Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Some Jig Questions

Post Thanks / Like

Default Some Jig Questions

I found a videocassette in our public library today by Bill Dance. It's on crappie fishing. He is using a rig consisting of 3 jigs evenly spaced on his line. I assume that the bottom jig is tied on with something like a clinch knot or an improved clinch knot. But how do you tie on the jigs that are farther up the line?

I also found about 10 minutes to quickly look thru the fishing stuff at Wal-Mart. They didn't have much. I guess they haven't restocked for spring. They did have a few tube jigs made be Creme. They also had some jig heads. Some were painted and some were the unpainted lead gray. Does the color of the painted jig head have to match the color of the tube jig. The tube jigs were two colors. Say, a red tube & chartreuse skirt. Does the jig head need to be red also since the red tube is the part that will be closest to it when you rig up?

I hope to go to BPS one of these days, but it's 1 1/2 hours away. What about the Creme jigs? How do they compare with Squirmin' Squirts?

Thanks

Tugaloo

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb knots...

Quote Originally Posted by Tugaloo
    I found a videocassette in our public library today by Bill Dance. It's on crappie fishing. He is using a rig consisting of 3 jigs evenly spaced on his line. I assume that the bottom jig is tied on with something like a clinch knot or an improved clinch knot. But how do you tie on the jigs that are farther up the line?

I also found about 10 minutes to quickly look thru the fishing stuff at Wal-Mart. They didn't have much. I guess they haven't restocked for spring. They did have a few tube jigs made be Creme. They also had some jig heads. Some were painted and some were the unpainted lead gray. Does the color of the painted jig head have to match the color of the tube jig. The tube jigs were two colors. Say, a red tube & chartreuse skirt. Does the jig head need to be red also since the red tube is the part that will be closest to it when you rig up?

I hope to go to BPS one of these days, but it's 1 1/2 hours away. What about the Creme jigs? How do they compare with Squirmin' Squirts?

Thanks

Tugaloo
    Just guessing.. probably palomar knot...
    Tighten er down till ya strip it--then back off 1/4 turn..
    HEY,,Y'all watch THIS..........

Post Thanks / Like

The easiesy way is with a drop shot knot like bass fishermen use.

http://bassresource.com/fishing/drop-shot.html

If you follow those instructions exactly the hook will always be up.

Wallmart also sells a prerigged pack that has two hooks, just add a sinker.

Post Thanks / Like

The easiesy way is with a drop shot knot like bass fishermen use.

http://bassresource.com/fishing/drop-shot.html

If you follow those instructions exactly the hook will always be up.

Wallmart also sells a prerigged pack that has two hooks, just add a sinker.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Colors

Hey Tugaloo,
    Some of us prefer heads that are painted, some don't like them, and some it doesn't matter too much. Myself, I have an endless supply of painted heads in every color and combination imaginable so I can say I never use a plain or unpainted head. (I use solid silver sometimes, but it is painted on)

To me, I like to get several colors in a jig, the more the better. I use hand tied jigs that have up to 7 or 8 distinct colors. Some days the fish will take a single colored jig before anything else, and sometimes they want more variety. I think different colors allow them to see a jig more easily depending on light and water clarity conditions.

To answer your question about the combinations, where I fish there are two most popular color combinations. They are red and chartreuse, or black and chartreuse. Assuming the jig bodies are red with a chartreuse tail, sometimes I will use a black jig head for more contrast and an added color. Sometimes I will use a red head to match the body, but most of the time now I will use a jig head that is chartreuse on the "belly side" and red on the back. Likewise on the black and chartreuse jigs.

There are no set rules when mixing and matching colors for crappie fishing. I think most of us here would use pink and purple polka dotted jigs if that's what was catching the most fish!

I would suggest since you haven't already gone plum tackle crazy yet (like a few others on this board, OK, ME! ha ha) that you buy enough to get by on for now, and wait until you get to BPS to look at the better selection. Not going to say the local jigs don't or won't work, just that they will have a larger assortment at BPS and you can see first hand what looks good to you.

Try and talk to some local anglers and see what they have to say. See if there is any type of "local lake colors" or types of jigs, etc. Then when you go to the big store you will have a better idea of what to look for. Try to limit yourself to just enough tackle to last a season or two if you can. That's exactly what I did about 30 years ago........ The trouble is that I have been doing it 3 or 4 times a year ever since.

Mike
    I may have a "Crappie" job, but you should see my office!

Post Thanks / Like

Creme lures are good, all jig brands are good. Just depends on the colors that they come in. And then figuring out what color the crappie wants. Red/Chart is a good color, and no you dont have to have a painted jighead. Some people swear by them others dont. I perfer a colored jighead, usually another color other than what the jigs colors are.
    Ted
    Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night will keep me from crappie fishing!
    2010 Lake of the Ozarks Super Slab Champion

Post Thanks / Like

Tugaloo, Mike has some good ideas also BPS makes some nice kits that are made up of the popular colors and jigs. Those are good starter sets and they will get you headed in the right direction.
    Ted
    Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night will keep me from crappie fishing!
    2010 Lake of the Ozarks Super Slab Champion

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Tugaloo ...

one way you can attach your jigs to your main line - is to use a piece of 20# mono and tie the jig to one end and tie the other end to the main line. This causes the jig to "stand away" from the main line better than a lighter line or the same pound test line as your main line. The 20# mono is stiffer than the 6-8lb test line that you may be using as your main line. You can tie the heavy mono onto the main line with most any good knot (palomar, improved clinch, etc) that you would use to tie line onto a bait with. You could probably, also, "slide" the jigs farther apart or closer together, too, if needed. Just be aware that, when doing so, you may be "mashing" the main line, or heating it up (friction heat), and that could lower the pound test of the main line.
    You could also put on 3way swivels - but, that will change the "weight" and "drag" of the set-up, too - so take that into consideration. And you won't be able to "slide" your jigs up/down the main line, either ... you'd have to re-rig the set-up to spread your jigs farther apart, or put them closer together. ...............cp

Post Thanks / Like

I make pre-tied leaders for the times I want 2 baits. I use 10 lb test. Florocarbon works well due to its stiffness. Tie a loop on one end to attach to the main line.Where you want the 1st hook (or jig) tie a dropper loop then snip one end of the loop so a single strand sticks out. Tie a jig on the other end of the leader with any knot you like. I like the baits about 18" apart. A #5 split shot halfway between the 2 baits helps get it down in deep water.