Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: When do you clean your fish?

Post Thanks / Like

Default When do you clean your fish?

In the past I've taken mine home whole and put them in the freezer. Catfish and bass that is. It's a pain because I've got a 10lb cat in the freezer I have to thaw.

Do you all clean them at the place you catch them, bring them home and immediately clean them, or freeze them whole?

I've been thinking about a portable cleaning station and cleaning them at the place I'm fishing and bringing home just the filets in ziploc bags.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

I only clean crappie, but I put em on ice and clean em the next day. Don’t know the scientific reason, but little to no blood this way.....plus, no flop.
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.
    Likes Slab LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Do you kill them first or straight onto the ice then the next day cuttem up

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

For me it depends on the lake I'm fishing, because some lakes I fish do not have any cleaning facilities. Those are usually brought home on ice or in the livewell with added bottles of ice. Otherwise, I clean them at the cleaning station and put the bags of fillets in a cooler w/ice for the trip home. Since most of the lakes I fish are 1-2hr trips (each way), an empty cooler is generally brought along for transporting the fish (or fillets) and either a bag of ice is bought on the way home ... or ice paks or bottles of ice are brought along, in the cooler, from home.
    The ones I bring home are cleaned right then, and soak overnight in fridge before being frozen or cooked.
    Likes USMA65, trypman1, timd3200 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BAFishBarn View Post
    Do you kill them first or straight onto the ice then the next day cuttem up

From livewell to ice. I did it just tonight, and actually thought about knocking them in the head, but in the end just put them on ice.
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok good info all around. I guess once I get in the crappie groove I'll bring a cooler and ice along. My jon boat doesnt have a live well, just a fish basket! Haha.

Post Thanks / Like

I bring mine home and fillet them while they are still flouncing. Then the wife does the rest of the cleaning and putting them in water and freezing them. She also does all the cooking up of them. All I can say is they taste mighty good. I like the crappie the best they just can't be beat.
    Be safe and good luck fishing
    Likes footballcoach LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I fillet my most time when I get home. If too tire put them on ice fillet them next day.
    LittleJohn

Post Thanks / Like

Ice them. Either directly to a cooler of ice on the boat or ice them once home. Have waited up to 2 days to clean, just keep ice on them and drain any water. I think the blood goes back into the veins and internal organs when on ice. Much easier to clean when cold imo

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com
    Likes trypman1 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I have always covered my fish with ice and clean'em when I get home as noted next to no blood; however we caught a few cat's this weekend and before we left the lake went ahead and cleaned them. Well on the ride home I told the wife I'm sure glad I don't have to clean fish when we get home!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast