HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dispatching Crappie Humanely.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dispatching Crappie Humanely.

I often think about my helpless quarry, laying there on the cutting board. After I had so much enjoyment pursuing them and getting them in the boat. Though I catch and release 90% I too like a few in the freezer for my cravings. I knew there had to be a way for them to meet their demise humanely. Hope you all consider this when it comes time to fill your freezers...

Crappie - White | HUMANE KILLING OF FISH - FRESHWATER - ESTUARY - OFFSHORE Maximum quality, minimum fuss.
    Crappie - Black | HUMANE KILLING OF FISH - FRESHWATER - ESTUARY - OFFSHORE Maximum quality, minimum fuss.
    Bluegill | HUMANE KILLING OF FISH - FRESHWATER - ESTUARY - OFFSHORE Maximum quality, minimum fuss.
    Last edited by Mr. S; 01-15-2019 at 10:41 AM.
    'Jesus answered and said to them, “Go and tell John the things which you hear and see:
    The blind see and the lame walk; lepers are cleansed and deaf hear; dead are raised up and poor have the gospel preached to them.
    And blessed is he who is not offended because of Me... Matthew 11:4-6
    Likes wolfhnd LIKED above post
    Thanks Special K, dko, Lonnie84, cglarsen thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Most of mine go back in the lake too, but the ones I keep get put to sleep in a cooler of ice. It slows their metabolism way down and they stop trying to breathe pretty quickly.

Kinda like hunting wild turkeys; as much as I respect and admire those birds, the best way to humanely take 'em is to blow their brains out with a shotgun from fairly close range.
    They just don't sell meat that tasty in stores. The pursuit is fun and challenging too.

Jim
    Thanks Mr. S thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I use the ice method myself when I can.

I'm a farm kid so you wouldn't expect me to be squeamish about dispatching animals, Silence of the Lambs comes to mind :-) The way I see it I have the luxury of being more humane than my Dad had. I think even he would be a bit out off by modern factory farms even if he would never admit it :-)

With fish it's not so much about animal cruelty as respect for life in general. Nature may be bloody tooth and claw but I like to keep the blood to the minimum necessary. That doesn't make me a better person necessarily, after all Hitler was a vegetarian, it just means I have cultivated the appropriate level of sensitivity to disgust. To be conservative you need to conserve. Conserving nature, civility, and sensibility can't be a bad thing within limits.
    Likes GREENFISH LIKED above post

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

And to think I use to ring chickens neck and let them run around without a head and bleed out. Ima old farmboy. Not much bothers me.

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

stormcloud is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

My job is to get them to the ice chest. After that they are on their own.
    Tell'em I'll be there.
    Likes bflowers, need2befishin, GREENFISH, ad1974 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I usually cut their throat area behind where this fills attach. This bleeds the meat for a clean fillet and process. Also seems to kill em pretty quick. Cut with kitchen shear, drop in livewell 5 minutes to let em bleed, throw em on ice. Works great.

For those that have never bled them out, try it. You’ll thank me later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

They bleed out better dying by filet knife.....either way dead is dead....LOL
    Being a country fella I see them living within me....I often thank them for their lives allowing me to live....
    Likes Redge, Polarkraft LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by silentkilla View Post
    They bleed out better dying by filet knife.....either way dead is dead....LOL
    Being a country fella I see them living within me....I often thank them for their lives allowing me to live....
    No clean up the way I do it. That’s where the plus is at, not how they die.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cane Pole View Post
    And to think I use to ring chickens neck and let them run around without a head and bleed out. Ima old farmboy. Not much bothers me.

Been there done that. I figure those chickens had it pretty good so not feeling any guilt. In a way the crappie we catch out of reservoirs owe us something for giving them a nice homes as well.

Redge is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2017 Man Of The Year
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cane Pole View Post

X2!

Proud Member of Team Geezer!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast