Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boat floor material??

Post Thanks / Like

Default Boat floor material??

Forgive me if I'm posting in the wrong place.

I want to build a flat floor in my Polarkraft jon.

I was fishing at Cedar Lake and asked a guy if he had customized his boat himself and he said yes, he had used a floor made of a plastic sandwiched between two thin pieces of aluminum. strong and light.

I THINK he called it something like LUKEBOARD but I can't find anything on the 'net named anything remotely close. But other companies do make such a product but shipping a 4 X 8 sheet is ridiculous.

Has anyone used this type of stuff and anyone know where I can get it in SE Missouri or S. Illinois?

thanks,
    Joe

Post Thanks / Like

I have no ideal what you are talking about, sorry I caint help you out on that one. But if you are interested, a guy from the Louisiana board put a cypress floor in his boat, very light and very sturdy. Here is the link if you are intersted.
    http://www.crappie.com/gr8vb3/showth...t=cypress+boat
    You can't fish with a hung line!

Post Thanks / Like

Old road signs are made of aluminum and make excellent boat flooring. I've used them many times.

Post Thanks / Like

I am a sign maker and the stuff you are refering to is called alumilight, and its actually 2 pieces of .040 aluminum with a piece of rubber in it. its not all that light and very espensive. You should be able to get it at any local sign shop

Stink

pm me if i can be of any further assistance
    Stinkies Daddy

Post Thanks / Like

Have a Rhyan Craft 14' and a Smoker Craft 12' put floor in to keep it quiet, used styro foam insulation in the very bottom and used 11/32 plywood and covered with outdoor carpet. Works good and is quiet.

Post Thanks / Like

my boat has sheets of stryofoam inserted between the braces and then thin sheetmetal(aluminum?) attached to the brackets, with outdoor carpet on it. It is great! the foam helps make the boat even more stable and helps it draft in very, very shallow water. even when there is 3 people in the boat it hardly shifts from side to side. Very stable

Post Thanks / Like

i put a floor in my sea ark made of 1/8th in aluminum, then covered it with a nonslip rubber mat. works great.
    listen with your eyes---its the only way to beleive what you hear...

Post Thanks / Like

I used to do the foam + plywood until I about sunk a boat. I bought an old Jon that had this set up and got caught out in a storm. I always wondered why that boat rode low in the water than my other boat of the same model. When I decided to redo some wiring and went to pull the floor up that plywood had to weigh 200 lbs. I got to checking and even marine grade wood will in time soak up moisture but doesn't rot as quickly. Put something in that will last and doesn't add a bunch of weight. Foam + Alum would be my suggestion.

Post Thanks / Like

I used the samething he is talking about it is called lukabond it is very strong about like a road sign. You will also pay for it, its not cheap around here. My buddy bought it down at calvert city, ky. If you use this you won't be sorry its a lot lighter than wood.
    can't catch'em at home

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I put aluminum 5052 (.100) in my Jon and carpeted it with thin boat carpet. I purchased panels (3x4 ft) from www.onlinemedals.com. They deal in salvage (new scrap) metals.

Got tired of replacing wood. It rots and gets heavy over time as stated before.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast