HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Life happens too quickly when you don't pay attention

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Life happens too quickly when you don't pay attention

I had to run to my knee Doctor this morning for my 3 month check-up on my replaced right knee. The trip to Murray, 18 miles away. was uneventful until I tried to park my F-150 into a parking space designed for a golf cart. After several tries, I managed to get it into the space where I didn't have to climb out of a window to exit it. The Physician's Assistant (she's much better on the eyes than the surgeon) gave me a thumbs up but said I need to bear down on my knee exercises when my back surgeon starts me onto physical therapy, hopefully on Thursday.

As I left Murray on Hwy 641, I finished listening to Dan Bongino's podcast from Monday, pretty much zoned out to anything happening around me in the 65mph speed zone. As I approached a major intersection that has warning lights to let you know the light will be changing (about 200 yards away), I realized something was amiss as I saw what looked like dust. My mind told me as wet as it has been, there was no way it could be dust. It was then that I realized the stop lights were not working at all. All of a sudden, as I stopped because there were people running from stopped cars, I saw a mangled SUV and debris all over both lanes ahead of me. An 18 wheeler truck was flipped over about 75 yards up the road at about a 120 degree angle back toward the direction it had come from. The truck was on the right shoulder and the traffic lanes were covered in dried grass and gravel as well as mud. I pulled my truck onto a raised median area to my left and jumped (as well as I can with a new knee and back brace) out, heading across the road toward the truck cab. A couple of other drivers were quicker than me and assisted the driver as he crawled out of the wreckage. As I looked back toward the SUV, people were pulling the doors open and all I could see were airbags. From the looks of the wreckage, I didn't care to see anymore. It had been hit so hard it took out the box that controls the traffic signals and then spun back almost onto the road. Folks were starting to get the pieces of the tractor out of the road and I figured I was not a true witness and would just be in the way, so I headed toward Benton. I went 3-4 miles before I saw the first blue lights of a Sheriff Dept car. It was then followed by several more LEOs plus 3 ambulances. The number of ambulances really concerned me because I knew they were destined for the wreckage of the SUV.

As I got back almost to my shop, I realized I was bleeding all over my cupholders and console. When I went to jump out at the accident scene, I was not aware I had stuck my elbow into the cupholder in the console and peeled the skin above and below my elbow into a bloody mess( young folks can't appreciate how wonderful old skin is). Thanks to Clint who dropped by the shop and had a care kit with a large bandage in it.

After I've had a couple of hours to think about what I had seen (and not seen thankfully) the only thing I can get from it is how quickly our lives can change in ways that will forever change everything. I haven't heard what the condition of the SUV occupants are. I saw the driver walking around but he could have injuries that will show up. A split second of inattention or a bad judgement call has now created serious implications and possibly life-changing injuries that could impact those for years to come.

I have no idea who was at fault. There will be time to access blame and let the lawyers get richer off the misery of others. My concern now is having seen how quickly a catastrophic event can happen with one second of inattention or a day dream, I need to make my belated New Year's resolution to take time to pay attention to the world around me to both prevent mishaps but also to see how lucky I am that I wasn't a few seconds ahead of my pace. My prayers go out to those involved.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Prayers for those involved in this incident.

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com

Post Thanks / Like

This certainly puts my minor inconveniences into perspective.
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.
    Likes Litl_thumpr LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I totally agree that "Life Happens too Quickly -- and Especially When People Don't Pay Attention"; with the fact that I too love to listen to Dan Bongino; that older people are stricken with the curse of "Crepe Paper Skin Syndrome" and that you never know what you might run up on unexpectedly in the course of daily living that makes a man scratch his head about how fragile life is... and just how easily one's life can be traumatically impacted by the inattention of someone else. I too hope and pray that everyone involved made it through this terrible incident without the loss of life or life changing crippling injuries.

I am one however that believes that there's no such thing as an accident... but instead that every incident like this one is caused by something... and that something is usually manmade INATTENTION, DISTRACTED OR CARELESS DRIVING. Please keep us posted on whatever you may learn about the welfare of those involved.
    "Just Like Iron Sharpens Iron... So it is that One Man Sharpens Another Man." Proverbs 27:17
    Likes Retired2Fish, scrat LIKED above post
    Thanks shipahoy41 thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I had my "cut kit" in the center console of my truck because both my bride and I are "bleeders". She comes by it naturally, while I am on blood thinners because of my 4 heart attacks. While my little first aid kit would not have helped at the accident scene I am glad I had it to help Doug out.

My kit is no more than a couple of big band-aids and a tube or antiseptic ointment. The next time you are in Wal*mart grab a few bandages, some antiseptic and some alcohol wipes to stick in a zip-lock bag to keep in your car/truck to help someone else or maybe yourself.
    Clint
    Far West Kentucky
    http://www.crappie.com/crappie/signaturepics/sigpic31827_3.gif
    Old enough to know better and way too old to care!
    Thanks "G", Jman5626, "D" thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I can't say I've ever been one of the first ones at a bad wreck and do not want to. Mr Dux, you did real good to jump out and offer aid to the victims after a knee replacement and back surgery. I had both last year and a hip replacement. I doubt I could have offered much assistance for awhile. Take care of yourself and do you PT.

Post Thanks / Like

Life can change in an instant. Learned that myself with my wife. Enjoy every minute of every day or make a change that will allow. And most of all thank the Lord for every day and all the blessings he provides.
    Likes RMGeorge, Redge, kycreek, chaunc, "D" LIKED above post

Redge is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2017 Man Of The Year
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ET Fish View Post
    This certainly puts my minor inconveniences into perspective.
    X2!

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Proud Member of Team Geezer!

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

News reports say the only injury was not life threatening.

On a side note: I witnessed the wreck and took a picture of the overturned truck after I got back in my truck to leave at 10:37. Two different news reports had the wreck happening as late as 3 PM. So much for accuracy in news.

The truck driver admitted he ran the red light.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff
    Likes Clint LIKED above post
    Thanks Special K thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Great news that no one was seriously hurt. Kudos to the truck driver for admitting fault. We can never trust the news media to deliver the entire truth about anything. IMO
    Likes wannabe fisherman LIKED above post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast