Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lure switching

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lure switching

I know this question is 100% personal preference but I’m just looking to get some opinions and see what everyone else does in this situation.
    So, you pull up to a spot you have caught crappie in before, you start casting or dropping your favorite jig, but you aren’t catching crappie. How long do you wait until you switch colors or styles of baits? And what justifies what you switch to? A lot of times I find myself second guessing my choices when I get home. Was I stubborn and stuck with the same jig too long? Did I not give a certified jig enough of a chance? What if I was using he right type of jig, but the wrong color.

I have so many different colors of jig in my box I find myself constantly switching and maybe not giving the right combos a chance. I will switch from a baby shad, to a curly tail, to a roadrunner, to a joker, all in different colors and never get a bite... does that mean there are no crappie in the area, or have I just not found the right combo they are looking for?

1) how long will you try a jig before switching?
    2) how often do you switch colors of jig?
    3) how do you decide wether you will try a different color of the same jig or different type of jig next?

Again, I know it’s personal preference and feel for the situation. I’m just curious how everyone else handles it.

Thanks everyone
    Jesse

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com

Post Thanks / Like

I usually rely on my fish finder and I will have 6 or 7 rods rigged up with different jigs. If no hits in an hour or 2 I will try different spots and may return later and try again. If still no hits I may try for a different species. Later watch Richard Gene videos, get educated and inspired!Lure switchingLure switchingLure switching

Sent from my SM-J337P using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Likes chaunc LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I’m overwhelmed and just cry....

My thing is its called fishing and the fun part is trying to figure them out each time. If I always knew what, how and when to do something it wouldn’t be nowhere as much fun. Heck I’ve seen them go from taking a jig good to not touching it. A slight switch in size, color or even presentation and they bite again.

I usually have two rods with different jigs on to increase chances. I’ve seen times they would take anything. I’ve seen times they wouldn’t touch nothing. I just take my best guess as to what they want and then after I feel I’ve given it a decent chance switch to my next best guess. I’ve switched lures after a couple cast because I didn’t feel confident in my decision. So many variables and possibilities and trying to figure them out is what I enjoy and keeps me coming back.

Be great to see some others reply, this thread could become a good one!!!
    Likes DRFISHDUCK, skeetbum LIKED above post

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

In that situation....I change jigs often ....and I move often. I also chose my jig colors by what the water looks like dark water gets dark colors....clearer water gets lighter colors. Most of the time in the waters I fish I use 2 inch tube jigs on internal jig heads....the two colors I use the most is orange/ chartreuse and purple/ chartreuse. You just have to figure out the waters that you fish...takes lots of time on the water. And remember fishing is not always catching so dont get discouraged if you have a bad day. Everyday fishing is fun for me....the fish are just a bonus.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

We are moving almost constantly with side pulling two rods each over the main lake basins. I'm nuts about switching things up all the time. If I'm not changing jig head weights, I'm switching plastics. Rarely do I stick with one option. That's half the fun!
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I usually start out with a lure I have complete confidence in! For me it is a two inch soft plastic stinger tail. My preferred presentation is under a slip float or long line trolling. I will switch colors as long as there is chartreuse in the lure until I determine what color works best that day due to light and water clarity. When I have fished an area and do not receive a nibble then after fifteen or so minutes I will move or change color. It is all about confidence in what you are doing and the structure you are fishing.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Likes chaunc LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Personally , it really depends on where and when I’m fishing.
    I typically run thru my proven 3-4 colors in about 15 min. Or so.
    A lot of the time I think it’s more of them finally deciding that it’s time to feed has more to do with catching than lure color

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I always scan the area I’m going to fish. I have over 200 spots marked on my gps for my home lake so I’m always in an area with marked spots. If there’s no fish in the area, changing jigs or colors won’t do any good. If I marked fish and start catching some and they slow down or even quit biting, I’ll change colors a half dozen times with my favorite colors for that lake. If no bites in the next 20 minutes, I’m scanning that spot to see for sure if they moved before I do. If they’re still there, I’m downsizing to lighter and smaller baits and adding a crappie nibble to see if I can get them going again. Usually works well for me. If not, it’s on to my next spot choice and repeat the process.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GreenLine View Post
    Personally , it really depends on where and when I’m fishing.
    I typically run thru my proven 3-4 colors in about 15 min. Or so.
    A lot of the time I think it’s more of them finally deciding that it’s time to feed has more to do with catching than lure color

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    ^^^What he said.

I fish the same waters often and have found 4-5 colors that work regularly. It usually doesn't take too long to find the right combination. Lots of times I'll go find other fish to crack the code on, then return to other proven spots. Most of the time, the pattern holds up, unless the upper end of the lake is muddy. Then I stay in similarly colored water (especially in winter). If the water is stable, uniformly colored, and fish are in the same stage, the pattern will work from one end of the lake to the other.

Jim
    Likes shipahoy41 LIKED above post

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I start with a color i’m Confident in. No action in a few minutes like they usually do when you have this on in the past, and another confidence color comes into play. I can’t say how long but i have an idea what it should be producing, and when it seems slow, i change color, style, and then size. I find myself downsizing and slowing down more than changing colors.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around
    Likes Jman5626 LIKED above post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast