HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which rod sleeves to transport 2 piece spider rods?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Which rod sleeves to transport 2 piece spider rods?

A bass friend slides his expensive bass rods into these plastic sleeves....some call em rod gloves....its a mesh thing. I thought that might be a convenient way to transport my 2 piece spider rods. Anybody do this and which ones do you recommend? I really hope to find some cheap ones.

Right now put a rubber band on the butt end and the other end and that's kind of fiddly to do and I lose the rubberbands. If possible It would be nice if the small low profile baitcasting reel I plan to use will also slide up in the rod sleeve.

There's probably something to do exacvtly what I'm asking and I just don't know about it
    Small Boat Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Oh I used the mesh sleeve, but I found some rubber cord pulls from Monks Crappie, but unfortunately he passed last year and no one has restarted his business. The mesh sleeves I found got caught on all of the eyes on the rod a real pain.
    I also fold down my two and three section rods and put them in a tod bag from Cabela's.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    dave
    in currituck

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wasabi .... I put my 3pc trolling rods in the nylon rod sleeves I got from BPS & Cabela's. I do have some rods that I use the plastic mesh type sleeves for, but I'm not real crazy about them ... None that I've seen would be big enough to cover a reel.
    My preference is the Cabela's sleeve, because it has a bungie cord, whereas the BPS ones I have come with a adjustable strap (but it's too long). Here's the Cabela's rod sleeve I'm talking about : Cabela's Online Store - Quality Hunting, Fishing, Camping and Outdoor Gear ... but, I don't see them in my local Cabela's anymore, so I don't know if they've been discontinued or simply replaced by the mesh type. Even the link doesn't show a price, so
    Thanks wasabi thanked you for this post

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I leave mine put together and rigged...I use a rod transport rack on my boat that holds 8 14 ft. poles
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

My local Academy has some nylon sleeves on clearance for .98 I purchased 25 of them and have placed all of my two piece rods in them. They are 5ft long and they handle 98% of my rods.

Post Thanks / Like

I use the mesh type rod socks to transport or store my 2 pc poles in the rod box. I got them at WalMart @ around $3.50. The concept of the rod sleeve/sock works better (for me) than rubber bands (I also tried them before the rod socks). I would like to have some made of better material as the rod guides will hang in the mesh occasionally.
    Yes, as a matter of fact, I do have a retirement plan...FISHING!

Post Thanks / Like

I use those hair do-dads that my daughter use to put her hair in a ponytail with. Got a couple plastic balls with elastic between them. They work great for holding multi piece rods together when taken apart. Can get a dozen multi colored do-dads for $2-$3.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    Likes ArkieJason LIKED above post

Ranger690 is online now Crappie.com Legend and 2021 Crappie.com Man of the Year
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm already to short to be fighting with getting sleeves on and off rods. I use the little twist-tie material from walmart or Home Depot or Lowes. It's just wire coated in rubber or foam that you can cut to length and use like a bread tie. Walmart camping aisle has a roll of it.

Post Thanks / Like

I make my own by ordering the mesh off ebay. I custom make em so I keep 8 extra 3 piece rods in the boat for trolling. The mesh is awesome, easy to make and much cheaper.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Badgerfan View Post
    I make my own by ordering the mesh off ebay. I custom make em so I keep 8 extra 3 piece rods in the boat for trolling. The mesh is awesome, easy to make and much cheaper.
    I was thinking, too, that if one could sew, they could take something as simple as an old sheet and cut out a pattern that would not only cover the rod sections, but the reel as well. Then sew a strip to the bottom as "tie strings".
    And by "old sheet" I'm not talking about the high thread count type sheets, but more like the 4pc Mainstay brand sheets that are like T-shirt cotton, that you can buy at Wally World for ~$15.00 or so. I mean, you're not trying to be 'stylin' with these rod covers, just protecting them from entanglements, dust/dirt, and keeping each of them together as one package and separate from each other when in transport.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast