• No positive gain at all on color selection

6 17.65%
  • On the fence

6 17.65%
  • Not enough experience with one to have opinion

15 44.12%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Color-C-Lectors

silverside is online now Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Color-C-Lectors

I have never used one for crappie fishing. I have used one many times while fishing bass tournaments. I do believe and proven to myself and others that on certain days they do make a difference. What do you all think?

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I put my vote in for "no positive gain" .... simply because both the original Color-C-lector and the Combo-C-lector that I've owned, only showed me basically one color combo to use in all the years I used them.
    I used them back in my early Bass fishing days, but only fished one particular lake, and already knew the color combo that the unit suggested was a good choice ... that being blue/chartreuse.
    It may also be the reason that the color combo I started Crappie fishing with (for plastics) was blue/chartreuse.
    Thanks silverside thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

A partner and I were bass fishing a drop off with texas rigged worms. The magic color was indicated as red. With red, I caught fish right away. Maybe 5 or 6. My partned tried black, motor oil, and purple without luck. He switched to red and boated a fish in 5 minutes and kept catching. I switched to blue and stopped catching fish. I dunno… it could have been a paranormal thing

Post Thanks / Like

I used one for Crappie/Bass fishing back in the early to mid 90`s, always seemed to help caught more fish when using color in range it suggested. Now I fish lakes I know what colors work so no need for one.
    Thanks silverside thanked you for this post

ezgoing is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Are these still being made? I tried to find one a few weeks ago but all I could find was used ones for sale.

Bass Pro Shop lists one but has no order button for it and no price. Amazon lists it but no price and has statement out of stock, don't know when it will be available again.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by silverside View Post
    A partner and I were bass fishing a drop off with texas rigged worms. The magic color was indicated as red. With red, I caught fish right away. Maybe 5 or 6. My partned tried black, motor oil, and purple without luck. He switched to red and boated a fish in 5 minutes and kept catching. I switched to blue and stopped catching fish
    I have one and used it, I tend to fish the same locations with little water color change so I seldom pull it out now days. But your experience does bring back some famous words that someone (I think it was Bill Dance or Jimmy Houston) once said "Trust your Instruments" at the time they were really referencing GPS on fish locators back in the day when it was still pretty new. Me and a bud was on a lake when a thick fog rolled in we were a ways out and dead in the water from lack of visibility, you'd be surprised how quickly you become disoriented when you can't see no more than 30 ft. in any direction. It was the first time I had to rely solely on a gauge to get back safely, my friend kept saying "No" we need to go that way, well I had just recently heard those words said and told my friend "lets follow this gps back" and sure enough it worked.
    Likes silverside LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Lonnie I agree with trusting instruments. I do not think though that just because water color stays the same so does color. There are other variables that affects visibility. Changed amount of light, location of sun, underwater current changes, etc. I don't know. I guess if I knew everything I would be filthy rich
    Likes fisheye5 LIKED above post

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I like mine....its not a have to have item....but it is nice to have. It does seem to get the game started a little faster sometimes. Name:  20190120_174248.jpg
Views: 524
Size:  49.7 KB

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Likes silverside, Dutch552, Herewego LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I agree... not a deal breaker. I am on my 3rd since they came out though.Color-C-Lectors

Sent from my SM-G960U using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast