HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Humbled!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Humbled!

I come to this site for entertainment and to learn. I have been crappie fishing for a few years now, and I have a serious addiction! I enjoy just being on the water (you know, that story you try to make yourself believe when you ain’t catching?). I do pretty well in three seasons, but winter has me beat down. We went yesterday evening. Hardly any wind, fairly muddy 47-49 degree water. My electronics showed baitfish, sometimes so thick they showed as the bottom. Birds were diving like crazy. I saw fish, but I’m not good enough at interpreting to say they were crappie. These are the things we are told to look for. Right? This was in a creek. The huge schools of baitfish were in the 17-20 FOW area. The birds were diving in the 8-12 FOW area. We caught.....absolutely nothing! Air temps were low 50’s, full moon approaching, falling barometer, fishing app shows we were at a minor feeding time (which I interpret as second best to major feeding time). We load up assuming the dirty water, etc. just had them shut down.
    We got everything secured for the “drive of shame” home, and a guy is getting in his truck to load his boat. Having never met a stranger, I asked about his day. His reply was that it wasn’t great, but they had 18 keeper crappie. We talked further, and he had caught them in 8 FOW (remember the birds?), and they were using jigs.
    This scenario has played out in similar fashion over my last couple of trips......me not getting a bite, when obviously others are catching. I’m always trying to improve, so I’m not too proud to share my failings in order to learn. This happened last winter as well. Any and all advice is welcome and appreciated!

Sent from my iPad using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.
    Likes S10CHEVY LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Default Humbled!

This can be common during cooler months when the bite is so soft you may never know you had a bite.
    Another thing I saw recently was the only fish that would bite were the ones in 28 ft of water. ( caught right on bottom)
    We located plenty of fish deeper and some shallower.

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com
    Thanks ET Fish thanked you for this post

kycreek is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I think everybody has been there at one time or another including myself. Not sure where or what kind of water you are fishing. But in my territory (Ohio river tribs) the creeks are extremely clear in the winter unless we have rain (Like right now as we are speaking). I do know they won't be in that clear water. The clearer water will push them back towards the river. The mouths of the creeks never get as clear as farther upstream. This time of year in this area we catch them closer to the river and around that 8-10 ft of water mark. It really cuts down on the territory you will fish successfully. As for me I haven't had the boat out since the last of December. I'm stuck in Sauger mode now fishing from the bank below the local dam during the evening.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kycreek View Post
    I think everybody has been there at one time or another including myself. Not sure where or what kind of water you are fishing. But in my territory (Ohio river tribs) the creeks are extremely clear in the winter unless we have rain (Like right now as we are speaking). I do know they won't be in that clear water. The clearer water will push them back towards the river. The mouths of the creeks never get as clear as farther upstream. This time of year in this area we catch them closer to the river and around that 8-10 ft of water mark. It really cuts down on the territory you will fish successfully. As for me I haven't had the boat out since the last of December. I'm stuck in Sauger mode now fishing from the bank below the local dam during the evening.
    More detail. This lake is never”clear”, but it is more stained than normal now. Kind of a coffee with cream. It is a reservoir on the TN River, and the main channel had a lot of current yesterday. After checking out the main channel, we retreated to the creek because of the current. Very few boats were out, but at least three were fishing in that 8’ range, and I assume they were crappie fishing.
    Likes kycreek LIKED above post

Hat55 is offline Crappie Wall Hanger II * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

What is the answer in dealing with lite bits? Rod, line, bobber, jig wt. ??? thanks
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

stormcloud is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hat55 View Post
    What is the answer in dealing with lite bits? Rod, line, bobber, jig wt. ??? thanks
    Lite bite equals full concentration on your rod tips and line. It may be a slight slow movement of your line or it may be a slight tick of the rod tip. The first tick
    he took your bait in, the second is when he spit it back out. The colder the water is the slower there's notable movement of the pole unless he hooks himself.
    Tell'em I'll be there.
    Likes trypman1 LIKED above post
    Thanks Hat55, ET Fish thanked you for this post

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hat55 View Post
    Depends on how you're fishing, but any or all of those things can play into lite bite detection.

Rod - sensitivity
    Line - limp mono, braid, or hi-vis line
    Bobber - watch for it to raise up or fall over (lift bites) or twitch sideways or pull under very slightly
    Jig weight - lighter weight or smaller jig might temp the fish more .... but a heavier/larger jig can also work by keeping the line taught against the rod tip, creating more sensitivity in the rod

Other than the "bobber" answer .... all the others are answered with "casting" in mind.
    Thanks Hat55, ET Fish thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I feel your pain. I haven't caught a crappie since the water dropped into the 70s. As soon as the water cooled all my crappie that were piled up in 25ish feet of water disappeared. I haven't seen a school of Crappie since. The Bass fishing has been good but the white perch have been almost impossible to catch as well. I've been putting out brush and hoping for summer.

Post Thanks / Like

I fish downstream in Chickamauga on the TN River as well. My father in law, who catches crappie all year...year after year, says in winter time with the colder water temps. to slow down your retrieve or trolling speed or lure presentation as much as you can and then slow down some more. When I do I start catching like him. He is in his 70's and knows more about crappie fishing than most based on his results in the boat.

I hope you have good luck the next time you go and you can put some of those elusive winter slabs in your boat using the info members post.
    Likes stormcloud, kycreek LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JayW View Post
    I fish downstream in Chickamauga on the TN River as well. My father in law, who catches crappie all year...year after year, says in winter time with the colder water temps. to slow down your retrieve or trolling speed or lure presentation as much as you can and then slow down some more. When I do I start catching like him. He is in his 70's and knows more about crappie fishing than most based on his results in the boat.

I hope you have good luck the next time you go and you can put some of those elusive winter slabs in your boat using the info members post.
    Thanks! You sometimes know you’re doomed before you start. Had the wife finish backing the trailer in, as per our usual routine. I noticed we weren’t floating when we should, and heard the tailpipes bubbling from being underwater! Yelled for her to pull up, so I could get out and unhook the winch strap. Backed in again, and still no float, but plenty of bubbling! Yelled to pull out again, and got off and unhooked BOTH stern straps! Took our Yorkie along for her pleasure. She fell off the bow into the 47 degree water! From all indications, it would appear that I had never been in a boat, let alone fished! I have a mental checklist for hooking up, launching, and loading. Done em all 100’s of times. Dunno where my head was, but I did check behind my back pocket!
    Likes kycreek, S10CHEVY, Kowtown LIKED above post

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast