Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Road Runners

Post Thanks / Like

Default Road Runners

What is your favorite way to fish Road Runners? Trolling? Pulling? Casting?
    What are your most effective color combinations? Last week in Tennessee on the Big Sandy, we had a lot of luck trolling with a chartreuse Road Runner head with blue and chartreuse, yellow and charteuse, and lime green and chartreuse. We also used TeeZur jigheads with success.

crappieranger
    You don't know if you don't go.

Post Thanks / Like

I like to slow troll them with a minnow. Very good search bait for me. As far as colors go I like a red head with a white body.
    Monk

Speck is offline MO/MS Moderator and Fishing Legend * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I also like the red head and white body. Been using them for years and caught a ton of crappie with them.

Crazy Angler Pro Staff
    Crappie Logic Pro Staff

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Casting under a float.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

I like to cast them in the spring, but most of the time I slow troll them with somekind of tube on it. Pefer the black and white heads over the rest. If I fish a black head I use a charteuse or pink body, with the white head I use plain white.
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

I prefer my hand tied ones and I like pulling and trolling them. I also like a marabou tail as marabou has more movement in the water than anything I have used. Even sitting still a jig/Roadrunner with a marabou tail moves or undulates in the water and looks more alive and breathing.

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking Just be sure and have some ....

and fish them any way you can think of ... LOL!!

Seriously though ... I use the marabou RR's in solid chartreuse --- I also use custom made ones in solid pink, and in char/teal/char (thanks to Oregon Slabman). Mostly, I cast and retrieve them ... at a moderate rate of speed (fast enough to get the blade spinning, slow enough to keep them in an upright position).
    I have trolled with them, with good success, over sandy or pea gravel bottoms ... and even along shallow banks, just over the ends of fallen timber or submerged wood.
    I don't go fishing for Crappie ... without Roadrunners :p (or a reasonable facimile, thereof ). I've just put too many Crappie in the boat, on too many different trips, to too many different lakes ... to be foolish enough to not have them !! :D

...... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I use them mostly casting I have been here lately starting to put one on the end of my jigging pole. And I do agree with crappiepappy you can't go crappie fishing without a RR. I either use a white or char. depending on the cloud cover and mix the bodies up.
    can't catch'em at home

Post Thanks / Like

Just Started Getting Into Crappie Fishig I Use Char Head Black Body With A Char Tail Do Alot Of Good With This Color Would Like Other Good Color Combo To Try . I Fish Out Of Morgan Creek & Just Started Fishing Big Sandy

Post Thanks / Like

i like pulling them. i prefer the plain jig head that way i can quickly change up the color combinations if the fish seem to like one shade a little more that day.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast