HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Auto Inflating PFD

Post Thanks / Like

Default Auto Inflating PFD

Thinking about making the switch to an auto/manual inflating PFD. I currently only wear a life vest when running the boat, then take it off to fish, but would like something I can wear all the time. Would be interested in your opinions on style/brand... some of them are super expensive and some are pretty reasonable, but is there a big difference in quality with this price range? Would want something I can get in youth sizes for my fishing buddy as well.

Thanks in advance

stormcloud is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I had 3 of those. In a year and a half, all three auto inflated in my drybox. I went back to manual.
    Tell'em I'll be there.

Post Thanks / Like

I own 2 auto/inflates never had any issues with them but I've never had to try them out either, one is the Onyx 3205 A-24 In-Sight it's about 4 years old now vary comfortable fit don't recall the name of the other one but its over ten years and I've been wondering myself about the shelf life of those cartridges... Which is the reason that I purchased the one with the In-Sight it through the small window it shows green if it detects the correct pressure or shows red if it is dis-charged.

Inflatable Life Vests: Everything You Need to Know | LifeJacketAdvisor.com

Post Thanks / Like

I wear a Mustang Elite 28 the whole time I am on the boat. As a young man I was a varsity swimmer and RC-trained lifeguard, and I am a strong swimmer to this day, but I do not mess around cold water, no. That stuff will kill you fast. So far so good with the Mustang.

Before I got the Mustang, I wore a kayak-style with pockets for fishing stuff, I forget the brand. I still use it, mostly in summer when we are fooling around running a local river for fun, not fishing.
    "Alive without breath, as cold as death; never thirsty, ever drinking, all in mail never clinking."
    Likes need2befishin LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

They have an expiration date! You have to look at them to see it! If you buy new ones, they are usually good for 3 years. I bought one two years ago and I haven't had any problems! In Aug of 2017 my fishing buddy fell out of the boat and his inflated correctly. Kept him from drowning but didn't save him from cardiac arrest!

Post Thanks / Like

Wife and I wear these. Have no complaints. Actually have had them pretty damp on exterior from spray and mist and not deployed. Couple times on way home realized they were still on. Best money spent in my opinion.

Onyx Outdoor A/M 24 Automatic/Manual Inflatable Life Jacket | Academy
    Likes Stainless, SeaRay LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

yes, there is a big difference between cheaper versions and the more expensive. Cheapest are the ones that you have to manually pull a cord to inflate them.......wouldn't do you any good if you were knocked unconscience. Next are the ones that will auto-inflate, but do so by having a "paper" disk get waterlogged. By the disk getting waterlogged it is soft enough for the penetrator to punch through to puncture the cartridge, thus inflating. These will also have a manual pull cord. The higher end models have a hydrostatic controlled inflator. The Mustang that I have has to have the hydrostatic sensor 4 inches under water before it auto-inflates. That precludes it from inflating from heavy rain or water splashing on it.
    Now....about youth models......I don't think they exist. ALL of the auto-inflators that I have seen state that they are ONLY for individual over 80 lbs. I might also add that the auto-inflators are for swimmers only. They are NOT recommeded for non-swimmers. I believe that is because there is the possibility that the mechanical device that inflates them COULD malfunction, leaving the person overboard with the responsibility of manually deploying the vest.
    Also, as has been said, they do have a shelf life. Normally it is 3 years, and at that time will need to be serviced by you. Rearming kits and individual cylinders are available for servicing. I believe the expense is worth it. I used to be one of those guys that only had my vest on while underway. Not so anymore, with the comfort of the auto-inflator I have it on from boat launch till end of day. You won't know you are wearing it.
    Thanks catchNgrease thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by t00lmanii View Post
    yes, there is a big difference between cheaper versions and the more expensive. Cheapest are the ones that you have to manually pull a cord to inflate them.......wouldn't do you any good if you were knocked unconscience. Next are the ones that will auto-inflate, but do so by having a "paper" disk get waterlogged. By the disk getting waterlogged it is soft enough for the penetrator to punch through to puncture the cartridge, thus inflating. These will also have a manual pull cord. The higher end models have a hydrostatic controlled inflator. The Mustang that I have has to have the hydrostatic sensor 4 inches under water before it auto-inflates. That precludes it from inflating from heavy rain or water splashing on it.
    Now....about youth models......I don't think they exist. ALL of the auto-inflators that I have seen state that they are ONLY for individual over 80 lbs. I might also add that the auto-inflators are for swimmers only. They are NOT recommeded for non-swimmers. I believe that is because there is the possibility that the mechanical device that inflates them COULD malfunction, leaving the person overboard with the responsibility of manually deploying the vest.
    Also, as has been said, they do have a shelf life. Normally it is 3 years, and at that time will need to be serviced by you. Rearming kits and individual cylinders are available for servicing. I believe the expense is worth it. I used to be one of those guys that only had my vest on while underway. Not so anymore, with the comfort of the auto-inflator I have it on from boat launch till end of day. You won't know you are wearing it.
    Just read before your post they are not recommended for people under 16 - so I see that it won't be for youth.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the Mustang hydrostatic ones and can wear all day, forget it is on sometimes. I picked mine up used and as above I'm due for a recharge kit now. They are well worth the money

Post Thanks / Like

Yup hydrostatic (HIT) is the way to go. The dissolve pill type (MIT) can inflate premature from moisture in storage boxes or during a rainstorm.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast