Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hi Vis or Low Vis Line What Do You Use

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hi Vis or Low Vis Line What Do You Use

I began fishing Hi Vis fishing line when it first came out back in the 80's. I now use Wally Marshall's Hi Vis Chartreuse Line. I am a tightline fisherman over mats almost enitrely. I catch many a fish by watching my line on those days that the bite is very light. I see the fish pick the bait up and my line goes slack. A lot of fisherman just can't understand my thinking until they go with me and watch me catch fish and they don't seem to ge a bite. I fish a 10 lb. test and I watch it diligently. I can't be convinced that fish see the line and think anything of it. Sometimes I catch fish that bump into my line and my reflex is so fast that I actually snag them in the side. This happens almost every time that I go. I am sold on it. What about some of you other slab hunters?

Post Thanks / Like

I use the same line as you. The only reason I started using it is because I was fed up with everything else out there, and my uncle said he uses it, and loves it. So I ordered a spool of it, and plan on using nothing else for crappie. Its not really the visibility issue with me. I troll 75% of the time. I just love it because its a great line, at an even better price!

backtocrappie is offline Moderator OT Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have tried just about eveything ever made. My experience with a visible line cost me a BIG bass once. I was fishing with spiderwire one day, and next to the bank where I was standing a BIG LMB rose up off the bottom to inspect my treat for him. He looked directly at the line, and I could see his eyes trace back and forth along the line several times then decended back down gone forever.

So then I put some very expensive Orvis flourocarbon leader on and started slaughtering them, but the combination was very expensive and time comsuming to keep in order. Then I went back to Stren after years of everything else. The only line I use now is Stren lo-vis green. Best all around multypurpose line I have found.
    "We're going to take things away from you on behalf of the common good"
    Sen. Hillary Clinton - Speech at Democratic Fundraiser, June 2004

Post Thanks / Like

I tried the high vis line last year, and was real successful until I went to a lake with real clear water. I fished that day unsuccessfully until I switched to clear line. I'm not sure that that made "that" big of a difference, but I wound up going back to low vis / clear line. It could be a number of other things, negative mood, etc.,, but I switched back. My success with high vis line came on my lake that has really stained water, & I do a lot of tightlining w/ jigpoles in 2-3ft. of water. I think stain on a lake/river really helps with it. just my opinion..., you know what they say about opinions????
    Last edited by randybenham; 04-09-2007 at 08:29 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I have to agree with Wooly Booger.I have cuaght a lot of fish just by watchin my line.Never felt them but i saw them take my jig.I use Hi-Vis Wally Marshal:D

Post Thanks / Like

Just put hi-vis line on all my reels within the last few months and love it. No more eye strain trying to find my line.

2010 NWR Bash Crappie Division Champion

Post Thanks / Like

Hi-Vis Wally and Stren Gold. I think pound for pound, Wally's line is a little stronger, but I seem to be able to see the Stren better. Out here in West Texas the water's stained enough that it doesn't require clear line.
    Future member of any forum deathb4disco moderates.

Member of Wally Marshall's Mr. Crappie Pro Staff

Crappie Xtreme is offline Moderator Illinois Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I fish high vis Stren 10 lb test in the buck brush so I can see it. I love it makes it a lot easier to see. But when I fish deep water I fish with Fireline Smoke. Not because I think the fish can see but because I can feel the bite a lot better, it is very sensitive small diameter and very strong . I don't think the fish see the line either. If that were the case I don't think people who use the high vis line would catch fish.

Crappie X.
    IL board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

You guys watching the line more than the rod? Is that the best way to go?
    I'm very new to the crappie game, matter of fact, I'm in the process of outfitting my crappie boat! Long and expensive task.
    G3PO

Crappie Xtreme is offline Moderator Illinois Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey Brett. I watch the line when I fish in the bushes with a slip bobber and a minnow. You have to use a long crappie pole and drop the line over the top of the bush into the middle and it makes it easier to see especially if the wind is blowing the line around. Thats why I use it and it is also good string.

Crappie X.
    IL board Moderator

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast