Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Longest rod you’ll use for...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Longest rod you’ll use for...

What is the longest rod you’ll use for jigging? I had success a few times last year slowly going down the bank with two rods in my hand. A 6’ and a 10’. I didn’t noticed a significant difference in catching fish on one rod or the other. I would think the longer the rod, the better it would be since it’s further away from the boat.

Needing to buy another rod this year should I get another 10/12’ rod or in your experiences will a 6’ rod do just as well, also lighter on your hands all day.

Redge is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2017 Man Of The Year
    Post Thanks / Like

I prefer 10 or 12’s depending on water clarity.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer!
    Likes Hat55, minnowtime LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

its quite funny tbh seeing such long rods used for such a small fish seriously whats the point of having a 12 foot rod for crappie? they have to be heck to store when i bank fish i dont use anything over 6 feet
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 02-03-2019 at 10:40 PM.
    Likes BDBFishing LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

The longest rod I have is a 6 ft., I use a 5 ft. and a 5 ft. 6 in. ,, they seem to work for me anyways.

Post Thanks / Like

When I single pole jig, I almost always use a 6' rod regardless of situation. I just like it. My longer rods are strictly for trolling in one form or another.
    "Alive without breath, as cold as death; never thirsty, ever drinking, all in mail never clinking."

Post Thanks / Like

The only time I ever use a rod longer than 8ft is when I am fishing for crappie during the spawn. Those fish are in deep cover and you need the extra length to fish brush effectively. The only time use a rod that is less than 6ft is when fishing bridge pilings when I have limited overhead space or marina's with limited overhead space. I do not troll so i have no use for 14ft rods. I use a 7 footers 80% of the time.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 16ft rod I bought last year just to fish some hard to reach trees during the spawn. It’s a handful but worked as planned.
    My everyday rod is a 12 footer , for 2 reasons-
    1) helps with distance from the boat
    2) gives me more reach to unhook jigs when I get hung up .

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com
    Likes stumpjumper, Redge LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I have really short rods and I have one as long as 12 foot . I typically use the shorter rods in the 5 to 7 foot range . occasionally I will play with the 10 , but the 12 has never even had a reel put on it . both of those were gifts .
    I like 8 foot rods when I am on the bank using a fixed float at depths of 6 to 8 foot .
    I employ several presentations and try to use what fits the situation best
    that's my 2 cents
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales

Post Thanks / Like

Try the 9' SHSS by B n' M. I can cast or troll with these rods quite well. I also use a 7' SHSS for casting with excellent results.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."
    Likes 1187mg, trypman1 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I have used 10' rods for jigging all my life whether it be out of the boat or wading, since I got a bigger boat I have bought a 12' bnm ultralight to use out of it and like it, but the 10' is still my favorite.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast