HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Barometer Question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Barometer Question

I had a almost brother-N-law that swore by barometric pressure and would track the pressure daily. As I remember he did catch fish regularly. What I do not remember and what I am asking is this. Are the fish suppose to be biting on the rise or fall of the pressure? I would be interested in testing this theory.
    FISH ON

Post Thanks / Like

If that's your thing to track and pay attention to stuff like that, more power to you. I just try to never miss an opportunity to fish regardless of the weather conditions (except for rain....don't do rain anymore!). And not paying attention to things like that can make the outing more enjoyable and spontaneous.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."
    Likes Crappkid, Jamesdean, Redge, Clipper LIKED above post
    Thanks BoarBuster thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I think I have heard the fall and not above 30 . Something .......
    But to be sure I pay not much attention to the barometer most of the time ....
    High pressure does seem to make it more of a challenge I think I have heard as well .
    But I go when I can and try to make em bite no matter .
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales

Post Thanks / Like

I don't get to go as often as I would like, so when the opportunity presents it's self, my line gets wet. If I catch me some fish that's great, if all I catch is some fresh air, nd sunshine then that's great too...but I do prefer it when I do catch the feeesh...
    Proud to have served with and supported the Units I was in: 1st IDF, 9th INF, 558th USAAG (Greece), 7th Transportation Brigade, 6th MEDSOM (Korea), III Corp, 8th IDF, 3rd Armor Div.
    1980 Ebbtide Dyna-Trak 160 Evinrude 65 Triumph

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Supposedly, according to Bill Dance in one of his recent shows : Fish are more prone to feed on a slow rising or fast falling barometer.

I also remember him saying he preferred a barometric pressure a few clicks above or below 30 (as Ketchn referenced) back many, many years ago.

But, like the others have said ... I go when I can, don't monitor Barometric Pressure, and adapt my techniques/presentations to the current conditions. Sometimes I score, sometimes I don't, but usually enjoy the trip in either case.
    Likes Idunno LIKED above post
    Thanks wolfhnd thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

The only time I even think about it is when I’m not catching anything. Then, I have something to blame!!

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Likes Skippa Chippa, Redge, chulai1968, ad1974, USMA65 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I was able to go back in the archives and find an article I wrote that talks about this very subject.

https://www.crappie.com/crappie/arch...-effects-fish/
    I have OCD "Obsessive Crappie Disorder"
    Thanks wolfhnd, Slabprowler thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crestliner08 View Post
    If that's your thing to track and pay attention to stuff like that, more power to you. I just try to never miss an opportunity to fish regardless of the weather conditions (except for rain....don't do rain anymore!). And not paying attention to things like that can make the outing more enjoyable and spontaneous.

Thank You for your reply. I personally have never paid attention to any of this. I was really just curious. I once knew a guide that told me if he had clients out and happen to find out that they believed in these best time to fish tables in outdoor mags he would go to places that had few or no fish during the time that was suppose to be good and go to good spots when the fishing was not suppose to be as good.
    FISH ON

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrappiePappy View Post
    Supposedly, according to Bill Dance in one of his recent shows : Fish are more prone to feed on a slow rising or fast falling barometer.

I also remember him saying he preferred a barometric pressure a few clicks above or below 30 (as Ketchn referenced) back many, many years ago.

But, like the others have said ... I go when I can, don't monitor Barometric Pressure, and adapt my techniques/presentations to the current conditions. Sometimes I score, sometimes I don't, but usually enjoy the trip in either case.

I know what you mean about going when you can. I go as often as I am able. Love to feel the tug on the line and then do my best to get it in. The only thing I really monitor is the heat.
    FISH ON

Post Thanks / Like

Pressure affects Crappie bad. I go anyway. Remember high pressure go low, low pressure go high. My 2cts
    Likes Slabprowler, chaunc, gravelman6 LIKED above post

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast