12 to 25 feet of water year round so what I do is verticle jig 4 to 5 different jigs on the same line about 1 foot apart. I do this with two poles so I can get 10 different baits down there just to see what they like. a few minnows on there help or even some wax worms to give them that little kick that fish like. try it if you have time and let us know how you did. Good luck. SMITTY 58D