HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big spring crappie near Branson?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Big spring crappie near Branson?

Planning on travel from Texas to meet a friend from Minnesota in Branson. While families play we would like to book a half-day guided trip within 1-2 hours drive in March or April. Prefer size over numbers. Hoping some of you Mo. crappie fisherman might share some helpful information.

Thank you, Wes

Post Thanks / Like

I hear rumor the James River Arm can be good. Not the numbers you might expect but nice sized fish, that is the rumor.

Post Thanks / Like

hire a guide for Bull Shoals lake south of branson bigger fish there, but heck save up for next year and head South to Mississippi, big one there.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is the MDC report for Table Rock. I just don't think Missouri can compete with states further south for large Crappie as pointed out above. Is there something besides Crappie you would like to fish for?

Table Rock Lake

Associated Area(s):

Table Rock Lake (James River arm)

Annual Prospects Report

Crappie fishing should be fair in 2019 and best in the James, Kings, and Long Creek arms. Both black and white crappie are present in the lake but black crappie are more abundant. Due to inconsistent recruitment, crappie numbers are relatively low compared to other lakes in Missouri. However, quality-sized crappie are present throughout the lake. In spring 2018 electrofishing surveys, 90% of the black crappie sampled were greater than 10” and 42% were greater than 12”. The percentage of white crappie greater than 10” was 95% and 47% were greater than 12”. White crappie are more abundant further up in the river arms while black crappie comprise the majority of the population in the clearer sections of the lake. The best crappie fishing will be in the spring and fall during which small plastic jigs and minnows are very effective for catching crappie around woody structure and the numerous brush piles throughout the lake. Crappie fishing is also fair during the winter months and they can be caught fishing around deeper brush piles and under docks that extend over deep water.
    Thanks hdhntr thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wolfhnd View Post
    Here is the MDC report for Table Rock. I just don't think Missouri can compete with states further south for large Crappie as pointed out above. Is there something besides Crappie you would like to fish for?
    Take a day and drive up to Truman Lake and contact Richard Bolling, guide. He can definitely put you on big fish
    Likes DOFC, beagle man LIKED above post
    Thanks hdhntr thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

End of March, first of April- I would fishing the white bass spawn up the the river arms of table rock. The Kings or Roaring river arms would be my first choices.

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Likes wolfhnd, hdhntr LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Slip on north about an hour from Branson to Truman Lake and contact Richard Bolling, guide. He will definitely put you on big fish.
    Likes hdhntr LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Well said. I agree.
    Jim - Have boat - will travel.
    Likes beagle man LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Probably more like 2 hours from Branson to Truman. I make the drive from Springfield 2-3 times per week and that is 1.25-1.5 hours.

Easy drive though.
    Likes hdhntr LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Braggin Board View Post
    Take a day and drive up to Truman Lake and contact Richard Bolling, guide. He can definitely put you on big fish
    Will second that, King Richard will put you on lots of and big fish and is a great guy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast