HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tip For Eliminating Line Twist

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tip For Eliminating Line Twist

I tried a tip from You Tube's Richard Gene on eliminating line twist and it worked so I thought I would share for the ones that have not seen it yet.

Before putting your new line on your reel put it down in a bucket of water and let it set in the water for 4-5 days. Make sure you take off the label and all of leftover glue on the spool before putting it in the water. After 5 days, you can then reel on your new line and have no line twist.

I did it and it works. Line has zero twist. Thanks Richard.
    Crappie Time
    Thanks Slab thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, that's a cool trick, will try it for all my spinning reels
    1990 Stratos 285 Pro 200 HP Merc
    SpyderLok Rod Holders
    Proud Member of Team Watch The Finger!!!
    (662) 458-8925

Post Thanks / Like

I also saw that trick. Gonna have to try it soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The two best times to fish (when it's raining & when it aint). Proud member of team GitDaFeeshGrease

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tip For Eliminating Line Twist

What does putting it in the water do to the line to make it not have twists??

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GreenLine View Post
    What does putting it in the water do to the line to make it not have twists??

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com
    (copied from Berkley website)

Monofilament fishing lines absorb water, which means they behave differently beneath the surface than when you’re testing them in the tackle shop.
    The degree varies. Some are sponges, sopping up 8 percent or more of their weight in water. Premium blends absorb less, but still soak up some.
    In general, water absorption makes mono "looser," or more relaxed than when the line is dry. It stretches more, handles better and casts farther. On the flip side, abrasion resistance tends to suffer, along with both tensile and shock strength.
    Likes Alphahawk LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Not a thing (IMO). It just absorbs a little water and becomes limper and more manageable. I made a spool holder rod (axle) for my power screwdriver. I put the spool on there and wind the line on the spool like a baitcaster, guiding it back and forth with my hand. This is the only way to get line on with no twist, in my opinion.
    "Alive without breath, as cold as death; never thirsty, ever drinking, all in mail never clinking."

Post Thanks / Like

Years back a NJ charter captain we went with on a regular basis would put the spool of line in a bucket of water while adding line to a spinning reel. That was in the 70s, and he claimed it eliminated twist. And yes he just scooped up a bucket of salt water. Capt. Ken Wilson, fished the bays and near shore areas near Atlantic City till he was about 70. Then moved to the Chockoloskee area and fished till he was about 90. If Richard Gene was cloned, for sure Ken was involved.

Post Thanks / Like

I trail line behind the boat just about every time i go. That and orient the spool correctly when you are adding new line. Has worked for me for many years.

Post Thanks / Like

One I learned from a guide is on spinning reels instead of using the handle to close the bail use your hand helps not adding twist to the line and at the same time give a little tug keeps loops out of the line on the spool. I started doing it and I do not ever even think about it I cannot remember the last time I used the reel handle to close the bale.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Biggest tips I can give are :

don't wrist snap cast if possible ... use a more fluid motion overhead cast. (wrist snap casts can cause the bait to spin in the air on the cast)

Prior to using the reel ... tie off the tag end and walk off a double cast distance of line - close bail and pull line taught and hold for 5-6sec's - repeat x2 more times - leave rod/reel there and go untie/cut tag end loose - go back to rod/reel and pinch line between finger/thumb and reel the line back in. The stretching will relax the line and straighten out the memory coils, and the reeling back in (thru the grass) with tension at the reel will untwist the line and spool the line back on the reel tightly (so there's no loose line loops).

I'm not in the believer camp that closing the bail by turning the reel handle "twists" the line. The bail system is independent of the spool, and the spool is stationary. I honestly don't see how that system could impart a twist in the line. What it can do, however, is wrap line loosely on the spool ... which can cause "birdsnests" on subsequent casts. Lifting the rod as you turn the reel handle to engage the bail will help put some tension on the line, and help eliminate loose line loops on the spool. It's probably a good idea to do that even when closing the bail by hand (or at least tugging on the line before beginning to reel in). FWIW ... I use both methods (manual bail closing & reel handle bail closing).

Dragging an empty line behind a boat at idle speed is also a method I've used before, that works very well.
    Likes PawPaw Gene, Mosquitopat LIKED above post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast