Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Optima Batteries

Post Thanks / Like

Question Optima Batteries

OK, you guys have convinced me that I need to troll for crappie more than I have done in the past. I have seen the ads on Optima bateries. Are they worth the extra money? And, where is the best place to buy them online?
    I would bet some of you dedicate trollers could share some good information on batteries for trolling motors. :D

Post Thanks / Like

I used the Optima Batteries last year and used them hard. So far I like them but I need to use them for another 5 years to see if they are really worth the extra money. They claim that they are suppose to last twice as long as the regular wet cell lead acid batteries. Since I get about 3 years of use out of my regular batteries I should expect six years out of my new Optimas. So time will tell.

Now the second good thing about the optimas is that they take a charge much faster. I like that feature a lot. So yes in that sense they are worth the extra 40 bucks.

Not sure where you can buy them online but I got mine at the AutoZone Store. Most automobile parts stores may sell them. I know that Batteries Plus sells them also. PepBoys sells them also.

Make sure that you get the Blue Tops for Marine Use. They are suppose to be more vibration resistant.

Hopefully some day the price will come down as more conpetition occurs. That patent on the spiral cell technology won't last forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Redtick
    OK, you guys have convinced me that I need to troll for crappie more than I have done in the past. I have seen the ads on Optima bateries. Are they worth the extra money? And, where is the best place to buy them online?
    I would bet some of you dedicate trollers could share some good information on batteries for trolling motors. :D
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

Default moose

I'm real close to buying another trolling motor battery. How much did the Optima Blue cost? Did you say you bought your's at auto zone? Thanks.
    I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin' and hook up with them later.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PIGINTHEPIGPEN
    I'm real close to buying another trolling motor battery. How much did the Optima Blue cost? Did you say you bought your's at auto zone? Thanks.
    And are they really rated for marine use? (i.e. trolling or starting)
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Default Love them

I got one last yr for my trolling motor. I used it all day below the dam moving up an down the current with a 55 lbs thrust Minn Kota. Had to use the higher speeds due to current from the Dam. Got home plugged it in to the battery charger on trickle charge expecting to charger it all night and then some. It took about 4 to 5 hrs to charge to full charge. I would get another in a second. I would like one for the big motor. But can not spare the change right now.LOL
    If in doubt, cross their eyes!!

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Pat:
    I paid between 100 and 120 bucks for the two different batteries. One was a blue topped Starter battery and the other was the blue topped deep cycle. I got the smaller of the two Blue Topped Deep cycle that Optima sold last year. I wish I had gotten the more expensive one as it had more capacity.

I use the trolling motor a lot these days as I fish a lot on electric trolling motor only lakes.

I got mine at Advanced Auto Parts Store on Morgan Ave in Evansville, IN. I believe that AutoZone also sells them. I know that Pepboys sells them and Batteries Plus sells them also. I saw some batteries that use the spiralcell technology at Sam's Wholesale Club also.

www.optimabatteries.com Check out their web site as it may have a dealer list.

Quote Originally Posted by PIGINTHEPIGPEN
    Regards,

Moose1am

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

i have delco voyagers that has ben used for 5 years . i keep a spar . the old ones go in my motorhome . keep the best for cranking . i can alwayes go to truck and git another trolling battery. i have a del-fie plant here but has got hard to git a marine battery .they dont build them a lot and when they do some of my frinds forgit me . had one fellow that rented a house frome me and would git the big deep cyckle for 15.00. they are limited to the amount they can git in a year .i got one the other day for a little job i did that would have cost 35.00 .
    retired and now i will always fish

Post Thanks / Like

Default Optima Battery data sheet

Test Image
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

Don't know about optima batteries. Batteries are not the only link in the chain.
    Select any reputable battery manuf.. How many amps does your trolling motor pull at a certain speed? At that speed how long do the battery specs. say you should be able to run? The battery with the best answer wins. Second link is the charger. Several years ago there were numerous articles about on board chargers not charging back to full charge. Every time a battery was charged, a little capacity was lost. Over several years from 1/4 to 1/2 of capacuty was gone. I don't think that is true of regular chargers, but in any case make sure your batteries are being charged back to full charge. If you don't have that capabilty, your local mechanic or perhaps your local auto parts store can preform that test on a periodic basis.
    Keep all connections clean and tite ond if water can be added, make sure they remain full.

Post Thanks / Like

I troll a great deal of the time and went the inexpensive route - Two group 29 deep cycle Everstart batteries from Wall-Mart bought in 2003. They have 125 AH capacity and cost $65 each. So far, they are working great. I can run wide open for several hours and not drain them past the recommended level. Trolling all day hardly requires any charging when I get home. However, I did purchase a Guest 2620 dual bank dual bank charger that has the bulk, absorbtion, and float charging cycles.

Two of the keys to longer battery life are proper charging and not draining it to exhaustion. Here is a FAQ that will help explain everything:

http://www.windsun.com/Batteries/Bat...ery%20Charging
    Keith
    2008 NWR Bash Crappie Champion
    2010 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion
    2010 Buggs Bash Smallest Crappie Award

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast