Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: need help at Piru

fishyboy Guest

Default need help at Piru

I am a beginner crappie fisherman, and i was thinking about going to piru Friday. I don't know what to use but can you give me some information about crappie fishing? Also which cove should i fish in? What lures should i get? What color? What time of day? I would really like your input on this.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hello fishboy

The crappie we were catching were in the first small cove to the left. Its almost a cove but its sold brush from shore all the way out to the main lake. Usually crappie from here all the way up the the second launch ramp. Crank up the sensitivity on your fish finder and fish brush even if you dont chart lots or any fish. As for tackle we used 2-4 pound test and busted off way to much, switched to the 6# reel and did better. The fish were active out in 16-18 feet anywhere from about 6' to the bottem but Im sure they are in a little shallower now, 12' is probably a good depth for quality fish. Jigs, anything will do. I have done real well on normal white marabou jigs and we use green and yellow last trip, someone else used red white, color wont matter that much. I like to drop the jig down and just wait and feel then I try to make a pounding motion like you would with a hammer tapping something then stop and wait, every now and then I hope the jig a foot or 2. You should also try the coves on the north east side of the lake. Morning is usually best and the west side gets windy and hard to fish in the middle of the day. Good luck, Rob
    "Some days im Basstastic other days im crapptacular"

Post Thanks / Like

I did real well there usiong a white road runner head and a white tube. Caught fish in almost every cove I fished. There is a small cove across from the marina. When you get in to the cove start fishing in about 12-21 ft of water last april I fished that cove two straight weekends and smoked them. Caught 4 large mouth in that cove too that averaged about 5lbs each so if you are fishing UL tackle be perpared. Hope this works for ya. Lewt us know how you did.
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Dave

fishyboy Guest

i went today, and caught about 8 crappie, and 1 bluegill. all on tube jigs

Post Thanks / Like

Default good going

not bad for a first trip. So dish! I want to hear.
    Where did you fish?
    How deep?
    How long to catch the first fish?
    How big? Piru has some nice 1-1.5#s
    "Some days im Basstastic other days im crapptacular"