Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: making jigs

JIG BITE Guest

Default making jigs

Hello, I am new to the forum. I read it all the time. I make my own jigs and wonder if anyone else puts eyes on their jigs. I use a sharpie pen, then I put a clear finish on it. Is it necessary to put eyes on the jigs or does it make a difference at all.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JIG BITE
    Hello, I am new to the forum. I read it all the time. I make my own jigs and wonder if anyone else puts eyes on their jigs. I use a sharpie pen, then I put a clear finish on it. Is it necessary to put eyes on the jigs or does it make a difference at all.
    Attachment 10261 From Toledo Bend Texas!

Actually I do eyes if the customer wants them. I put them on many of my personal jigs, however I really think it doesn't make much difference most of the time. I don't think painting them is important most of the time, but I coat all of mine and if they want natural I use clear or silver paint.

So to each his or her own when it comes to eyes, but I do like the eyes I make on my jigs. You can get a look at my web site if you want.

Skip
    Last edited by skiptomylu; 12-17-2008 at 11:24 AM.

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

I don't paint eyes on my tied jigs. But you never know just a little black, red or orange on the head might make alot of difference on tough crappie. Found out on this one lake a dark green tail with a little orange in it put a many of crappie in my boat these last couple of weeks verses no orange.

TT

Post Thanks / Like

Default Eyes

I dont make my own jigs YET, but I have been eyeballing the process and jigs. I would really prefer a double drop eye or a stick on eye, just as personal preferance. I dont think it makes a differance though. I have eyeballed getting a machine to do the eyes. Ive seen similar machines on ebay they look like they would do eyes. I do like the big/bright eyes a sticker provides though given your jig has flat sides. Ive build my own fluid bed also and made a few silicne molds of my favorite discontinued lures but do not have any hooks or lead pot to go to town. I have also been toying with the idea of making a small 6" or possibly 9" spincaster to help produce more and higher quality jigs.
    "Some days im Basstastic other days im crapptacular"

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Living animals and fish have eyes. A jig is supposed to be a minnow imitator. 3/4 of mine do have eyes. A wooden matchstick or the stem of an old slip float is excellent for making eyes. Dab it in good exterior black paint and lightly touch to the jig. You can do two tone effects the same way. Make a larger yellow or red dot, then dot with the black. Let dry.

Immediate "eyes"

old ship
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

I tie a few jigs myself....they are far from pretty, but they catch fish. I have experimented with putting on eyes with a sharpie or stick on eyes that I bought from Jans Netcraft. Haven't noticed a huge difference between those with eyes vs. those without. Feel like if you find the fish and put the bait in front of them the undulation of the maribou or feather makes em hit.

Post Thanks / Like

One more thing about eyes....I use to think it was not an issue at all, but then I was reading some fly tying tips and a guy said have you ever seen a bait fish that didn't have eyes?

Something to think about huh?

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking Something else to think about ......

Quote Originally Posted by skiptomylu
    One more thing about eyes....I use to think it was not an issue at all, but then I was reading some fly tying tips and a guy said have you ever seen a bait fish that didn't have eyes?

Something to think about huh?
    Since Crappie come from behind, or from underneath, a jig that's being retrieved .... they probably don't/can't see if the jig even has any eyes
    Now ... I can see eyes being a possible "plus", for vertical jiggers and those times when you have to try and hold the jig steady in one place ... when the Crappie has a bit of time to look over the jig, and decide if it's something to eat. But, since most of my Crappie fishing is cast/retrieve, shoot/retrieve, or Vertical Casting .... I think the motion of the jig, or jig body, is what gets their attention. And, for the most part, I use unpainted jigheads ... no color, except the silver/grey of the lead ... and no eyes ... and I still catch fish.

It would be a hard thing to positively prove whether eyes are all that important ... so, maybe letting personal choice & confidence be the guiding factor would be the best scenario ... and we'll all catch fish on them, eyes or no eyes

...... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappiepappy
    Since Crappie come from behind, or from underneath, a jig that's being retrieved .... they probably don't/can't see if the jig even has any eyes
    Now ... I can see eyes being a possible "plus", for vertical jiggers and those times when you have to try and hold the jig steady in one place ... when the Crappie has a bit of time to look over the jig, and decide if it's something to eat. But, since most of my Crappie fishing is cast/retrieve, shoot/retrieve, or Vertical Casting .... I think the motion of the jig, or jig body, is what gets their attention. And, for the most part, I use unpainted jigheads ... no color, except the silver/grey of the lead ... and no eyes ... and I still catch fish.

It would be a hard thing to positively prove whether eyes are all that important ... so, maybe letting personal choice & confidence be the guiding factor would be the best scenario ... and we'll all catch fish on them, eyes or no eyes

...... cp
    CP,

What is the difference between vertical jigging and vertical casting? Forgive my ignorance, but I thought they were one in the same.

Thanks,
    -Kid
    Jeremiah 16:16a "But now I will send for many fishermen," declares the Lord, "and they will catch them."

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink Hey Kid ....

Quote Originally Posted by DC Crappie Kid
    CP,
    What is the difference between vertical jigging and vertical casting? Forgive my ignorance, but I thought they were one in the same.
    Thanks,
    -Kid
    it's a matter of "interpretation". Read my article, from the articles section of this site, and it should explain where the differences lie ... at least, in my "interpretation" -- http://www.crappie.com/articles/crappiepappy.htm

Basically though ... vertical jigging = no reeling --- Vertical Casting = reeling

....... cp

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast