Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rod advice

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rod advice

I’ve been trolling for for two years now and have been using 14ft Capps and Coleman trolling rods. I love the sensitivity of the rods and feel I catch a lot of fish that I wouldn’t with a stiffer rod. The only issue I have is these poles seem to lack backbone when lifting fish out of the water especially when fishing deeper depths. I was just wondering if there was a rod out there with the same sensitivity but with more backbone for lifting fish.

Post Thanks / Like

Time for a net, jmo.
    Likes skeetbum LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I’ve got one. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Home | ProAngler Tackle check them out great feel and fantastic back bone. I have 6 and I have caught a 32lb flathead with it and I was amazed the back bone it had.
    Likes tb27688, Stainless LIKED above post

Swampseed is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I bought PST's and extra tips that are Capps n Coleman tips. If I'm pushing under 1oz I put on the C&C tips and over the PST tips. So even with C&C tips 2/3 of the rod the backbone is PST's and swinging fish is no problem. Almost like having 2 rods in one.
    Likes "G", tb27688 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Denali's are pretty good as well, you get the sensitivity and backbone you need. I don't even consider reaching for a net on anything less then 2 lbs.
    Likes trypman1, tb27688 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I swing in fish with 12' poles, With my 14 & 16' I net or grab line close to boat. You might lose one every once and awhile, but unless you are tourniment fishing who really cares.
    Likes "G", tb27688 LIKED above post

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tb27688 View Post
    I’ve been trolling for for two years now and have been using 14ft Capps and Coleman trolling rods. I love the sensitivity of the rods and feel I catch a lot of fish that I wouldn’t with a stiffer rod. The only issue I have is these poles seem to lack backbone when lifting fish out of the water especially when fishing deeper depths. I was just wondering if there was a rod out there with the same sensitivity but with more backbone for lifting fish.
    Some questions :

How much (if any) weight are you using ??
    Which "trolling" method are you using ??
    What size fish are you catching ??
    What does the depth the fish are in have to do with lifting them out of the water ??

I have a couple of C/C 14' rods that I Push jigs/cranks with, and a PST, and the biggest difference (to me) is the C/C rods are a little more limber and bend farther under the same amount of weight.

Also, bare in mind that the C/C rods are primarily a Spider Rigging rod, hence the more limber action (to show lighter bites).
    Likes tb27688 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I use the 14 ft capps and colemans up here in PA for spiderigging and your right they are a limber rod.I for sure use a net on anything with any size to it with those poles and I imagine down in Mississippi your catching some pretty big fish.Even though they are limber I really like the action on them,I can really see the bite and I think the give in them keeps the fish on just a bit longer then a stiffer pole where they feel that resistance.I don't know if maybe the 14ft BGJPs might have a bit more backbone and still have the limber tip?I have used the Prostaff rods and although you do have more than enough backbone to haul big ones in,I didn't like the action near as much as my C&C rods for spiderrigging.
    Likes skeetbum, tb27688 LIKED above post

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I been using C&C 14 ft rods for 8 or 9 years now....never use a net and never have broke a tip. I use low profile bait casters with thumb bars. When I get the fish up near the boat reeled up short....I hit the thumb bar to let line ( about 12 ft of line from tip to fish ) out some as I bring the the rod up verticle....I then push the rod straight up and swing the fish in. The rod will noodle around some but I got used to that. This way the rod is pushing the fish up instead of the whole length of the rod trying to lift it up in a position other than vertical. I learned this from one of the better guides on Sardis. He uses 14 ft. C&CS for his clients and likes these rods and I do too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Likes Andrew_poco, tb27688 LIKED above post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast