Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tying a leader to nano

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tying a leader to nano

Any of you guys attempt to tie an FG knot with 3# nanofil to a flourocarbon leader? Ive watched video after video and cant get it right. That nano is some aggravating stuff!!

Post Thanks / Like

I have not used nanofil but know that with Powerpro superslick I have to double the braid on many knots. The FG so far has not required this, might be worth a shot with the nanofill.

Post Thanks / Like

Precisely the reason I do not use it any more. I used 2# test nanofil on a couple of my rigs back 2 years ago. Ended up taking the stuff off and replacing it with my tried & true Fireline Crystal in 2# test. I can cast just as far with this line as with nanofil, without all the head aches. And I've yet to have a knot fail on me.

I've been tying knots now for about 60 years. NEVER have I had as much difficulty tying a leader (or jig) to any line I've ever used - and I've used a LOT of different lines. Not only that, but when you "feel" you've done everything right with tying that knot with nanofil, it fails! No thanks!
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

I can’t tie an FG knot....too arthritic hands and fumble fingers. I fished NanoFil for 18 months straight when it first came out.....2# test. At that time I fished 5 days a week. I used at the time a 3 turn surgeons knot.....now I use a 5 turn surgeons....to tie my FC leader. I had no trouble whatsoever. I caught tons of smallmouth....many 21 inches......never any problems with that knot. The only trouble I had was with the NanoFil rubbing against rocks.....I was fishing Center Hill Lake......which is nothing but rock. So to solve that issue I started using a 4 foot section of FC leader vs the 18 inch leader I started out initially. I’ve tested the 3 and 5 turn surgeons knot on my new toy.....Bouz Drag Checker.....LOL. It allows me to test line strength...knots....and even weigh fish up to 2.2 pounds. Using the surgeons knot my line breaks at the rated strength....which tells me the knot is good. Good luck with the FG knot...it is a great knot....I just can’t tie it. When using small diameter lines all those leader knots become more difficult to tie.

Regards

Sent from my iPad using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Likes trypman1 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys! Ive found a few tool on the interwebs that help woth the FG knot. Holds the line tight while you make it. Also have saw a bobbin type deal that looks neat but really dont know how it would do on fine lines. Im gonna look up that surgeons knot also. My problem is it ALWAYS breaks at the knot. Ive been using a double uni know and gotta do some changes!

Post Thanks / Like

Double Albright works pretty good.

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mudskiff View Post
    Any of you guys attempt to tie an FG knot with 3# nanofil to a flourocarbon leader? Ive watched video after video and cant get it right. That nano is some aggravating stuff!!
    Sure is. I gave up trying. I bought some micro size swivels and tie both lines to them. I only use nano when I’m fishing very deep water on Lake Erie for perch tho. 40 to 65 feet deep.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chaunc View Post
    Sure is. I gave up trying. I bought some micro size swivels and tie both lines to them. I only use nano when I’m fishing very deep water on Lake Erie for perch tho. 40 to 65 feet deep.
    I had to do the same thing. I just had Arthritis wornout thumb joint replacement surgery on right hand and will have to have left hand done also.
    Tying fishing lines was a chore and the small swivels helped.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    It's not the numbers or the size, it's the time spent on the water!
    Likes chaunc LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I've only used Nanofil for distance dock shooting and always tied to jig with no leader.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    It's not the numbers or the size, it's the time spent on the water!

Post Thanks / Like

I have bought some powerpro braid. I may use the nano for non leader applications and the braid for when i need a leader. Ive never used one till a few years ago and saw where they work when a buddy striped my butt on a bream bed. Clear water, 3-4’ deep they would bite his jig, they would swim up to mine and turn away. Same jigs too
    Likes Herewego LIKED above post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast