Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Jon boat transom question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Jon boat transom question

I have a 10' heavy duty aluminum jon boat. On the back (transom) is a 1 1/2" thick piece of laminated plywood 12" tall and 41" at top and 35" at bottom. It weighs 12 lbs!!! This is the original transom in this 1977 dated boat. Question; I use ONLY a 55# elec. transom mounted trolling motor , do I need 12 lbs. of 1 1/2" plywood for support ? I want to reduce the weight of the boat so it's easier for me and my 10 year old daughter to move in and out of water. I planned to use a treated 2x6 board at the top to support the motor and handles then plug the bottom holes. Should cut the weight to 6-7 lbs. Any input ,opinions or advice ? Good idea or bad idea ? -Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

I had a jonboat several years ago I did the same thing to so we could pond fish and had no problems doing that, however I'am no expert on this but I'am sure you will get more feedback on this.
    Monk

Post Thanks / Like

I fabricated a mount and installed a bow mount trolling motor on mine. Works great.

Post Thanks / Like

The extra weight will actually be a benifit in windy weather.
    The weight will put more of the boat deeper in water. Just
    my .02 Comment.
    Billy Deuce

Fried Crappie.... "The real thing".

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I cut a piece of treated 2x6 to fit and weighed it.....9 1/2 lbs. Only a 2 1/2 lbs. weight save with half the wood. I just stuck the original back in; the extra support and weight is probably better in the long run anyways. :rolleyes: -Thanks