Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: long rods?

Post Thanks / Like

Default long rods?

Does anybody use long rods, "Long meaning 10 foot or longer" to cast small 1/16 ounce jigs. I havnt really tried I just heard somebody saying it works pretty good.

Post Thanks / Like

use them(12ft)90+% of the time.if you use a long one out of your boat,make sure your boat is big enough (19 foot skeeter).also dont get to close to trees with overhanging limbs.sorry,your original question,yes.i do a lot of what i call "falsecasting".After you get used to it you can drop a little jig 30 to 40 feet away with pinpoint accuracy.bk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by slabmaster09
    Does anybody use long rods, "Long meaning 10 foot or longer" to cast small 1/16 ounce jigs. I havnt really tried I just heard somebody saying it works pretty good.
    I use a pretty big range of rod length, but if I am casting I don't use the long ones too much. Put trolling and sometimes I just pull the jig along beside my boat with a 10' rod. I don't even need to reel when I do this.

I like trolling with them to get my line farther away from my boat.

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

I use 12-14 footers for casting jigs, but that's always with a float (float & fly.)

If it's "jig only", I use shorter rods, from 4.5' to 7.5'.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey there Slabmaster09, I have just found a rod that I love for casting a jig, Roadrunner, or cork and jig rig. It's made by Shakespeare and it's called the "Crappie Hunter". It is a blue 9 foot IM6 Graphite rod with a Shakespeare closed face underspin reel spooled with 4 lb. test. Wal-Mart are carrying them right now. They sell, reel and all, for 29.99!
    It's amazing how far I can cast this outfit and I get a good hookset with the long rod. I bought it for wade fishing and it works great for that but if they are not in the brush I can add a bobber and cast towards the lake also.
    Well worth the money!
    CATCH A BIG-UN

Post Thanks / Like

Depends on what you call a "cast". I underhand swing cast jigs with long poles but rarely overhand cast with a 12 foot pole.

Post Thanks / Like

Default long rods

Im no expert, just a poor crappie chaser. I normally cast for crappie and 12' rods can develope alot of stiction with line and water to the rod. I have slowly gone away from the longer rods to 7,9,10' rods. I have also use telescopic 16' rods and as of yet to see a good use for them. I always end up with a sore back/arms and fewer fish than i would have caught with a normal rod. Also for pulling them out of holes limbs and heavy cove the 16' bends way to much for me. The key is not the rod, its your confidance. The last time out I was happie to use my little 28" ice rod from the boat in the wind because we were fishing deep. I always buy sam heaton sig rods and have been very happy with them.
    "Some days im Basstastic other days im crapptacular"

Post Thanks / Like

I use a 10 footer to cast with. Works fine. I did replace the bottom guide with a larger dia guide for using a spinning reel. the rod is a Berkly Cherrywood. Very tough rod.
    Biguns only:D

Post Thanks / Like

I use a 10' B & M to cast jigs and find it to be pretty productive.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by slabbandit
    Hey there Slabmaster09, I have just found a rod that I love for casting a jig, Roadrunner, or cork and jig rig. It's made by Shakespeare and it's called the "Crappie Hunter". It is a blue 9 foot IM6 Graphite rod with a Shakespeare closed face underspin reel spooled with 4 lb. test. Wal-Mart are carrying them right now. They sell, reel and all, for 29.99!
    It's amazing how far I can cast this outfit and I get a good hookset with the long rod. I bought it for wade fishing and it works great for that but if they are not in the brush I can add a bobber and cast towards the lake also.
    Well worth the money!
    I broke a 12ft BnM rod the first time I used it. I took it back to WM and they didn't have any BnMs. I bought the crappie hunter, and I have caught about 100 crappie on it. I think mine is 10 ft. It's a little too flexible for me, but I keep telling myself that's better than breaking like the BnM! Sometimes I think the flexibility is hindering my hooksets. It definately out-casts my shorter rods. Overall, I'm very happy with it.
    Jeremiah 16:16a "But now I will send for many fishermen," declares the Lord, "and they will catch them."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast