Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yet another Rod Recommendations

Post Thanks / Like

Default Yet another Rod Recommendations

Hello All
    First time poster but along time reader. Got a question for yall concerning rods, which there is a million of.

Im looking for a rod recommendation that will be for casting roughly 1/16 size jigs. Now with that said, im not looking at just your flimsy rubber band rods. Im looking for something that has a little stiffness to it but can handle 1/16 heads. What do you all recommend?

The reason im asking is cause i need a few spares for my boat i just purchased. I went on on crappie trip several months back and i bought myself a nice Shimano Zodias (ZOD268L) paired with a C14 and i absolutely fell in love with it. Unfortunately the rod was $180 and after ive already spent enough money on the boat, im looking for something a little cheaper. Any help with this will be greatly appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

And my local Bass Pro/Cabelas, it might take me fifteen minutes to find fifty rods that would work for you.

What’s your budget? What length do you prefer?

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry About that, meant to put rod length in there.

7fter preferably

Unfortunately my Bass Pro is catered to the saltwater crowd.

Post Thanks / Like

Wally Marshall 7 ft pro series rod they are white around 50.00 best I’ve used was a Sam heatan rod fan but like these best

Sent from my iPad using Crappie.com

Post Thanks / Like

Just a suggestion, go on Ebay and spinning rods section.
    Enter the name Okuma, then check the "Celilo" models.
    Ive got 4 of them in the ultra lite models from 6' to 8'6".
    They are very well finished, and nicer in my opinion than others I have like Fenwick at about half the cost.
    The Fenwick ultra lite is a very whippy rod in my opinion, whereas these are a tad stiffer in the bottom section.
    The 8'6" has become my favorite jigging rod, other than my longer 10' Sam Heaton.
    I like the 7' better than the 7' Sam Heaton, mainly due to the handle.

Post Thanks / Like

I hate a whippy rod also. I have a couple of Okuma Celilo 7ft medium light rods and they are some good rods. I purchased mines off EBay four years ago and they have held up well. Depending on the manufactor I like a med-light or light action rod with a solid back bone and a fast tip. A light action Eagle Claw Powerlight (the rod Richard Gene uses) is also a good affordable rod if you can find one.

Post Thanks / Like

I am going to say check out the Leland Lures (the guys that make the trout magnet UL jigs) and they carry a rod called the Trout Slayer.

It is 6'6" and exactly what you are looking for, a ul rod, weighs in at a little over 2.5 oz. with a x fast tip and has a fair amount of backbone and the rod is designed for casting and fishing the small Trout Magnet jigs and baits.

I bought one last year and liked it so much I ordered a second one and the rods are only 49.95.

Personally I think it is hard to beat this rod at this price point for a rod designed to cast and worK very small UL jigs.

I included a link to a video of a review on the rod done by Alphahawk who is a good source for information for those serious about UL gear.

YouTube

Post Thanks / Like

Wonder how that compares to the Daiwa Presso rod? Seems to be a better buy.

Post Thanks / Like

Did Okuma stop selling the Celilo? I typed it into their website and the rods didn't come up. Ebay has several though, just looking up the specs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SuperDave336 View Post
    Wonder how that compares to the Daiwa Presso rod? Seems to be a better buy.
    USA Daiwa Presso UL rods are very soft. I ordered one several years back...thinking maybe it was similar in action to the Japanese Daiwa Presso rods. Well when it came and I unboxed it I called my son and told him I had a new rod for him and to come and get it....LOL. It was like a buggy whip and I had been fishing JDM UL rods for about a year and I didn’t even try the rod out. It is a very pretty rod...seemed to be well made.....but I gave up on USA market UL rods as they are all like buggy whips. The only exception I ever found were the ESP rods which have actions very similar to JDM UL rods.....and the Trout Slayer Rods from Leland’s Lures...Trout Magnet. The Trout Slayer has an extremely high graphite content and casts like a dream.....very sensitive. As many know all I fish now is JDM UL rods which are in another league. Very soon I will be giving away a Trout Slayer Rod and a Sore Lip Series Rod on my YouTube channel.....as soon as I figure out just how to give something away on YouTube.

Regards

Sent from my iPad using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast