HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Convince me, please!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Convince me, please!

I am a dedicated single pole jig fisherman. Absolutely love to fill that thump! I catch fish, but rarely a limit....including small fish. I have decent electronics, but I have admittedly not invested time dedicated to learning everything that I am being shown. I have a Lowrance Elite 7 ti with Totalscan transducer on the console and a Lowrance Elite 4X on the bow. I have a 36v MG trolling motor with foot control. No Autopilot or remote. I love crappie fishing!

Now, I never troll. Although I have tried it a few times, I always revert back to single poling. I have the rods and rod holders. With a new year, I am again entertaining the idea of spider rigging and/or longlining. The rigging up and tearing down to move, etc. has always been my hang up. It always turns into what I perceive as “work”, and therefore is abandoned for one rod.

Should I do it, or continue as is? Convince me!

Sent from my iPad using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think I can, ET. I'll have to leave that to somebody else....used to be that way but got wiser!Convince me, please!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    "If you ain't the lead dog, the scenery never changes" Unknown
    Thanks ET Fish thanked you for this post

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

ET .... I think the only thing that's going to convince you to use other techniques, besides single pole fishing, is to do those techniques and catch fish doing it. And all that requires is checking with your buds and C.c Tenn members to see when those techniques are the primary technique of the time ... then try them.

I prefer to cast, but if the conditions or time is better for multi-rod techniques ... then I'll usually give those a shot. I may even do both in the course of a day's fishing. I don't Spider Rig or Longline Troll, but I do Push jigs and/or cranks. In fact, I just got my 5 long rods outfitted with line counter reels, and hope to be able to more precisely Push them at the correct depth. I'm also getting a double seat setup, so I'm now faced with trying to convince my usual fishing partner to "stray" from casting the banks or half-heartedly trolling a single pole out the back of the boat when I do Push jigs out in open water. I know the technique works, because I've done it in other friend's boats (as well as alone in my own) and caught fish doing it.

Come to think of it ... that may be something you could look into doing; going with someone else when they're using those techniques and are catching fish. It might convince you to try it on your own, or it may convince you that it's not interesting or productive enough for you to consider doing it. But, I wouldn't let one or two instances make or break the idea. It may all boil down to whether or not you want to catch more fish and not feel the thump, or feel the thump and take the chance of continuing your current trend.
    Likes armyman, Crestliner08 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I single pole vertical jig 90 percent of the time. I have rods to spider rig, but they look new... It's my least favorite way to fish. But there are times, especially in the wind or when I'm trying to cover water.... That long lining can't be beat. The best thing to do is leave all other rods at home and leave yourself no choice.

Sent from my Z983 using Tapatalk
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944
    Likes minnowtime, skeetbum, BDBFishing LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I do a lot of longlining in fall here. But I would rather catch 10 fish single poking than 30 longlining any day.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Likes Eagle 1, Marvin, zig zag, BDBFishing LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I don’t know ET you really should try kayak fishing. As matter of fact I would trade you even for my kayak. Wouldn’t even charge you extra!

Honestly I would say stick with what you know and enjoy. Like you said it’s to be fun and enjoyable and not something considered work. I think the main advantage with more rods and lines out is possibility of catching greater numbers of fish. A line in the water is a chance. More lines = more chances.
    Likes armyman LIKED above post

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

If your having fun and your catching fish...I dont a problem just because your not catching a limit. Trolling does not guarantee a limit ....so just do what you want to do. I like to single pole.....and I like to pull cranks too. So I do both off and on. Catching fish is a bonus....I have fun either way.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Likes trypman1 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SuperDave336 View Post
    I don’t know ET you really should try kayak fishing. As matter of fact I would trade you even for my kayak. Wouldn’t even charge you extra!

Honestly I would say stick with what you know and enjoy. Like you said it’s to be fun and enjoyable and not something considered work. I think the main advantage with more rods and lines out is possibility of catching greater numbers of fish. A line in the water is a chance. More lines = more chances.
    Oh, I’ve got the kayaks, and I love it! I consider it my laid back fishing! I also float trout streams, fish “no outboard “ lakes, and use it for skinny water and out of the way adventures. The $55 in gas I pumped into the Lund last night reminded me just how much I love the yaks!
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.

Post Thanks / Like

I prefer to cast to the fish have the stuff to pull cranks, spider rig etc but always cast, like you I love to feel the fish hit the jig..

Post Thanks / Like

Come back to Michigan and walleye fish with us. After trolling for a few hours, you might never want to pick up another rod again!
    Likes Slabprowler LIKED above post

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast