HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with Terrova

Post Thanks / Like

Default Help with Terrova

The more I read the more confused I get. The only thing I want is spot lock and to automatically set a course and let it go. I currently have a 45 inch cheap motor guide With the lift assist on the Terrova do I need a longer shaft I’m thinking about getting the 54 inch 12 volt with I pilot only. With foot control and a remote. For what I want is there any reason to upgrade to the Ultera. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm currently have the exact Terrova you mention in your post except mine is 36volt. I ran my 1860 for years on a 12volt Powerdrive V2 with a parallel battery system. The 54" shaft is plenty long for my bay boat.Unless you have back or knee issues like I do, you should be happy with the Terrova.
    Last edited by M R Dux; 01-29-2019 at 12:58 PM.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff
    Thanks skudzax thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

The Ulterra is for people that fish or launch by themselves a lot or has problems deploying or stowing their trolling motors. Nice to have if you can afford it.
    Fishing is like pizza.......Even when it's not that good, it's still pretty good!
    Member of Lanier Crappie Anglers.com or net

Post Thanks / Like

Should have stated my boat is an 18 ft Crestliner

Post Thanks / Like

With you 18 footer, I would get a 60 inch shaft. Lift assist on these new Terrovas make it easy. No, you don't need an Ulterra. I just sold one at a loss to buy another Terrova with lift assist.

Check with Brian over at BBG Marine. I do NOT need a foot pedel or US2 sonar installed in mine. The big box stores only sell the motors with those things (which I don't need). Brian over at BBG had just what I was looking for at a fraction of the price.

You would probably be ok with a 54 inch shaft but, the longer it is, the more you can put and keep in the water if need be.

Is there any reason why you would need a foot control? Reason I ask is the Terrova 55lb thrust 54" shaft with I-pilot only (no foot pedel or US2 sonar) is 1199.99. If however you want a foot pedel included along with US2, the price is 1549.99.

If you end up wanting/needing the foot pedel, you can buy it afterwards and still save money over buying the entire unit with US2 Sonar.
    If an item isn't in stock, email Brian (owner of BBG) and he will let you know when the expected time back in stock is!
    I have OCD "Obsessive Crappie Disorder"

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

What kind of fishing do you do and for how long. I have a 17.5 wareagle and run a 55 12 volt Terrova wired on 2 group 27 batteries like Mr dox said. Long lining or spider rigging I van run all day. Pump it up to 1.5 pull g cranks it lasts about 5-6 yours. I pull cranks with big motor. 54 shaft is plenty long for your boat.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

I’m doing more and more crappie fishing. Love pulling planer boards. But I’m still a night time throwing jitterbug bass fisherman where I’ll need the foot pedal to sneak down the bank. Although it’s getting harder to fish all night

Post Thanks / Like

I would still purchase from BBG and buy the foot pedal separate. Shipping on that from the box stores is 75 bucks. Brian is less than 10.

Are you going to run two batteries? If so, why not go with a 24v? With your hull, a 24v pushing 1.5 will run you between 8 and 10 hours. Conversely, with a 12 volt setup and 1 battery, probably in the 3 to 4 range for trolling and that is being generous.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 16' Tracker older boat, I did all the measuring they state and went with 60" shaft. Very happy I went with 60" in rough water it is nice to lower it some and no worries. It lifts in and out no issues. Personally I hate the foot pedal and have read other threads with same issue. I took my foot pedal and put in storage. You can do it all with the remote and set a course like you stated with a set speed. Spot lock also works well, I have learned you need to be running slow and then hit your lock seems to help. I am running one battery with 80Lb thrust.

I bought mine at Scheels last year, I did not purchase the I-Pilot link.

Good luck with your purchase, you will be happy with it

Post Thanks / Like

How are you running 80# motor on 12 volts? The 80# motors only come in 24 volts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast