Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: MinnKota PDs

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default MinnKota PDs

I know most of you have seen the MinnKota power drive type trolling motors and the type of mount they use. Why they make it that way instead of the standard "grap the rope and put it down/up" type is beyond me. Anyway, it is becoming harder and harder for me to get it in the water and back up. Its not the mount, its just me. Is there a secret to doing this? I've been having to get my foot up there and kicking it forward off the mount and one of these days I'm going to get wet doing that.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Default PD motors

Are you refering to the mechanism that lets the motor swing down, or where the shaft slides up and down? If the problem is in the shaft, keep her wiped down with Armor All.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shellback
    Are you refering to the mechanism that lets the motor swing down, or where the shaft slides up and down? If the problem is in the shaft, keep her wiped down with Armor All.
    I'm refering to getting it on/off the mount where the motor rests when stored.

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Sometimes the webbing that hold the trolling motor in locked down position will get caught between the base and the trolling motor bottom and then it's hell trying to get the unit unlocked and into the water. If anything gets caught inbetween those two things it put too much pressure on the locking pin and it won't move back to unlock the unit. So always make sure the straps are clear before you bring the unit up out of the water and try to lock it down on the deck.

Quote Originally Posted by IBNFSHN
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IBNFSHN
    Armor All everything. I have the same problem. I now have developed more muscles (lol) and use a lot of armour all. My main problem is how I have my rod holders mounted. I can't get a good push on the top of the trolling motor and release the catch at the same time. I much prefer the rope pull, but those guys don't make an auto pilot.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whizkids
    Armor All everything. I have the same problem. I now have developed more muscles (lol) and use a lot of armour all. My main problem is how I have my rod holders mounted. I can't get a good push on the top of the trolling motor and release the catch at the same time. I much prefer the rope pull, but those guys don't make an auto pilot.
    Thanks Whiz, I'll give that a try. I hoping my wife is going to get me one of those new multi-million dollar Motor Guide trolling motors for a retirement present. LOL

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

I use my leg and push the head of the T/M as I push with my hands. Works great.
    Pete