Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Southern Crappie Rods 14' for long-lining? Which Denali 12'?

Post Thanks / Like

Question Which Southern Crappie Rods 14' for long-lining? Which Denali 12'?

I needed a couple 14' rods, so I ordered 2 Southern Crappie SCR143. I see the trolling model SCR143T is rated for 2 oz, but I never use anything much over 1/8 oz long lining jigs. Wondering if I should have got the T model in case I want to try tight-lining. The rods will be here tomorrow, so it is a moot point now. Not sure I will ever use 2 oz for anything, 3/4 oz seems enough to down-line a minnow for crappie.

I also want 2 shorter 12' for LL and vertical fishing brush w/minnow, and want to try the Denali Pryme; they seem to be highly recommended here. In 12', they sell a Heavy Jigging 1/4 oz max or Trolling 3/4 oz max. I'm thinking the Trolling rod here.

I have searched and read many, many threads on long lining here, but almost none mention the action of the rod used, just the length. Thanks!
    "Alive without breath, as cold as death; never thirsty, ever drinking, all in mail never clinking."

Post Thanks / Like

Think you will be fine with what you ordered.

Post Thanks / Like

Hoping I can get on the water soon, too! I've been using regular 5.5 - 6 foot panfish rods to troll and needed me some proper rods for a good spread.
    "Alive without breath, as cold as death; never thirsty, ever drinking, all in mail never clinking."

Post Thanks / Like

I too just started crappie fishing and was using every old spinning rod and reel I could find around here. I really needed some good equipment. But I am on a fixed income now so I had to be frugal when purchasing equipment.

One of my mentors told me about Ozark Signature Trolling Series rods on sale at Grizzly Jig for $39.99 each. I needed some to double duty for tight lining and long lining so I ordered 8 of the 16' rods (SS1603TR). They are working well for both.

I also purchased two used 12' and two used 14' rods for trolling. Then, Bass Pro Shops had their Crappie Maxx Pro Series Crappie rods on sale for $37.49 each recently. I ordered four 10' (CRPS80MLS-2) to use for trolling at the helm.

Then I ordered some Shimano IX 1000R reels to go on them. Nice functional reels for $12.99 each on Amazon. Spooling with Crappie Maxx 6lb line.

You may want to look into some of them too.

Post Thanks / Like

I tight line with the Southern Crappie scr 143's with up to 1 oz and they work great. You should be pleased with those. I recently purchased some 9' SC for longlining. Very good rods. Shimano IX1000R great reels.

Post Thanks / Like

Southern Crappie Rods were built for True longline trolling. jigs from 1/32 to 1/8oz. pulled @ 50' behind the boat. Yes they have softer tips action than most but they'll handle and land 20+ pound catfish also. If you want a stiff tightlining Rod look up Vexan Crappie Rods there's nothing like them for you folks that think you need over a 1oz. lead to catch a crappie. You should love the Southern's, I own @ 15 from 16' to 9' rods use them for both long line and tight lining!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by stumpjumper; 01-30-2019 at 08:16 AM.
    If you don't get hung every-once-n-a-while you ain't jigg'n it right..:D
    Member of:
    South Carolina Crappie Association TX. Trail
    Vexan Pro-staff Member
    Likes Tom 513 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome input and very helpful, y'all.

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

You did good. I have 143’s for spider rigging and 12’s for long lining. They both work great. I also fish Denali for rigging. Just got a 11 ft Denali heavy jig pole. Seems like it will be good for brush pile fishing. Maybe a little more backbone than the trolling pole.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I had the privilege of meeting Mr. Ed Duke last night. I left with a set of beautiful rod and reels and couldn't be happier. He is a class-act and a real character to boot. He has a wealth of fishing knowledge and doesn't charge a dime for sharing his expertise. I look forward to visiting him again and learning how to use these awesome products.
    Philippians 4:13 "I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me"

Wear that PFD, the life you save might be your own!!
    Likes jawjatek, Marvin LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jawjatek View Post
    I needed a couple 14' rods, so I ordered 2 Southern Crappie SCR143. I see the trolling model SCR143T is rated for 2 oz, but I never use anything much over 1/8 oz long lining jigs. Wondering if I should have got the T model in case I want to try tight-lining. The rods will be here tomorrow, so it is a moot point now. Not sure I will ever use 2 oz for anything, 3/4 oz seems enough to down-line a minnow for crappie.

I also want 2 shorter 12' for LL and vertical fishing brush w/minnow, and want to try the Denali Pryme; they seem to be highly recommended here. In 12', they sell a Heavy Jigging 1/4 oz max or Trolling 3/4 oz max. I'm thinking the Trolling rod here.

I have searched and read many, many threads on long lining here, but almost none mention the action of the rod used, just the length. Thanks!
    Go to Mississippi board and ask Rees guide about the Denali. That’s what he uses

Sent from my iPad using Crappie.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast