Original Message-----
To: [email protected]
Subject: Patoka Lake

Dan I was sitting hear this morning wondering what plans the state has for Patoka in the coming years. Do you think they'll ever consider a size limit for crappie at Patoka? Many have asked me this question and I tell them I don't have any idea. There must be a million crappie in that lake 6' to 8' in size. I've found out over the last 5 years to fish much deeper cover away from where everyone else likes to fish. I catch much bigger fish on the average and have them all to myself most of the time. Bass seems to be doing great. In the area you cover in your district what other lakes or rivers would you recomend for crappie?

Thanks for any replys you may send my way.

[email protected]

Larry,
There is no size limit planned for crappie at Patoka. Currently the crappie population is comprised of slow growing fish. If a minimum size limit was established it would slow growth even further which would also increase the numbers of small crappie in the lake. What is needed is a couple of poor year classes. Crappie populations typically are very cyclic, but they have had very good recruitment the last four year classes. The link below is the 2003 Patoka Lake Fish Management Report.

http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/publi...otes/notes.htm

Other lakes to try are Hovey Lake (Posey County), Dogwood Lake (Glendale FWA), West Boggs (Daviess County). If you have access to oxbows along the Patoka, White, or Wabash Rivers they can have excellent crappie fishing.
Dan

Now the thing that caught my eyes was Oxbow lakes. My dad and I fished some along the white river west of washington many years ago. I've read where Dan has mentioned oxbows along the Patoka River before. The area he is talking about is from the Dam to where it runs into the white river. Now Moose we need to find those Oxbows and roads into them. My 14' flatbottom hasn't seen any action since I bought my present boat in 2000. I bought a brand new 36lb motor guide foot operated trolling motor for it in 1998 and it ain't been used probably 6 times in all those years. My flatbottom has two swivel seats I installed many years ago. Nice little boat to fish from. Used to put it in at Kings bridge all the time. Carried two batteries and never came close to running out of juice. I also have a very nice trailer that I fixed up for it. I get a new sticker from the state every year for both but don't use them. To use to the other boat. I was going to bring the little fella out of retirement this year anyway. Wanted to take it to Tucker Lake(Springs Valley) and Beaver Lake and maybe fish the strip pits around and east of Oakland City this year. After reading about those Oxbows I know the little fella is going to get some much needed use this year. One reason I've kept this boat it was my late grandfathers who past on to that big lake in the sky in 1978. Him and I use to fish out of it before he died. I'll never get rid of it even if I don't use it much. Moose you need to find those oxbows somehow and get directions. They need to be fished and soon.

Larry