Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Any regrets going from 14' to 16' trolling rods??

Swampseed is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Any regrets going from 14' to 16' trolling rods??

Been thinking if 16' rods can help catch few more fish if it worth extra trouble dealing with extra length. My boat is 18' and my transport rod holders are Driftmasters and really like them. The way I have them mounted about 2' of the rod tip hang past the boat transom whith 14' rods which has not been a problem because motor is couple feet past transom. If I leave my Driftmasters where they are currently mounted I would have 4' of rod hanging over transom and 2' past motor. That could be a problem?? Welcome any advice. Thanks

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I am just going to stick with my 14s.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Likes crp4570, ad1974 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I tried it with two 16 footers to. My set up is with drift master tips savers like yours. After running into them several times I gave them to a fellow member. If I had a longer boat then might stick with some longer poles. However, to be honest I’m just used to and happy with my set up now. Hope this helps buddy.
    Likes "G" LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Went from 16s to 18s several years ago and I use a rod carrier on a 17' boat and 3' or more hang over the transom.
    I like the longer poles.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    It's not the numbers or the size, it's the time spent on the water!
    Likes squirrel dog, Ttexastom LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I run (6) 16s in a 15ft Xpress with no issues. They transport just fine and I only have two sections on my rod rack. Name:  IMG_2597.jpg
Views: 865
Size:  328.8 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Stick with the 14' and lay off your trolling motor as much as possible. The extra 2' is not going to help much, but they are a pain to handle. My 2cts

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by trypman1 View Post
    Stick with the 14' and lay off your trolling motor as much as possible. The extra 2' is not going to help much, but they are a pain to handle. My 2cts
    I live on my trolling motor bc more times than not there is wind to fight lol. I had this same dilemma before I bought mine. I remember someone told me “there is a reason most all the pros use 16s” and that made a lot of sense to me so that’s what I went with. I’ve fished 14s in buddies boats and they are perfectly fine but I can’t tell a big difference in ease of handling.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 19 ft boat. I use 16ft rods. I have 3 monster rod holders down the side of the boat that i made pole storage out of. 1 1/2 pvc wedged into the bottom with slits cut into it. It holds 6 16ft rods great. Very secure and separated so no bangging around. If I could figure out how to post pictures , I would show them to you guys

Post Thanks / Like

i have an 18 foot boat and use 16ft rods. my racks are tipsavers as well but i use three instead of just two. my rods hang off about 3ft. what i do is take one of the small gear gripper bungies and sinch the tips togather. they don't flop this way. i put my rear tipsaver as far to the back of the boat as i could get it.

Post Thanks / Like

Scott
    The 14 footers will be better for your Dad They handle fish better they are lighter and more compact.
    I fish both most of the time 6 -14’s and 2 16’s this enables me to cover about 4 more feet of water . When fishing customers I fish 14 ‘s. When I tournament fish I fish all 16’s.

Sent from my iPad using Crappie.com
    Likes Cray, Rees Guide LIKED above post

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast