Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Rod Holders

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rod Holders

I just got 2 of the Driftmaster T-bar set ups that hold 4 rod holders each. This is my first time with Driftmaster and I'm impressed with the Quality. If you other guys are thinking about them put some thought into the right/ left thread thing as this would be a problem if you wanted some holders on both sides of the boat.

Anyway,the base that actually attaches to the boat is round with 3 holes to accept screws that are provided to screw into the boat. I got to thinking that there will be a lot of pressure on those 3 screws, especially since they are so close together. I traced the outline of the gunnels on my boat and had my friend fab. 2 "U" shaped channels of 1/8" stainless steel. Each channel is 3 ft. long. I plan to thru-bolt the base to the channel and then fasten the whole thing to the boat with several screws through each of the vertical legs of the channels. I hope that this will distribute the load evenly.

If all goes as planned I will be able to fish 8 poles at once without ever having to move to tend them. I'm thinking of using 10',12'14',and 16' poles on each side with the shortest forward, that way I can lead a hooked fish forward and to the boat without it getting into the other poles.

Any comments on my scheme? Hopefully I'll be able to let you know how it works after this weekend.

Bill H., Are you gonna try it this weekend?

-Brad Baker
    Father of 4 time bash winner. At least I'm pretty sure:o

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I sure hope so but don't know where yet.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

I Have Three Of Them,2 On The Back And One In The Front.the Way I Have Mind Set-up Is The One In The Front 2 14fts In Front,2 12s On The Side And Then On The Side Of The Boat I Have 2 10fts One On Each Side And In The Back Of The Boat I Have 8 10fts That Make A Half Moon.the 2 On The Side Are Single Holders.all Of My Holders Are The Flat Liners.
    If I Am Drafting Corks I Use The Back Holders So I Can Cover More Water And If I Am In The Creek Channel I Use The Front Holders And Over Brush I Use All Of Them So I Can Cover Front And Back Of The Brush Pile.are You Still Coming To Kerr In The Spring Let Me Know I Would Like To Get Hooked Up With You And Do Some Slabing Out On The Main Lake In The Cuts.
    Dave
    Boydton,VA

Post Thanks / Like

If you are flat lining with the holders along each side of the boat, you may have fewer tangles if you put the longest rods forward. It should not matter much if you are vertical jigging or strolling.

I use 14' up front, 9' front center, 6' aft center, and 5.5' pointed aft from the stern. I can cover a 34' swath by trolling this way.
    Keith
    2008 NWR Bash Crappie Champion
    2010 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion
    2010 Buggs Bash Smallest Crappie Award

Post Thanks / Like

Hry guys, thanks for the feed back. Iwill keep them in mind while fine tuning my set up.
    Dave, I am definitely coming your way this spring and want to fish with you at least 1 day. I know it's early but do you have a prime time in mind? Let me know. - Brad Baker
    Father of 4 time bash winner. At least I'm pretty sure:o