HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Rod and bait advice for a newb

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rod and bait advice for a newb

Looking for recommendations on a set up for a newbie. I'll be fishing for crappie mostly from bank or dock some boat. Currently don't have anything and need advice on what to get. Thanks!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

IMO chartreuse twister tail , black and chartreuse twister tail. 1/16 oz jigs. Aberdeen hooks and minnows. 6lb test line high viz. Slip floats for live bait. I prefer a pink backed straight tailed jig body or black back with silver belly. A cheap minnow bucket will last a long time if you take care of it. A few small split shot. Go fishing.
    Thanks LoopScootNBoogi thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

7' light fast action rod with 1000 series spinning reel of choice loaded with 4lb hiviz mono. An assortment of 1/16oz jigheads and shad bodies and several properly sized floats and slip bobbers. Keep it simple and figure out what your liking and build from there.
    Likes Crestliner08 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

BPS is having their Crappie Madness scheduled for Feb 1,2,8 and 9. At least it is scheduled for the BPS in Concord, NC. Not sure about other locations. Usually at this time they have a lot of crappie gear on sale. You might want to check it out.
    Likes SuperDave336 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger R61 View Post
    BPS is having their Crappie Madness scheduled for Feb 1,2,8 and 9. At least it is scheduled for the BPS in Concord, NC. Not sure about other locations. Usually at this time they have a lot of crappie gear on sale. You might want to check it out.
    That's awesome I'll definitely be checking that out!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by huntinslabs View Post
    7' light fast action rod with 1000 series spinning reel of choice loaded with 4lb hiviz mono. An assortment of 1/16oz jigheads and shad bodies and several properly sized floats and slip bobbers. Keep it simple and figure out what your liking and build from there.
    X2

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

One of my favorites is a Pflueger president on a 7' medium lightning rod. Sub-100$ combo that is great for crappie and other species as well. Shakespeare micro graphite is another great rod that is worth every penny, and you won't be too sore if it gets slammed in the tailgate. 4lb high viz mono for line, Vicious, Crappie Maxx, and Mr. Crappie are pretty popular.

There are several different avenues for baits and fishing styles, I like to keep things simple with a 1/16 oz weedless jig and a shad body soft plastic in natural colors. Either cast with a slow retrieve/pendulum action, or vertical cast. In shallow water I will downsize to a 1/32oz.

Post Thanks / Like

First off, WELCOME aboard! You've found the best source of crappie fishing information there is!

What "huntinslabs" (above) gave you was some very sound advice. I'd also recommend that you send for a copy of Grizzly Jig Company's catalog. Just about everything/anything you'd ever really need can be purchased there. Very reliable company with a great reputation. Good folks to talk with on the phone too!

Keep reading here and gleaning the vast knowledge available. Take it one step at a time. Ask questions. You'll do just fine in no time.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

to Crappie.com

You will also want to check with the members of the NC & Va forums that fish High Rock Lake ... not only for advice on start-up equipment, but also potential "go with me" invites and participation in their local Crappie.com get together events. Many of those events will have products donated by members, sponsors, and commercial entities that are given away in raffles to attending members/guests.

But, for sure, keep asking questions here on the Main Forum, as you may not be the only one with that question ... and other members can learn from your questions & their follow-up replies. You might also want to check out the Newbie Forum & read through some of the threads of interest on there.

The reference by Atimm693 to "vertical cast" may be of interest to you if fishing from a dock or boat ... and is referring to an article I wrote : Crappie Pappy Article