Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Crappie Tournament Fishermen

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crappie Tournament Fishermen

How many of you guys participate in the Crappie USA or the CrappieMaster tournament trails?

If you don't but would like to let us know that as well.

What's your favorite method for fishing these tournaments? I realize you have to be proficient at all types of methods but what do you prefer. I already have an idea but want to hear about it from you.

If you don't mind share some of your experiences with us. Good or bad.

I would like to get into it maybe next year so tell us what you have learned. Not asking for trade secrets here.

The CH...

Post Thanks / Like

My partner and I have considered entering. We think we could compete, when fishing on Kentucky Lake. We fish an hour, by road, from Paris Landing, which is where the weigh ins usually are held. We are unclear on some rules. Do you have to put in and take out at Paris Landing? If so we are not interested. Once the tourney is over say at 3pm. I noticed you must be in the weigh in line by 4pm. Is this true?
    The only other thing that discouraged us, was there are a couple of guys that fish in the area we do sometimes. A couple of years back, we watched them take fish from another boat. We checked the local paper the next week, as they also live within 12 miles of us, and sure enough they won the tournament. Did they use any of the fish they took, I don't know. I can't say they broke any rules, because I can not prove it. It didn't look good to me. Just like in this last tournament, they seem to be in the top 15 always. They usually have some large fish. Don't get me wrong, I catch large fish also. The thing is, we fish that area 2-4 times a week. I think it is a fact, not bragging, we catch more fish from that bay than anyone. I think the creel and TWRA guys will back us up. We talk to them at least once a week. I would think if anyone was catching the larger fish on a regular basis it would be us. That year from Oct thru April we may have caught 5 2lb fish, out of over 4000 keepers. It is funny they catch 4 in 1 day and that day we measured almost everything that day. Maybe they are better, but I would challenge them any day any time 2 on 2, 1 pole , 1 man.

Post Thanks / Like

Me and my ten tear old son have been fishing crappie usa tournaments together for four years . We have had a whole lot of fun together and some time that we will never forget. We fish about ever lake different but we mainly troll or spider rig what ever you want to call it. There is a lot of good folks on the crappie usa trail that will help you in any way.
    Take a kid fishing

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting...so everyone doesn't always play by the rules. Well, I guess it's a little easier to do at a crappie tournament than at highly publicized bass tournament.

That is one thing that would keep me away too. Beat me straight up one on one...no problem there. CHEATING to win, HA! pathetic. Don't know how people sleep at night. Take note...Justice "will" prevail in the end.

That's a good start! Keep it coming.

Post Thanks / Like

Good to hear from ya JoeyB. That's what I'm really looking for. Meeting new people, fishing new lakes. Hey, if you place...all the better!

Post Thanks / Like

I use to fish some crappie tourneys and yes there is some cheating going on and some are honest.
    Here's what I use to see than I couldn't take it any more than I quit the tourneys just not worth it.

Use to fish one where the total weight would win, the winner 3 years in a row had some crappie planted in a crappie bag. He would pre-fish the tourney and put the larger fish in the bag and have them stashed in a bay tied to a bouy for some larger boats. Would tie off the bouy during the tourney and raise the bag and sneak the fish in the live well. Someone found out about it and put catfish in his bag.

Had some guys drop oil cans with holes in them on a brush pile to mess up a good spot.

Motor into the bay you were fishing and run around your boat in circles to spook the fish.

Have 2 or 3 boats fish together where they pooled they're catch to win the tourney.

Watched one tourney where you were only allowed to fish 2 poles, state law, and saw some of the boats with 5,6, or more poles in the water at one time.

Saw an adult yell at a kid for not landing a fish the right way. The fish came off the guys line when the kid tried to net it.

Mess with a guys trailer tires, cut the valve stems so the guys couldn't check in 10 miles away.

Some of these guys will do anything to win just to say they won a tourney. To cut throat for me.

Post Thanks / Like

i was thinkin bout fishin the one in columbus ms at the end of the month. after readin sparkys post, kinda doubt it now. even though i was thinkin bout fishin it, i am still sharing info with a member of this forum, who i don't know, about the lake and what the fish are doing now. thats just how i am. if i have to witness crap like what sparky did, i want nothin to do with it.
    Brian

Will fish for food!

Post Thanks / Like

I think the cheating is why they have polygraphs at all major tournaments now. I know they can be beat, but not by most crappie fishermen.

I plan to fish a few tourney's next year.

Post Thanks / Like

I fished the Crappie USA on Lanier In Georgia and had a great time did not win or even get a check but it seemed like a class a dead the rules say you can be made to take a polygraph and that should discourge cheating beacuse if you got caught you would more than lickley get your bass beat and go to jail not to mention a bad rap. If you have to cheat to win how can you sleep at night and if you have a partner and cheet one day things wont go right and the cat will be out of the bag.when you do0 win one it is a great feeling but if you cheet and win ain`t no big deal..You are just a scumbag...Dennis

Post Thanks / Like

My wife and I have fished several tournaments the last 6 years. We haven't placed very high but have enjoyed each one we have been in.
    CUSA quit having them in Iowa so we have been fishing Crappiemasters the last 2 years.
    Spider rigging is my preference, I know I need to troll crankbaits as they have won several tournaments.
    We'll fish at least 2 this year, there is nothing like going to a classic and trying to beat the "best".
    Polygraphs are given to 3 teams at each tournament. If you see someone you think is cheating you can turn them in at the weighin.
    Its a good time for all, even not placing in the top 20.
    Good time with my wife outside enjoying the outdoors,
    Fishing is a way of life. Teach your grandchildren to fish, hunt and enjoy the outdoors

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast